Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    :confused: I can't remember how to rank if you've got more than 1 of the same data using spearman's rank!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ferdrox)
    :confused: I can't remember how to rank if you've got more than 1 of the same data using spearman's rank!
    this should be in the academic forum- but you have three choices- you can either average the ranks if the numbers were different, or you can take the highest rank if all were different, or you can take the lowest rank. It doesn't matter much but I would go for the average. in any case it is just one more thing you can comment on in your writeup- i.e. what you did and why good luck

ReputationRep:
    Wah?! You have two data sets, you rank both of them from highest to lowest or lowest to highest (doesn't matter which, as long as you do the same to both). So for example if it was scores on a maths test and scores on an English test, you'd give the highest score on each test a rank of one, the second highest a rank of two, etc. You then find the differences between the ranks for each pupil and square it. I can't remember the exact formula but thats how the ranking works.

ReputationRep:
    but how d'u get the rank if theres more than 1. like say theres 2 of th same thing.

ReputationRep:
    but how d'u get the rank if theres more than 1. like say theres 2 of th same thing.
    Ah, I htink I see now. If there's two you go halfway between the ranks. So for example if you have two pieces of data sharing the highest score you give them both a rank of one and a half. Then you miss out 2 for the next ranking and go straight to 3.

ReputationRep:
    ok thnx!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.