Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ive had a ball since being here. And one of the things ive noticed is ive started using words and phrases ive seen here.

IE) Lads, Blimey, "he's fit" etc.

Its great! Ive introduced it to my friends too!

Anyone had a similar experience with the world lingo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Ive had a ball since being here. And one of the things ive noticed is ive started using words and phrases ive seen here.

IE) Lads, Blimey, "he's fit" etc.

Its great! Ive introduced it to my friends too!

Anyone had a similar experience with the world lingo?
    Yes, you call us pomms and yanks call us limeys. Also when drinking in 'walkabout' I have noticed lots of Aussie phrases.

ReputationRep:
    why pomms? is it like limeys but for apples?

ReputationRep:
    I really dunnow why we call you poms. There are the universal ones, Aussies, Kiwi's, yanks, poms, ruskies...

ReputationRep:
    When I was in the States for a while, and I had to go to a High School there, I taught some of the other students words like 'tosser', 'w***er' and more general terms like 'geezer'....oh, to be 12 and stupid again! I didn't really learn any new words from them, thanks to watching many US TV shows before moving..

ReputationRep:
    My word here, Shithouse (Shid-ouse), meaning bad, never seen anyone here use it. The named a skit show over here Skithouse, as a joke.

ReputationRep:
    My word here, Shithouse (Shid-ouse), meaning bad, never seen anyone here use it. The named a skit show over here Skithouse, as a joke.
    I use Shithouse...but I did pick it up from from Aussies.

ReputationRep:
    We use it at school sometimes. Most common form is "built like a brick shithouse", meaning one big, tough sonofa*****. Not sure where it came from, some movie I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    I use Shithouse...but I did pick it up from from Aussies.
    See! There you go, your on your way!

ReputationRep:
    ok people, its late and im sleepy! Goodnight!

ReputationRep:
    POME was the acronym for Property of Mother England - ie the convicts

ReputationRep:
    ahh, I see!

ReputationRep:
    You guys have got me saying "Take the mickey" and lately "Innit" its crazy!

ReputationRep:
    You guys have got me saying "Take the mickey" and lately "Innit" its crazy!
    lol, that is so sweet innit!

ReputationRep:
    The best phrase I've ever come across is "Aren't you the merlin!" lol I picked it up off someone I worked with over Christmas :rolleyes:

I think everyones fed up with me using it now though

ReputationRep:
    I learnt "siiiiiiiick" from an Australian friend (although I don't use it).

When I went to France when I was 11 I was staying with my host family when I heard the father say "Oh la vache!" when he saw that two trees had blown down. Of course, I was sat in the car going "what cow? I see no cow.." and they explained what it meant to me. Later in the week I was making myself a sandwich and dropped the mayonnaise on the floor of their kitchen (old farm house, so stone floor) and it smashed EVERYWHERE, and I shouted "Oh la vache!" not realising that the mother was stood behind me. She told EVERYONE at the family party that night! They also used to laugh when I kept imploring them to speak more slowly (with my phrasebook out).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelfairy #1)
    The best phrase I've ever come across is "Aren't you the merlin!" lol I picked it up off someone I worked with over Christmas :rolleyes:

I think everyones fed up with me using it now though
    :rolleyes:

i think i could write entire messages with these smileys

and what DOES oh la vache mean?

ReputationRep:
    I've started saying "hun" lol

and i never used to say "dodgy" until i went on a Geography trip where everyone was saying it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    and what DOES oh la vache mean?
    oh the/a cow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelfairy #1)
    oh the/a cow
    yuh huh i meant the PROPER meaning(she said she couldnt find the cow...?)

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.