The Student Room Group

How long did you have driving lessons for until you passed?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by idontevenbeth
For my theory it took a month and passed first time

Been doing practical since April and my driving instructor is very good and says it'll take about March time to get my confidence up and to be perfect on the roads, so yeah about a year

edit: I'm doing one 1hr lesson a week

Thats so good! I need to start learning my theory actually haha.
Im taking about 40 lessons and ive booked my testt. Im not ready for it though. I just really badly want to pass and get driving lessons over with for good!
Reply 22
Original post by mcfc
I started in August and passed in November, so it took me around 3 months to pass. Btw I used to have a lesson a week (was an hour long). So I guess I took around 15 hours of lessons :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow thats really really good!! I dont think i will be beating that haha but hopefully i wont be too much longer:biggrin:
Reply 23
Original post by Tillybop
50 hours of lessons spread over a year :h:

thank you!
Reply 24
Original post by Yeah dude
Well the first time The car rolled and went through a fence, ironically the song on the radio was 'they see me Rollin'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahah!!!
Original post by JessL97
I've just started learning to drive (just had my second lesson today) and i was wondering how long it took other people to learn and pass their test. I hate the learning process and just want to get good quickly so i can pass.

hey,

i recently passed my test earlier this year, and i had about 35 driving lessons before i took my 1st driving test. but i wasn't doing any practice inbetween lessons. if your parents have a manual-geared car then you can practice inbetween lessons, and that'll make you better and you can pass in a quicker period of time :smile:

So yeah basically it will take anywhere between 30-40 lessons, depending on how much practice outside of lessons you've been doing and your natural driving ability. Bear in mind though, these lessons will prepare you for the test. It's very possible you fail your test because of a silly mistake/nerves etc. i failed my first because of nerves, but nailed my second haha.
Reply 26
2 hours (the test) !

I had my own car though and was taught by my Dad, drove for 2 months daily - passed first time. Just gotta get used to it!
Reply 27
Original post by Fas
hey,

i recently passed my test earlier this year, and i had about 35 driving lessons before i took my 1st driving test. but i wasn't doing any practice inbetween lessons. if your parents have a manual-geared car then you can practice inbetween lessons, and that'll make you better and you can pass in a quicker period of time :smile:

So yeah basically it will take anywhere between 30-40 lessons, depending on how much practice outside of lessons you've been doing and your natural driving ability. Bear in mind though, these lessons will prepare you for the test. It's very possible you fail your test because of a silly mistake/nerves etc. i failed my first because of nerves, but nailed my second haha.

Yeah ive been practicing in my parents car whenever i can (its alot easier to drive than my instructors car so i keep stalling in lessons:frown: ) so hopefully that will help me a lot. Yeah thats what im worried about, being too nervous and mucking up in my test :/ ah well i have lots of time to go yet hah. Thank you! :smile:
i started in june and passed in august :smile:
Reply 29
11 months from when I started til when I passed my test..but I missed 6 weeks worth of lessons during a bad winter, and another 6 weeks during my AS exams. So about 8 months of lessons (I think I had somewhere between 25-30 lessons)
Reply 30
Passed theory first try pass test first try altogether about 2 months due to test booking delay
Original post by JessL97
thank you!

No problem :h:

It takes everyone different amounts of time to learn, and it depends on a large number of factors. People learn at different paces - and there are a lot of things that you need to know. Most people think that when they understand things like how to change gear that they know it all. But road safety, road sense and dealing with unforeseen circumstances take a lot longer to learn. Some of my friends passed quickly, and put pressure on me to pass. But ignore what other people do. Learn at your own pace. There's no point trying to compete. At the end of the day you will only pass when you're are ready, so you might as well just relax and enjoy the learning process. Really take the time to enjoy learning to drive. It's a really memorable experience. :smile:
A year. So glad not to need lessons anymore!
Only 3 to 4 weeks but I got a car for my birthday so I was driving a few hours most days with my parents as well as having lessons :smile:
I took about a year and 2 months until I passed (on my 2nd test). But I didn't ever drive outside of lessons, that can make a difference. I know someone who only took a few months because he drove everywhere with his parents as well as on driving lessons.

I also passed my theory test on the 2nd time, and high demand for that centre meant when I failed my first one I had to wait just over a month. If I passed it first time I might have passed my driving test quicker.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JessL97
I've just started learning to drive (just had my second lesson today) and i was wondering how long it took other people to learn and pass their test. I hate the learning process and just want to get good quickly so i can pass.

It took me 7 months, failed test, passed 2nd time to get my driving licence. I know how you feel!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just popped this in the Learning to Drive forum for you :smile:
I started in December and passed my theory first time in March and practical first time in July.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Just popped this in the Learning to Drive forum for you :smile:

Thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by CVK Abhiroop
Wow you've just become my role model. i shall live my life aiming to beat you when i do indeed start taking driving lessons :P

Its not a competition lol, I left out the part where i span off the motorway three weeks later XD

Original post by JessL97
Wow thats so fast! I dont think i will be able to do it that quick haha. Ive only had 2 lessons (3hrs all together):lol:

Just go at your pace and not the instructors, i think they tend to drag lessons out as its how they make money. The test is really not that hard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending