phatimas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
im in sixth form and i wasnt allowed to take another subject so im self teaching myself as biology so are there any study techniques, websites, resources and textbooks that i would find usefull?? (the exam board is ocr)
Thank you !!!!!
MarvelAgent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi Phatimas

The fact that you took your own initiative and opted to study for A-level Biology, despite setbacks you have had at school, I got to admit your determination impressed me a lot.

I have completed both AS and A2 Biology and I will share some advice with you

1) In terms of textbooks..... I would definitely recommend the official OCR endorsed textbook for AS Biology, as it present what you need to learn in OCR specification in an very concise and informative manners, key essential in exam revision!
I would also recommend Biology 1 for OCR by Mary Jones... this textbook should be used an supplement to your OCR textbook, this green book go through the specification in a lot more detail than the OCR textbook, which will be an invaluable asset in helping you to gain an better overall understanding of the OCR specification.

2) In terms of other resources, may I also recommend the CGP revision guide for OCR Biology... this book condense the specification in a clear summary.
Since we are on the topic of extra resources, I understand that at school you would probably to told that you need to complete extra reading (e.g. journals) in order to achieve the top grades.... now I would be brutally honest and tell you reading journal is an waste of time... because if you think about it, what are the probability that something you read in journals will be appear in exam papers..... Very slim!

3) In regards to study technique I would say make sure you start revision early, because the volume of information required to learn is an step-up from GCSE.

I can't not stress this enough, make sure your revision is past paper orientated, as the marking in OCR Biology is notoriously specific....If you don't used the correct key terminology, you will lose a lot of marks. And once you did enough papers.... you will begin to see what terminology you need to use and the approach that you need to deploy when answering biology question at A-level. (It deviate quite a lot from GCSE)
One more thing I am keen to emphasis is make sure that you have actually understood the content and not simply rote learned the content and you can make links between different part of specifications....because exams in A-levels Biology will require you to apply your knowledge to novel contexts...That's why it is essential to have an good overall understanding across the biology modules.

I hope my advice has been useful to you.

Finally, I would like to say make sure you are enjoying your studies in Biology and I am in no doubt that if you invest the hard-work and time into A-level Biology, that your hard-work will pay off in Result Days!! ....---Mavel
prof moriartress
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Waow you sound a lot like my AS biology teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile
phatimas
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by MarvelAgent)
Hi Phatimas

The fact that you took your own initiative and opted to study for A-level Biology, despite setbacks you have had at school, I got to admit your determination impressed me a lot.

I have completed both AS and A2 Biology and I will share some advice with you

1) In terms of textbooks..... I would definitely recommend the official OCR endorsed textbook for AS Biology, as it present what you need to learn in OCR specification in an very concise and informative manners, key essential in exam revision!
I would also recommend Biology 1 for OCR by Mary Jones... this textbook should be used an supplement to your OCR textbook, this green book go through the specification in a lot more detail than the OCR textbook, which will be an invaluable asset in helping you to gain an better overall understanding of the OCR specification.

2) In terms of other resources, may I also recommend the CGP revision guide for OCR Biology... this book condense the specification in a clear summary.
Since we are on the topic of extra resources, I understand that at school you would probably to told that you need to complete extra reading (e.g. journals) in order to achieve the top grades.... now I would be brutally honest and tell you reading journal is an waste of time... because if you think about it, what are the probability that something you read in journals will be appear in exam papers..... Very slim!

3) In regards to study technique I would say make sure you start revision early, because the volume of information required to learn is an step-up from GCSE.

I can't not stress this enough, make sure your revision is past paper orientated, as the marking in OCR Biology is notoriously specific....If you don't used the correct key terminology, you will lose a lot of marks. And once you did enough papers.... you will begin to see what terminology you need to use and the approach that you need to deploy when answering biology question at A-level. (It deviate quite a lot from GCSE)
One more thing I am keen to emphasis is make sure that you have actually understood the content and not simply rote learned the content and you can make links between different part of specifications....because exams in A-levels Biology will require you to apply your knowledge to novel contexts...That's why it is essential to have an good overall understanding across the biology modules.

I hope my advice has been useful to you.

Finally, I would like to say make sure you are enjoying your studies in Biology and I am in no doubt that if you invest the hard-work and time into A-level Biology, that your hard-work will pay off in Result Days!! ....---Mavel
Thank you so much for the great advice!!!!
:bigsmile:
Redbird.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you worked out how you'll do the practical elements of the course?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (18)
8.74%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (125)
60.68%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
14.56%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (29)
14.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (4)
1.94%

Watched Threads