no

because it isn't rated that much
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes if you're not a Mancunian.

As a neutral I've always preferred the NLD. Sunderland/Newcastle has been good in recent seasons too.
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Liverpool is the big one for me. It's the first game I look for when the fixtures are released.

The inter city rivalry goes back centuries, as the two biggest and most successful clubs in English football we've always been at the top fighting each other for honours, or in recent years just trying to stop the other from winning more trophies.

City have only really become relevant in the past few years, it's not nice seeing them winning things but in the long term they will never achieve what United and Liverpool have. The best example of this is last season, when it became clear that either City or Liverpool would win the league. Virtually every United fan was rooting for City.

In Manchester its self, the derby takes great importance. It divides workplaces, schools and colleges, families, groups of friends. The days before and after the game are incredibly tense, you're either red or blue. However since i've left the area, it's nowhere near the same. It's very rare to meet a proper City fan whereas Liverpool fans are everywhere.

United/City games are often quite dull anyway, from a neutral pov how many 'exciting' ones have there been in the past few years? City demolishing us 6-1, the 3-2 with RVP's winner and the 4-3 with Owen's winner, maybe the FA Cup tie from a few years back or one of the games last season. I can't think of any more.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Liverpool-Man United > Merseyside and Manchester derbies.
Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Always felt LFC/Utd 'derby' was the bigger one, but I dont know Manchester. Liv/Utd games are normally very exciting as well really.

I do know that the atmosphere at the Manc derby is shockingly bad though. The NLD is normally genuinely electric in comparison, as is the Newcastle/Sunderland derby.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Zürich)
Always felt LFC/Utd 'derby' was the bigger one, but I dont know Manchester. Liv/Utd games are normally very exciting as well really.

I do know that the atmosphere at the Manc derby is shockingly bad though. The NLD is normally genuinely electric in comparison, as is the Newcastle/Sunderland derby.
Tyne-Wear derby is a good atmosphere, as is the Steel City.
freedom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yes, I think the best games are lpool vs city. Two attacking teams going for it from the outset.
I also like tottenham and chelsea.
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Liv/Utd games are normally very exciting as well really.
Interesting to hear a neutral say that. The Anfield games usually consist of United failing to turn up and playing poorly, and the Old Trafford games usually consist of Liverpool failing to turn up and playing poorly. Obviously you get a couple of exceptions, but most of our recent games follow that pattern. It's not like the London or Merseyside derby where you're guaranteed lots of goals, our games are usually quite low scoring.
redleader1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I was going to say City have only been relevant in recent years so no real history as what occurs between other rivalries. I dont think I can agree with the North London Derby either. Then you hear about the so called United fan hating on city being their bitter rivals, you know the ones that have never been to an away game. Real Mancs are fine.

For me it would have to be the West Yorkshire derby between Bradford and Leeds, great atmosphere.
Zürich
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
Interesting to hear a neutral say that. The Anfield games usually consist of United failing to turn up and playing poorly, and the Old Trafford games usually consist of Liverpool failing to turn up and playing poorly. Obviously you get a couple of exceptions, but most of our recent games follow that pattern. It's not like the London or Merseyside derby where you're guaranteed lots of goals, our games are usually quite low scoring.
Just get dramatic moments, the 3-0 last season, 4-1 a few years back. Remember a few 1-0 tense FA games over the years.

The football itself is not necessarily good like the NLD, but the drama is there. More so when Fergie was around, you could tell he hated losing that one!
samir12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just get dramatic moments, the 3-0 last season, 4-1 a few years back. Remember a few 1-0 tense FA games over the years.

The football itself is not necessarily good like the NLD, but the drama is there. More so when Fergie was around, you could tell he hated losing that one!
Name:  optimized_dsc_0312_53739.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  23.3 KB

He really did hate losing those games.
Zürich
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by samir12)
Name:  optimized_dsc_0312_53739.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  23.3 KB

He really did hate losing those games.
haha, yeah. Remember the 4-1 loss when Benitez was still around. Fuming!
samir12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
haha, yeah. Remember the 4-1 loss when Benitez was still around. Fuming!
Out of his whole career, that Liverpool loss probably hurt the most. It was at Old Trafford, conceding 4 goals against Liverpool managed by Benetez xD
Manchester United
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Manchester derby only used to really effect people that lived in Manchester. A lot of my family and friends have supported City all their life's. My life went into lock-down after we got beat 6-1.
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, it's overrated but its a weird rivalry. You get a lot of banter between the two sides but at the end of the day, most of the City fans know they don't really have a leg to stand on in an argument. They weren't competitive with United for over two decades and some seasons there wasn't even a game cos they were in a lower division so the derby is kind of a lost thing for my generation. It became huge for those in the 60s and 70s when both teams had a good team, became bitter with the hooligan boom and then tailed off until 2008.

It's a derby which has had its memorable moments over the years and really caught fire off the field at times but its never sustained itself long term like United/Liverpool.
Badshah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Football is overrated.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Badshah)
Football is overrated.
GTFO.
Opts
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1) Man Utd vs Liverpool

2) Man Utd vs Arsenal

3) Man Utd vs City

My personal hierarchy, cba putting Leeds in really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (40)
7.72%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (301)
58.11%
No (177)
34.17%

Watched Threads