The Student Room Group

In love with my best friend? Unrequited love?

Hi, I've been best friends with this guy for 2 years. He's everything I want in a guy- we talk 24/7 from morning till night, we tell each other all our secrets, he's quite a flirty guy as well and... I just fell in love with him. We always spoke on the phone for around 2/3 hours a day. I told him how I felt on Friday, he did not feel the same and felt it was best to end the friendship so I could get over him and now completely ignores me- he only sometimes says hi now. He lives at the end of my road so we see each other every day which is killing me. It hurts me to think of him with someone else or him not being in my life anymore. How will I get over this :frown:?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I've been best friends with this guy for 2 years. He's everything I want in a guy- we talk 24/7 from morning till night, we tell each other all our secrets, he's quite a flirty guy as well and... I just fell in love with him. We always spoke on the phone for around 2/3 hours a day. I told him how I felt on Friday, he did not feel the same and felt it was best to end the friendship so I could get over him and now completely ignores me- he only sometimes says hi now. He lives at the end of my road so we see each other every day which is killing me. It hurts me to think of him with someone else or him not being in my life anymore. How will I get over this :frown:?

You've alreay done the first step, cutting all contact, this healing WON'T BE EASY but i can be done, rid yourself of any triggering factors, so remove any photos of the two of you; removing ANYTHING that reminds you of him
Reply 2
Original post by Tomsta
You've alreay done the first step, cutting all contact, this healing WON'T BE EASY but i can be done, rid yourself of any triggering factors, so remove any photos of the two of you; removing ANYTHING that reminds you of him

I see him all the time though as we live near each other and pass each other at least once a day, we both have mutual friends too :frown: Would it be possible to get over him when I see him all the time? It hurts so much :frown:
Reply 3
I see him all the time though as we live near each other and pass each other at least once a day, we both have mutual friends too :frown: Would it be possible to get over him when I see him all the time? It hurts so much :frown:

It is possible, but it will take longer, don't spend anymore time around him than you have to, even if that means declining day/nights out, sometimes in life you have to be a little selfish
Reply 4
:console: you did the right thing in telling him, and you'll eventually realize that the way he reacted makes him not the guy you want to be spending your life with.

You'll find someone better than that though :hugs: don't worry.
Reply 5
Original post by Tomsta
It is possible, but it will take longer, don't spend anymore time around him than you have to, even if that means declining day/nights out, sometimes in life you have to be a little selfish

Thanks, I'll try, it's so painful and can't stop thinking about him :frown:
Original post by Tootles
:console: you did the right thing in telling him, and you'll eventually realize that the way he reacted makes him not the guy you want to be spending your life with.

Thank you :redface: It's just killing me, we were together all the time and I don't know how I'll get through this as he's always there and we just got on so well :frown: It's killing me, the thought of him with someone else is unbearable or not speaking to him again :frown:
Reply 6

Believe me i know the feeling i was in love with my best friend for 2 years
Reply 7

Thank you :redface: It's just killing me, we were together all the time and I don't know how I'll get through this as he's always there and we just got on so well :frown: It's killing me, the thought of him with someone else is unbearable or not speaking to him again :frown:
I've been through that too - it will get easier after a week or two. Just try to keep busy, do you have any hobbies?
That sucks that he acted like that, in a weird way though perhaps he thought he was being decent as guys have a fear of leading people on when they find out how they feel. Perhaps it was a complete surprise to him and he just didn't know how to react. Either way i agree with what has been said, although its tempting to look back through old photos and messages, best way is to cut all ties. You will see him about but just hold your head high and show him that you are strong enough to get through it. If you got on as well as you did then he obviously thought a lot of you as a person, theres a famous saying somewhere along the lines of- i met him when he messed up as he still had too much living to do, one day he will realise. I like that just as it shows that its not you, probably just circumstance and timing. If he wants to have a few years being free and single and dating around then he probably doesn't want to start something knowing that he will have to hurt you at some point. If he feels for you then he might just not be ready for that commitment. Maybe you can be friends again in the future, for now though be selfish and do the things you want to do.
Reply 9
Original post by Tootles

Hmmm...perhaps. Certainly my first reaction upon hearing he had cut all contact was along the lies of "wow, harsh" but we don't know him. He could really care about the op (as a friend) and knows being friends will only cause more pain.

Or he could just a prick and didn't value the OP's friendship as much as he should have.

Could be either. Plus he's a guy, and I know I'll get shot down for saying this but, in my experience, many (not all) guys, straight guys at least, are not great in such situations or being able to really talk about things. To him th solution is simple, give space. It doesn't mean her certainly does not care.

It's not something I think I could do to a good friend, it can be a really selfless and brave act.

But either way, you did all you could (OP). You told him and at least you know he does not reciprocate. You will get there in time but I can't imagine how difficult it is for you. Not just losing the friendship but seeing him every day. I can't offer much uf sympathies.
Original post by Tootles
I've been through that too - it will get easier after a week or two. Just try to keep busy, do you have any hobbies?

Yeah I do. I volunteer a lot and enjoy reading etc. I'll try to keep my mind off but everytime I see him, my stomach kind of drops and I just want to talk :frown:
Original post by RachelFiveee
That sucks that he acted like that, in a weird way though perhaps he thought he was being decent as guys have a fear of leading people on when they find out how they feel. Perhaps it was a complete surprise to him and he just didn't know how to react. Either way i agree with what has been said, although its tempting to look back through old photos and messages, best way is to cut all ties. You will see him about but just hold your head high and show him that you are strong enough to get through it. If you got on as well as you did then he obviously thought a lot of you as a person, theres a famous saying somewhere along the lines of- i met him when he messed up as he still had too much living to do, one day he will realise. I like that just as it shows that its not you, probably just circumstance and timing. If he wants to have a few years being free and single and dating around then he probably doesn't want to start something knowing that he will have to hurt you at some point. If he feels for you then he might just not be ready for that commitment. Maybe you can be friends again in the future, for now though be selfish and do the things you want to do.

I don't think I could manage being friends again as I will always want more. I hurt so much, I obviously misread the signs as I thought he must like me as well since we were talking/hanging out every day, talking all the time etc. It's gonna take a long time to heal :frown:
Original post by bethabbott
it's devastating how long you were friends for, but honestly you dont know whats going to happen next. i was best friends with this boy in the year above for around 2 years and we were exactly like how you two were- he was my best friend who i had a lot of feelings for. i never told him this, and one day he just stopped speaking to me all together. a year later, a very drunk me went up to him at a sixth form party and just hugged him and asked why did he leave. a month later andddd... (the photo attached, im new to this i dont know how it works)

so for us (now a year on!) things did work out. but if he's reacted in such a way, maybe its time to see he wasnt the person best for you. honestly hope things turn out well for you, i know how much the hurt is haha

I'm glad it worked out for you :redface: I wish things worked for me as well but sometimes we can't have what we want. I just wish that he liked me back and it hurts me to think of him with someone else. We live near each other so if he got a girlfriend, I would be devastated. It hurts to even look at him. I hope it gets better :frown:
Original post by River85
Hmmm...perhaps. Certainly my first reaction upon hearing he had cut all contact was along the lies of "wow, harsh" but we don't know him. He could really care about the op (as a friend) and knows being friends will only cause more pain.

Or he could just a prick and didn't value the OP's friendship as much as he should have.

Could be either. Plus he's a guy, and I know I'll get shot down for saying this but, in my experience, many (not all) guys, straight guys at least, are not great in such situations or being able to really talk about things. To him th solution is simple, give space. It doesn't mean her certainly does not care.

It's not something I think I could do to a good friend, it can be a really selfless and brave act.

But either way, you did all you could (OP). You told him and at least you know he does not reciprocate. You will get there in time but I can't imagine how difficult it is for you. Not just losing the friendship but seeing him every day. I can't offer much uf sympathies.

Thanks :redface: I just wish he felt the same, it hurts so much and I don't know if it will get better since I'm going to be bumping into him all the time :frown:. I don't think I can manage to be friends, I'll always want more which he can't give :frown:
Original post by River85

I've noticed it in a lot of people, sometimes including women. I like to think I'm pretty good at being able to talk about feelings. But that's a good point, maybe he's finding it a little uncomfortable because of that.
Yeah I do. I volunteer a lot and enjoy reading etc. I'll try to keep my mind off but everytime I see him, my stomach kind of drops and I just want to talk :frown:
I know, that's what it's like for everyone :hugs: you'll get over him, don't worry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending