The Student Room Group

Freshers/Party week is a rip off

I'm paying £27k in fees and they're wasting my time without even educating me. My university is holding a week where we have to interact with others.. I didn't pay for interaction sessions, I paid to study a degree. Do you think the university should cut fees to not take into account the first week or at least we should be given the freedom of choice to move in when lessons start because at the end of the day that's what I paid for.

I'll be in the library during that god forsaken week starting the years syllabus. Stupid university traditions wasting everyone's time. To think some people are excited about the prospect of unproductively spending their time gives me second thoughts about the work ethic students have in the modern era. :mad:

Rant over

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Most students do want it though, sorry. Like it or lump it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You sound like a right barrel of laughs mate. I think some interaction sessions could benefit you in all honesty. Uni isn't just about locking yourself away in your room studying, why is it always one extreme or the other with you people? Believe it or not it IS possible to have combine "unproductive" activities and still do well uni.

Enjoy the next 3 years alone while missing half the point of what university is. You'll regret your attitude when you realize that your coursemates will do just as good if not better than you while also having a laugh, social life and developing more as a person.
Reply 3
freak
Original post by Ggmu!
Most students do want it though, sorry. Like it or lump it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wasn't on the module list when I was looking through course details. I want to sue for being mis-informed.
Original post by iamu
freak

Why is he a freak for not wanting to get smashed and **** a potted plant for the bantz? :curious:
Original post by Abdul-Karim
I'm paying £27k in fees and they're wasting my time without even educating me. My university is holding a week where we have to interact with others.. I didn't pay for interaction sessions, I paid to study a degree. Do you think the university should cut fees to not take into account the first week or at least we should be given the freedom of choice to move in when lessons start because at the end of the day that's what I paid for.

I'll be in the library during that god forsaken week starting the years syllabus. Stupid university traditions wasting everyone's time. To think some people are excited about the prospect of unproductively spending their time gives me second thoughts about the work ethic students have in the modern era. :mad:

Rant over :angry::angry:

Oh wow you're such a nutcase. Why don't you try and make friends during that week instead of starting the work early. You won't probably understand anyway.

Gunners like you are the joke of the campus.
Original post by RoundTrip
You sound like a right barrel of laughs mate. I think some interaction sessions could benefit you in all honesty. Uni isn't just about locking yourself away in your room studying, why is it always one extreme or the other with you people? Believe it or not it IS possible to have combine "unproductive" activities and still do well uni. Enjoy the next 3 years alone while missing half the point of what university is. You'll regret your attitude when you realize that your coursemates will do just as good if not better than you while also having a laugh, social life and developing more as a person.
I could care less about my coursemates "life" prospects. That's their lives so their problems. I want to get the most out of my university time in terms of education. I want a first class BSc (hons). Social life isn't a factor that came into play when deciding I was capable of going to study at university.
Reply 8
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Why is he a freak for not wanting to get smashed and **** a potted plant for the bantz? :curious:

Who said you have to do any of those things?

It's about getting to know the people you're gonna be studying with for the next 3/4 years and having a laugh.

Wanting to sit in the library for a week? Boy is a freak
Reply 9
You think one week of partying is taking away the value of £27k fees :lol:

The shock Abdul will get when he realises how little tuition that £27k will buy him :rofl:
Original post by iamu
Who said you have to do any of those things?

It's about getting to know the people you're gonna be studying with for the next 3/4 years and having a laugh.

Wanting to sit in the library for a week? Boy is a freak

There are ways to get to know people without copious amounts of alcohol and juvenile parties

How is preferring to read freakish? I get so pissed off with society painting anyone who doesn't enjoy getting smashed and acting like a complete ******** a freak
Lighten up a bit, you have the rest of your life to work. One week is not going to matter that much.

This is a stupid illusion tbh. Not everyone gets smashed. A lot of sensible people are out and about during freshers. Anyway going out drinking is more about making friends for the rest of your uni life than actually drinking.

Everyone will be hyper vigilant since they're new to each other. You'll see. :smile:
I think freshers week is an important ritual for most people starting university and it will help to break the ice... You should attend events for the societies though, if getting 'smashed' isn't your scene. Meeting new people is part of the excitement of university!!
I personally won't be attending the events at Freshers Week, that being said my university (Warwick) starts lectures alongside Freshers Week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Henry Cavill.
This is a stupid illusion tbh. Not everyone gets smashed. A lot of sensible people are out and about during freshers. Anyway going out drinking is more about making friends for the rest of your uni life than actually drinking.

Everyone will be hyper vigilant since they're new to each other. You'll see. :smile:

If it's not about getting smashed why are there tons of leaflets advertising shots for one pound and all the events are held in clubs/involve drink?
Reply 15
There are ways to get to know people without copious amounts of alcohol and juvenile parties

How is preferring to read freakish? I get so pissed off with society painting anyone who doesn't enjoy getting smashed and acting like a complete ******** a freak

Ever been to freshers??

There is a **** ton more to do that 'copious amounts of alcohol and juvenile parties'
If it's not about getting smashed why are there tons of leaflets advertising shots for one pound and all the events are held in clubs/involve drink?

Because cheap alcohol is something that is universal to everyone and it gets people talking and relaxed.

I remember a lot of people in my freshers didn't drink but went along for the fresher events. It's about making friends tbh. The whole get smashed and go wild routine is just an illusion. I'm not denying that some people will but a lot won't go off the wall these are the people you want as your friends. :smile:
Original post by iamu
Ever been to freshers??

There is a **** ton more to do that 'copious amounts of alcohol and juvenile parties'

I didn't go to mine because it looked like utter **** but I have seen it
Reply 18
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Wasn't on the module list when I was looking through course details. I want to sue for being mis-informed.

University experience is pretty ****e without friends. For MOST OF US, freshers is a great way to interact, meet new student's and make friends during a time when people are more receptive to it.

It caters for the vast majority. Sorry if you're that small minority that feels hard done by.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That depends on the University that one attends. My entire Freshers Week (10 days) was held on campus.

Quick Reply

Latest