The Student Room Group

What a levels should I do to become like a Biologist?

I want to do Biology,Chemistry&Psychology but people say I need Maths as well? Then I was thinking of English alongside or Law?

And what about Human Biology? is that a level respected?
I would say those that you said, but perhaps maths instead of psychology (coming from a BSc psychology holder :P)
Biology and Chemistry are no-brainers for a Biology degree. Maths would probably also be helpful.
Just make sure you have at least 2 sciences.

Biology (obvs), chemistry (preferred as the second science) then maths or physics (but you really don't need these).. you just need 2 sciences.

I would stay towards to 'pure' sciences more, but human bio as a third one then sure!! Good luck!
Reply 4
No point doing Human Biology if you're doing straight Biology. Biology includes components of both human and plant, so I think you're risking too much crossover, and it's not necessary.

The last subject doesn't really matter. AS Maths might help you (statistics module probably the most helpful) and a few bits (like logarithms) but I don't think it's the end of the world, and they will provide the materials to learn that during your first year if it's needed on the course.

Go for something else you can do well in, because meeting your offer will be most important after making sure you have biol/chem.
Original post by elmosandy
I want to do Biology,Chemistry&Psychology but people say I need Maths as well? Then I was thinking of English alongside or Law?

Biology and chemistry are perfect. Maths would be the better one (over psychology) but if you do psychology that won't be awful, especially if you have a real interest in it and you think you would do better in it that maths. When you say English, lit or lang? Literature is far better. Law A level wont really had anything, especially if it is a 5th A level.

Where are you thinking of applying? I'm just about to start my first year reading biology so I'll happily answer any questions :smile:
Most Biology degrees simply ask for Biology and a second science (in my case, Maths).
As for Human Biology, it is often considered in place of, but not alongside, Biology. So it's really a case of "either or" and if you want to do a general Biology degree, then Human Biology is not the way to go.

So you're good with Biology and Chemistry, and then it's a case of whatever subjects look interesting to you.
Reply 7
Original post by loperdoper
Most Biology degrees simply ask for Biology and a second science (in my case, Maths).
As for Human Biology, it is often considered in place of, but not alongside, Biology. So it's really a case of "either or" and if you want to do a general Biology degree, then Human Biology is not the way to go.

So you're good with Biology and Chemistry, and then it's a case of whatever subjects look interesting to you.

What if you want to read Human Biology at Uni?:smile:
What if you want to read Human Biology at Uni?:smile:

Then Human Biology + a science (Chemistry) is the better choice for you.
Reply 9
Original post by loperdoper
Then Human Biology + a science (Chemistry) is the better choice for you.

Thankyou

Hi there,
Biology.
Regards,
Qwertyabcdef123
Reply 11
Original post by qwertyabcdef123
Hi there,
Biology.
Regards,
Qwertyabcdef123

Reply 12
Original post by Nymthae
No point doing Human Biology if you're doing straight Biology. Biology includes components of both human and plant, so I think you're risking too much crossover, and it's not necessary.

The last subject doesn't really matter. AS Maths might help you (statistics module probably the most helpful) and a few bits (like logarithms) but I don't think it's the end of the world, and they will provide the materials to learn that during your first year if it's needed on the course.

Go for something else you can do well in, because meeting your offer will be most important after making sure you have biol/chem.

Thanks :smile: x & yeah - I'm doing Biology&Human Biology IGCSE and the crossover is f***ing awful... I get more or less the same piece of homework for both of them?

Quick Reply