The Student Room Group

PhD to MPhil to ?

Deleted
(edited 4 years ago)
I can't look at it without crying or stressing about it now, the whole PhD/MPhil thing is such a regret and I feel so bad about it all.

Then give it up and do something that you feel you can cope with and that makes you happier. Neither a PhD nor an MPhil are essential and they certainly aren't worth the amount of stress and upset you feel.

It sounds like withdrawing from the process at this point will be a load off your mind (and reduce funding worries too). There's no shame in it, and it doesn't stop you from having another go later in life if you want to.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Deleted
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by sarayak
Thank you.

It was just so shameful to quit the PhD in the first place and everyone was very disappointed. I then went to try and submit for this MPhil and wrote an entire thesis which I am currently chopping and snipping to make it submit-able. It feels like such a shame and a waste but I hate it and it's making me so stressed and I honestly feel like it is never ending...

I think I may just submit it as it is and then if they give me an MPhil then yay, if they don't then it's not the end of the world... I guess :-/

Screw what anyone else thinks, even your parents/friends. Life is too short to worry about what others think of you. There's no shame in quitting a PhD, it's not for everyone.
Reply 4
Original post by 'Ello Dave!
Screw what anyone else thinks, even your parents/friends. Life is too short to worry about what others think of you. There's no shame in quitting a PhD, it's not for everyone.

It's hard to not be disappointed! Thank you though :-)
Sounds like you might still want to leave with an MPhil. How long would it take to get that done so you can claim that?
Reply 6
Deleted
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by sarayak
I would want to leave with an MPhil of course, because it would be a nice reflection on the work I did do. I have already written a thesis and it was all ready to go. Bu then my supervisor 'reviewed' it for me and he has just completely slated it, saying 'add this chapter' 'remove this' 'that makes no sense' etc. he's made me feel fairly stupid and humiliated.

Maybe you are just too stressed, but it is totally normal to rewrite, add, etc. I have no idea, how much supervision you had during your degree and how many experience with writing a thesis, but those suggestions sound pretty normal too me, as writing in an academic way isn't that easy and not meant to be perfect at the first try. (To my experience with a supervisor who is actually interested in what you do, no (constructive!) critique would be totally unusual and it would be outstanding for you, to write it that fast that perfect.)

I'm at the point where I hate looking at it and reading his comments and trying to correct passages is painful and not giving me any sense of fulfilment anymore... what's the point in an MPhil if it's just a failed PhD?! You know, why put in all this hard work.

Because it would show, that you left it, because you did not like it and not because you are not able to do it.

So I am close to 'getting it done' but I just can't face the corrections which are major and then go through paying extra to go into a second year so I can actually do a viva. The viva will then more than likely give me more corrections (since I am totally over it) and then I have to pay more to keep going. I just see it as a never ending pain in my life that is preventing me from living happily at the moment.

You have to pay for it? :confused: Have they said, you need to do a second year?
I'd be stressed about the paying for it.

If no further money was owed to the uni to finish thr MPhil I'd say go for it but as it stands I can see why you're so stressed because on the one hand you probably don't want to leave empty handed but on the other it's like why pay good money to continue with something that's making you so stressed.

I don't know what to advise but it is understandable that you feel like you've got such a dilemma on your hands.
Go and talk to your supervisor(s). Do they think its worth you continuing with this or not? He/she may not realise the impact that the 'slating' has had on you - most supervisors aren't deliberately cruel, they do actually want the best for you.

If you feel that that your relationship(s) with your supervisors have broken down completely, go and see their boss (Dept Graduate Dean, Head of Dept etc - whoever is appropriate at your Uni) and talk this through before you simply drop out. This may be still 'do-able' with different people involved. Don't give up too soon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending