Occupational Therapy Watch

amy.96x
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I will be applying to Uni this year to study Occupational Therapy, but I am unsure where the best places are for me to gain experience, does anyone have any advice or recommendations.
Thankyou
Charlotte's Web
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Any voluntary work can be appropriate, as long as it shows the application tutors that you are caring and have the transferrable skills required to be an OT. Don't feel disappointed if you can't find anything directly related to OT, the universities are aware of how hard it is to get any experience in healthcare.

You might want to contact local care homes, elderly day care centres, elderly community groups, alzheimers/dementia charities. Some further afield may reimburse your travel costs. As an OT, a vast amount of the work you do will be with older people, so any experience working with them would be beneficial. It would also be worth looking into learning disability and mental health options, so it's worth contacting any support groups or day centres you can find. If organisations aren't taking on volunteers, ask if you could come in for a week or two for work experience or just to observe.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (159)
18.64%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (83)
9.73%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (142)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (122)
14.3%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (82)
9.61%
How can I be the best version of myself? (265)
31.07%

Watched Threads