The Student Room Group

Im 19, am I still eligible for free college tuition?

Ive
(edited 7 years ago)
The new funding rules for schools and colleges mean that there is no funding for students to repeat the same A levels after 2 years of study. If you are already19 at the start of the academic year and have completed A levels or other full level 3 qualification then again there is no funding for your education. Have you spoken to your school/college? They might take you anyway or might be able to get funding if your medical absence is judged to be long enough to justify a retake year. You could try other local colleges and explain your circumstances and see what they say. Alternatively you may need to self study and retake some exams as a private candidate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Not sure how accurate that is, I know a few people that have messed up their A levels and have just started college. I've got an interview tomorrow, will inform on what they say
Original post by Dazman0106
Not sure how accurate that is

The removal of funding for most retake students and the reduction in funding for a third year of level 3 study are described here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/304728/Funding_Review_June_13_v4.pdf

It is still possible for 16-19 students to retake a year with different subjects or if there are very good academic reasons/extenuating circumstances to allow it with the same subjects. It is still possible for students under 23 to find college places for some programmes of study if they don't already have a full level 3 qualification.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest