The Student Room Group

Which is the most difficult non-ukcat/low ukcat uni to get into?

With a score of 640 I can't really apply anywhere that weights the UKCAT too much. I was looking at bristol and birmingham, however my teacher says it may be risky with 7a*s 5as at gcse (they usually want 8+ apparently)

where would you suggest I apply?
You ukcat score is not really low considering this year's VR and DA are considerably more difficult and hence it is likely that UKCAT average scores are likely to come down so i'd wait until early october to see what the averages for this year are!

As for your GCSES, birmingham may be a bit tough considering they assess highly on gcse performance however you may stand a solid chance at Bristol if your personal statement is good!
Reply 2
Original post by Medboy100
You ukcat score is not really low considering this year's VR and DA are considerably more difficult and hence it is likely that UKCAT average scores are likely to come down so i'd wait until early october to see what the averages for this year are!

As for your GCSES, birmingham may be a bit tough considering they assess highly on gcse performance however you may stand a solid chance at Bristol if your personal statement is good!

I have no idea if my personal statement is good like non of my friends will read it and my dad drives me crazy correcting the grammar, i have no real feedback :frown:
Original post by NancyRoseC
I have no idea if my personal statement is good like non of my friends will read it and my dad drives me crazy correcting the grammar, i have no real feedback :frown:

Hmm, perhaps you should ask a science teacher or a teacher at your school who has previous experience with medical applications and I believe the student room has a wonderful source of previous personal statements which you could look at to see how others have written good statements.

Here is the link - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Category:Medicine_Personal_Statements
Reply 4
Original post by NancyRoseC

I know its annoying but your dad is right to do that, some unis do mark you on quality of writing and you want it to look as good as possible!

Make sure you have info in your Ps on why you want to do medicine, show you understand the challenges of the career, what you do outside medicine and volunteering (like sports or clubs), the qualities you have that will make you a good doctor and explain the experience you've had that show your qualities and that you have learned from.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending