The Student Room Group

Scotland appreciation thread - love from the rest of the UK

British people has made the English language the world lingua. Our philosophers and inventors have shaped the modern world we know today. We have earned our place on the UN security council because we our forefathers worked together to take on the evils of Hitler Nazism and Stalin Communism. Our sports, music, film and video industry dominates the world today, it's second only to the USA. Our stance on human rights like gay rights is officially been recognised as the best in Europe and thus the best in the world. I'm not even going to speak for the NHS. Because anyone can take a look at Africa, Asia or the Americas to see the brilliance of our success story, universal public healthcare.

Millions flock to our island, not because it is miserable. But because for 300 years this pathetically small island has built one of the most successful nations in the world. No place on earth is free of disadvantages or painful histories. But the UK is an amazingly place to live. As a Londoner I have often visited friends in Scotland and will be living there for the next four years at least as uni student. The place helps to balance Britain in all aspects not least politically and we are all better for it. So Scotland please stay and help to make Britain even more liberal, democratic and prosperous place to live!

Please leave a short message signing off your town/city and one of the four home nations. To show your appreciation to Scotland and remind those who will be voting there are many of us from around the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland hoping we all stay together.

love from London, England

lsluk.jpg

Scroll to see replies

Scotland,

If you decide to go alone, good luck. Not that you need it. Scottish ingenuity and application will stand it in good stead. And, if you decide to go alone, well done in breaking free from the nasty Tory Party. You will be an inspiration to Wales and Northern Ireland as well.

From,
Pocatello, Idaho, United States. (by way of Plymouth, Cambridge and Luton, England).
Reply 2
Original post by jammy4041
Scotland,

If you decide to go alone, good luck. Not that you need it. Scottish ingenuity and application will stand it in good stead. And, if you decide to go alone, well done in breaking free from the nasty Tory Party. You will be an inspiration to Wales and Northern Ireland as well.

From,
Pocatello, Idaho, United States. (by way of Plymouth, Cambridge and Luton, England).
:rolleyes: There always has to be one to spoil it.

Scotland thank you for helping us to destroy the competition at the 2012 Olympics. Hope to be flying the flag with you come 2016.

From Manchester, England
Original post by Erzan
:rolleyes: There always has to be one to spoil it.

Scotland thank you for helping us to destroy the competition at the 2012 Olympics. Hope to be flying the flag with you come 2016.

From Manchester, England

Yeah, sure :rolleyes: Look at the Conservatives' results in General Elections. Now look the maps. They don't get elected in Scotlant, in General Elections or in Holyrood. Look at their policies and how, by targeting the lower working class, they affect Scotland disproportionatly. In short, there's a reason why they have that label in Scotland.

If Scotland stays...great. But if it doesn't, rUK should accept it and move on.
Hey voters from Scotland ignore all the negative comments! I know plenty of people from Wales who would be devastated if you leave us. When we work together we have achieved so much in the last 300 years. :smile:

Cardiff, Wales
Original post by Reformed2010
British people has made the English language the world lingua. Our philosophers and inventors have shaped the modern world we know today. We have earned our place on the UN security council because we our forefathers worked together to take on the evils of Hitler Nazism and Stalin Communism. Our sports, music, film and video industry dominates the world today, it's second only to the USA. Our stance on human rights like gay rights is officially been recognised as the best in Europe and thus the best in the world. I'm not even going to speak for the NHS. Because anyone can take a look at Africa, Asia or the Americas to see the brilliance of our success story, universal public healthcare.

Millions flock to our island, not because it is miserable. But because for 300 years this pathetically small island has built one of the most successful nations in the world. No place on earth is free of disadvantages or painful histories. But the UK is an amazingly place to live. As a Londoner I have often visited friends in Scotland and will be living there for the next four years at least as uni student. The place helps to balance Britain in all aspects not least politically and we are all better for it. So Scotland please stay and help to make Britain even more liberal, democratic and prosperous place to live!

Please leave a short message signing off your town/city and one of the four home nations. To show your appreciation to Scotland and remind those who will be voting there are many of us from around the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland hoping we all stay together.

love from London, England

lsluk.jpg

Through conquest. Is that something to be proud of? Plus, isn't USA the biggest factor in the lingua franca status of the English language? Surely, if the USA's language was French I would expect French to be the lingua franca.
Reply 6
But I don't appreciate Scotland? My message would be:

Scotland, stop throwing a tantrum, pull it together, and stop watching Braveheart on repeat,

Sincerely,

London, England.
Reply 7
Please vote yes Scotland.
Reply 8
Caramel Wafers, shortbread, Kevin Bridges, Frankie Boyle...I'll miss you, Scotland.
Reply 9
Original post by Arkasia

Scotland, stop throwing a tantrum, pull it together, and stop watching Braveheart on repeat,

Sincerely,

London, England.
Please grow up.

Original post by Mackay
Caramel Wafers, shortbread, Kevin Bridges, Frankie Boyle...I'll miss you, Scotland.
That's more like it.

Scotland we will miss you!
Now they come running...
Original post by Erzan
Please grow up.

What, you think that not supporting Scotland's independence means I am not grown up? Please, spare me your retorts.
Original post by Arkasia

Sincerely,

London, England.

Because that hasn't already been said approximately 100000000 times during this debate.
So sad how scottish people living in england cannot vote and they are mostly hoping that it stays.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by biologist.
Because that hasn't already been said approximately 100000000 times during this debate.

Show me someone who says something original, and I will show you a liar.
Original post by Abzey_97
So sad how scottish people living in england cannot vote and they are mostly hoping that it stays.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they're not living in Scotland they won't have to put up with the possible repercussions/benefits that independence may bring. The entire economy could boom or collapse, and they're safe(r) away from it all if it's doesn't work out and have the opportunity to move back if it does. Why should they, therefore, get the vote again?

(this isn't necessarily my viewpoint, just arguing from the other side)
Original post by biologist.

Not to mention, completely inaccurate
My message is:

Scotland, make up your own mind. You Scots, as a people, have the right to decide. It is none of our business what you do. Do what you think is best for you. I can't blame you for being fed up with Westminster and the London centric bullcrap policies that emanate from there. Do what is best for you, and ignore all the desperate idiots (those pleading you to stay, but also those who are saying for you to leave with bitterness) who have no right to say anything about what happens to a country that is not their own.

Love from Bath, England (And Ton Pentre, Wales).
Original post by Comeback
If they're not living in Scotland they won't have to put up with the possible repercussions/benefits that independence may bring. The entire economy could boom or collapse, and they're safe(r) away from it all if it's doesn't work out and have the opportunity to move back if it does. Why should they, therefore, get the vote again?

(this isn't necessarily my viewpoint, just arguing from the other side)

If our asking why they should het he vote its obvious. Its their own country.They should have at least have a say and so to vote should be available for them.

And everything else you said was true.
Original post by Abzey_97
If our asking why they should het he vote its obvious. Its their own country.They should have at least have a say and so to vote should be available for them.

And everything else you said was true.

I suppose you're right. You could also add to your argument the rich vs poor people both getting the vote. Rich people are (largely) isolated from the economic fears so whatever they vote will be in a far safer position to others.

I wonder why (assuming you're right that scottish people in england are generally 'no voters') that the UK govt didn't allow them to also get the vote. I suppose Salmond veto'd it...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending