The Student Room Group

Am I good enough to apply for medicine at Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ImTheMedic
I've found schools to be rather useful in this aspect, since teachers have helped countless other applicants get into medical schools. I know clever people who didn't get any offers, and not-so clever people who got offers (applied to the same uni). Medical schools might as well pick applicants out of a hat.

Teachers have often simply been a bystander to an applicant getting into Medicine. Schools (or at least individual teachers and even the occasional 'Medicine application tutor') are still actively telling pupils they need to do A-level Maths. Go figure.

Edit: You also need to do some serious research on the varying requirements and focuses of med school admissions departments if you think a 'clever person' losing a place to a 'not-so-clever person' means it had anything to do with luck.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ronove
Teachers have often simply been a bystander to an applicant getting into Medicine. Schools (or at least individual teachers and even the occasional 'Medicine application tutor') are still actively telling pupils they need to do A-level Maths. Go figure.

Edit: You also need to do some serious research on the varying requirements and focuses of med school admissions departments if you think a 'clever person' losing a place to a 'not-so-clever person' means it had anything to do with luck.

A Level mathematics is a great subject to take as a medic, since it's a relatively easy A* and many medical schools are raising their entry requirements. Let's agree to disagree since I've had my experience of medical admissions, whilst I'm sure you've had yours.
Reply 22
Original post by Ronove

I'm sorry to say you're feeding a troll that has multiple accounts and enjoys giving incorrect advice to medical applicants. I have reported him/her repeatedly.
Reply 23
Original post by NinjaXM
Am I good enough to stand a chance at oxford medicine ?
I have 4As at AS-level (biology, chemistry, physics and maths)
I did IGCSEs but I am British though.
I got 3A* 2A and 2B unfortunately I had to do English as a second language as it was the available course.
I have almost no non-academic achievements beside completing a first aid and CPR course.
If I can't apply to medicine directly can I apply for biomedical sciences then switch later, and what Unis would be good for me.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
forgotto mention that my teachers expect me to get 4A* if I continue this way

i need any advice, should I try doing English language along with my A2.
and what Unis would accept me and what courses, also how do I prepare for BMAT .
I feel lost and can't figure anything out, I though 4 A* would be enough but I was wrong.
please help! tell me any uni and course that I can apply to , I need a scientific course that can later lead me to graduate entry medicine
Original post by HCubed
I'm sorry to say you're feeding a troll that has multiple accounts and enjoys giving incorrect advice to medical applicants. I have reported him/her repeatedly.

This advice got me the offer I wanted, so take it or leave it.
Reply 25
Original post by ImTheMedic
This advice got me the offer I wanted, so take it or leave it.

Really, from where? Are you in yr 12 or 13 and with what A levels achieved or predicted grades in which subjects?
Original post by NinjaXM
Am I good enough to stand a chance at oxford medicine ?
I have 4As at AS-level (biology, chemistry, physics and maths)
I did IGCSEs but I am British though.
I got 3A* 2A and 2B unfortunately I had to do English as a second language as it was the available course.
I have almost no non-academic achievements beside completing a first aid and CPR course.
If I can't apply to medicine directly can I apply for biomedical sciences then switch later, and what Unis would be good for me.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
forgotto mention that my teachers expect me to get 4A* if I continue this way

you'll have more luck with cambridge if your ums marks are high
Reply 27
Original post by strawberrysnow
you'll have more luck with cambridge if your ums marks are high

If you look at the graph they publish then you'll see there is approximately no point in the OP looking at Cambridge either. Virtually everyone they accept has many more A*s. Though if the OP is intent on applying for Medicine at Oxbridge or otherwise writing off Medicine altogether for the time being then it's perhaps worth an application cycle anyway. They might get lucky.

Original post by NinjaXM
i need any advice, should I try doing English language along with my A2.
and what Unis would accept me and what courses, also how do I prepare for BMAT .
I feel lost and can't figure anything out, I though 4 A* would be enough but I was wrong.
please help! tell me any uni and course that I can apply to , I need a scientific course that can later lead me to graduate entry medicine

Look at the Wiki: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Forum_Guide_and_FAQs

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Apply wisely to med school this year but expect rejections due to your lack of work experience/voluntary work. Make sure you pick up GCSE English. Just ask to sit it at school, they should be able to sort it out for you.

If you do get four rejections, I would strongly advise reapplying with grades in hand and some work experience/voluntary work behind you next year. You should have much better luck at that time. Thinking about Graduate Entry at this point is folly. Have a back-up you'd enjoy as your fifth option on UCAS (both years, if you apply twice) and then you can think about Grad Entry, if such a thing still exists and you can afford whatever it costs at that point.
Reply 28
Original post by Ronove

I don't want to waste any choices, so please tell me which medical schools I could apply to and have a chance at it, I will do English this year with my A2.
about the other courses, do you think I stand a chance at molecular genetics at UCL .
by the way, how can I write a statement for two different courses like medicine and molecular genetics ?
thanks for the help.
this was meant to be a reply to your last post.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by NinjaXM
I don't want to waste any choices, so please tell me which medical schools I could apply to and have a chance at it, I will do English this year with my A2.
about the other courses, do you think I stand a chance at molecular genetics at UCL .
by the way, how can I write a statement for two different courses like medicine and molecular genetics ?
thanks for the help.
this was meant to be a reply to your last post.

Read the links I gave you and med schools' websites thoroughly to see where you stand the best chance. I can't pick which risks you should or shouldn't take for you (nor can I do your research for you).

Some places allow you to send a separate personal statement to the admissions office when you apply if they know they're your backup option when applying to Medicine, others just realise they are in that position and decide whether they like you enough to give you an offer even without a second personal statement.

I have absolutely no idea how you would stand at getting into a Molecular Genetics course. Very few courses are going to compare to Medicine in competitiveness, but there may be no-nos in terms of who is OK with being the backup and who isn't. I wouldn't know anything about that though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending