Difficulties in interracial relationships Watch

SuitAndTieIsh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone who has been in an interracial relationship has faced any difficulties such as culture differences/clashes or disapproval from families or anything of that sort and how it was dealt with?

I'm a Pakistani male and I'm currently six months into dating a Persian girl.
Although everything at the moment is going very well, I've learnt that her culture is a huge part of her life, I also feel that her family will disapprove of me and I'll have difficulty fitting in, same with my family and introducing her, as neither of them know anything about us at the moment. I was just hoping for some advice from someone who has been through something similar themselves or advice on how I could adapt to the situation better and make things easier for us both.

Thankyou
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Racial or cultural problems? No.

I once went out with a girl whose brother and father were both in the marines. I walked in and they both said "Nope".

There was also another girl who concealed from me the fact that she supported Arsenal football club.
SuitAndTieIsh
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
Racial or cultural problems? No.

I once went out with a girl whose brother and father were both in the marines. I walked in and they both said "Nope".

There was also another girl who concealed from me the fact that she supported Arsenal football club.
That's harsh but exactly what I'm afraid of!
How did you respond? And did you just leave the relationship at that or try talk them round?
katiiiiie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just don't make a big deal of it really. Be yourself.
khadieja
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm in an interracial relationship currently, I try not to focus on it too much though! Cross that bridge when we get there &all of that
Sha-boom
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My parents and grand parents weren't bothered that i was with a black girl.. Im a white guy from a fairly middleclass background and they werent bothered. I wouldnt worry.. and if the relationship is meant to be then it will all fall into place.
Reluctant Economist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was in an "interracial" relationship for three years. The cultural issues became too much at the end of the day. His parents didn't approve and mine didn't know. :cool:
shakool2kool
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well I'm a product of an interracial relationship, mums side of the family didn't really mind at all, dad's side had a big problem. Not quite sure how he dealt with it, but if he could man it in the 80's then my friend you can do it in 2014.

Plus you and your gf hardly have a big cultural difference and I'm assuming you both have the same religion, which seems to be more important to people in these type of relationships.
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My late granddads both had interracial relationships, on one side is English and Catholic and the late grandmother was a Jew from India, not too sure of her actual ethnicity as we always assumed she was Indian as her Jewish faith was never made a big deal off.

My other late granddad is off Chinese origin and was a devout Taoist. The grandmother we don't know her actual race as she would give you a good belting for asking. She was from the northern parts of China though it is believed she is mostly of Russian and Mongolian blood. She never believed in any religion.

There never really was much problems between them especially considering they were pre-WW2 lovers.

My parents, they never really had any conflicts due to culture or race or religion. Both generally enjoyed money more than anything else. I guess it does help that they all lived in Singapore where you simply don't have time to ponder such things as we work 12 hours per day usually

Myself, all the major long term relationships has been with women of Nordic origins. Problems? My ex-wife from Sweden used to have a tonne of problem with me because we had a significantly different outlook with regards to money, time and work. She sort of valued time more than money as she had the mindset of work for enough money to live and the rest was her time to do what she liked. Myself I only believe in one equation money = power = freedom. Had lots of issues with her but race wasn't the source of it.

Does it work? It can work if you put your mind to it and make it work. Some degree of maturity and level-headedness is essential and to an extent one party does need a fairly good understanding of the other's culture, I was quite fortunate because when I was 15 or so I somewhat developed an interest into all things Swedish after listening to this group called Roxette, prior to that I was generally mostly into American or British stuff only.

Now my other half is Norwegian, we get on well because we have lots of common interests such as fast cars, travelling, good food, we are both fairly entrepreneurial in mindset and somewhat similar in many believes, some differences exist especially with regard to upbringing of children which does sometimes pose a problem because she has an 8 year old son and I also have an 8 year old son and they couldn't be more different despite living under the same roof. Lucky her son likes my approach more than hers'
username1060389
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SuitAndTieIsh)
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone who has been in an interracial relationship has faced any difficulties such as culture differences/clashes or disapproval from families or anything of that sort and how it was dealt with?

I'm a Pakistani male and I'm currently six months into dating a Persian girl.
Although everything at the moment is going very well, I've learnt that her culture is a huge part of her life, I also feel that her family will disapprove of me and I'll have difficulty fitting in, same with my family and introducing her, as neither of them know anything about us at the moment. I was just hoping for some advice from someone who has been through something similar themselves or advice on how I could adapt to the situation better and make things easier for us both.

Thankyou
I have two friends that are in a inter-racial relationship. The girl is white and her bf is asian. Her parents are absolutely fine with the relationship and have welcomed him into the family and their home. However, his dad is fine with the relationship but his mum does not approve, has refused to meet her and will not let her stay at their house when she visits her bf , as his mum thinks that "all white girls are sluts" and does not want him to be in a relationship with someone that is white.

It does make it difficult for them to see each other during uni holidays unless he stays at her house or they stay in a hotel near his parents, but they aren't going to let the mum's disapproval break them up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
I'm a white girl in a year long relationship with an Asian whose family is Hindu.
He hasn't told his friends or family about me because he thinks they wont approve.
It is really hard sometimes to be kept a secret, and it can make me feel insecure and think that he doesn't think I'm good enough for his family, or maybe that he's embarassed to be with a white girl or silly things like that.

I think it just depends on the person and how open-minded their family is on whether it becomes a problem or not.
shakool2kool
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm a white girl in a year long relationship with an Asian whose family is Hindu.
He hasn't told his friends or family about me because he thinks they wont approve.
It is really hard sometimes to be kept a secret, and it can make me feel insecure and think that he doesn't think I'm good enough for his family, or maybe that he's embarassed to be with a white girl or silly things like that.

I think it just depends on the person and how open-minded their family is on whether it becomes a problem or not.
A bit weird how he hasn't told his friends, I get to a certain extent his family not knowing but everyone else :confused:
Surely if they don't approve then their not really friends and he doesn't need them in his life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (70)
15.91%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (44)
10%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (82)
18.64%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
13.86%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (48)
10.91%
How can I be the best version of myself? (135)
30.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed