This discussion is closed.
ferdrox
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
:confused: I can't remember how to rank if you've got more than 1 of the same data using spearman's rank!
riffraff
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ferdrox)
:confused: I can't remember how to rank if you've got more than 1 of the same data using spearman's rank!
this should be in the academic forum- but you have three choices- you can either average the ranks if the numbers were different, or you can take the highest rank if all were different, or you can take the lowest rank. It doesn't matter much but I would go for the average. in any case it is just one more thing you can comment on in your writeup- i.e. what you did and why good luck
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Wah?! You have two data sets, you rank both of them from highest to lowest or lowest to highest (doesn't matter which, as long as you do the same to both). So for example if it was scores on a maths test and scores on an English test, you'd give the highest score on each test a rank of one, the second highest a rank of two, etc. You then find the differences between the ranks for each pupil and square it. I can't remember the exact formula but thats how the ranking works.
ferdrox
but how d'u get the rank if theres more than 1. like say theres 2 of th same thing.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
but how d'u get the rank if theres more than 1. like say theres 2 of th same thing.
Ah, I htink I see now. If there's two you go halfway between the ranks. So for example if you have two pieces of data sharing the highest score you give them both a rank of one and a half. Then you miss out 2 for the next ranking and go straight to 3.
ferdrox
ok thnx!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (73)
18.53%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (79)
20.05%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (75)
19.04%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (85)
21.57%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (41)
10.41%
I haven't started researching yet (41)
10.41%

Watched Threads