Canadian student considering Economics at LSE. Worth applying?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
username1562585
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Canadian (Ontario) Student here currently working on completing OSSD (Ontario Secondary School Diploma).

I'm currently completing my last year of Secondary school (Highschool; Grade 12) and I am interested in applying to LSE for economics.
I presume that I would be applying with my Grade 11 grades and my Grade 12 (Predicted) grades as I haven't completed grade 12 as of yet.

My Grade 11 Courses were:

University Level Math (Functions)- 93%
University level Physics- 85%
Mixed Level (University/College) Canadian Law-97%
Mixed Level Media Arts-95%
Grade 12 University Level Sociology (Challenge and Change)- 86%
University level Chemistry- 91%
Mixed Level Accounting- 97%
University Level English- 90%
University Level Biology- 90%

My average in Grade 11 was a 92% and this year I am aiming for a much higher average.

For Grade 12, I am taking:

University Level Math (Advanced Functions)
University Level Chemistry
University Level Physics
University Level Biology
University Level Data Management (Math)
University Level Calculus and Vectors (Math)
University Level English
University Level Canadian Law

I predict that I will complete all of these courses with at least a 95%-96% in each of them; I also have fairly strong ECs mainly in the fields of business and student leadership. I have also read many books on Economics and I am quite interested in the subject.

Would it be worth it for me to apply to LSE for their undergrad Economics program? Any suggestions as to how I can present myself as a "better rounded" applicant?
If I do decide to apply, I will do so in the next 2-3 weeks.

Also, if anyone has any questions regarding the Canadian education system as well as various Canadian educational institutions/universities, feel free to send me a message and I will be happy to help you!
Willszz1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My advice would be that if you think you can meet the requirement of the course you want to apply to, and that you truely want to go to LSE, then do apply. Also you do not need to be a "better rounded" applicant as when you apply you need to have a very focused statement on why you want to do the course etc. You can use extra activities to show off a rounded side without losing focus on the academic course that you're applying for. Also as you seem to of done many different qualifications that will show you as quite rounded, therefore you don't need to go to extra lengths to try show how rounded you are.
NowAndThen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by GoonMcFly)
Canadian (Ontario) Student here currently working on completing OSSD (Ontario Secondary School Diploma).

I'm currently completing my last year of Secondary school (Highschool; Grade 12) and I am interested in applying to LSE for economics.
I presume that I would be applying with my Grade 11 grades and my Grade 12 (Predicted) grades as I haven't completed grade 12 as of yet.

My Grade 11 Courses were:

University Level Math (Functions)- 93%
University level Physics- 85%
Mixed Level (University/College) Canadian Law-97%
Mixed Level Media Arts-95%
Grade 12 University Level Sociology (Challenge and Change)- 86%
University level Chemistry- 91%
Mixed Level Accounting- 97%
University Level English- 90%
University Level Biology- 90%

My average in Grade 11 was a 92% and this year I am aiming for a much higher average.

For Grade 12, I am taking:

University Level Math (Advanced Functions)
University Level Chemistry
University Level Physics
University Level Biology
University Level Data Management (Math)
University Level Calculus and Vectors (Math)
University Level English
University Level Canadian Law

I predict that I will complete all of these courses with at least a 95%-96% in each of them; I also have fairly strong ECs mainly in the fields of business and student leadership. I have also read many books on Economics and I am quite interested in the subject.

Would it be worth it for me to apply to LSE for their undergrad Economics program? Any suggestions as to how I can present myself as a "better rounded" applicant?
If I do decide to apply, I will do so in the next 2-3 weeks.

Also, if anyone has any questions regarding the Canadian education system as well as various Canadian educational institutions/universities, feel free to send me a message and I will be happy to help you!
At LSE what matters most is academics and passion.
Academics - top grades and good & relevant subject combinations
Passion - convince them via your PS, LSE will compare your PS with those of your cohort

Got all of the above and you stand a good chance. You can give it a go with less but bear in mind that out of 12 applicants for every place, surely there are a few who meet the academic requirements and just as passionate, so it is hell of competitive and perhaps you need luck to be on your side too.

Well, you will never know unless you try. And, LSE only wants people who really really want to get in, who will still apply regardless of the odds. Are you one?
Bella Wang
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am curious did you end up getting in?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (98)
13.71%
I'm not sure (32)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (223)
31.19%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.38%
I'm not a current university student (345)
48.25%

Watched Threads