The Student Room Group

In need of advice! Should I go to uni? (BA (Hons) Digital Film & Screen Arts)

Last year I decided, unlike the rest of my friends, that I wouldn't go to uni because I wasn't too sure what I wanted to do. I had just finished a Media Diploma and couldn't decide whether I wanted to be more on the film side or digital side of the Media, I just love narrative in all forms! Instead I moved to London and did a digital apprenticeship.

Now I'm a full-time developer earning a half-decent wage at the age of 21. Cool right? Well.. Not so much. I have learnt so much through this year; not only about development and programming but also about how to push myself, live on my own and work well in a demanding agency. But I am a lot younger than the people I work for so get treated like a baby, don't have many friends as a result, and can only just afford to live comfortably in London so can't splash out on clubs or anything like that. Oh, and I realise I don't like being a developer, it's just not creative enough for me. So on the side of work I've been trying to keep up my other hobbies: making videos for YouTube, dabbling in game development and even staying behind work to learn design, but it's pretty tiring!

I was just looking at other options and found this course: BA (Hons) Digital Film & Screen Arts
http://www.ucreative.ac.uk/ba-film-screen-arts/overview
It teaches a broad spectrum of Media, from film to visual effects, animation, 3d modelling, games. Sounds pretty awesome!
It's about 9,000 a year and I'd be 22 when I go. I don't think that's necessary too old but people are telling me that it would be a step back from where I am now. I know I could probably learn some of the skills that this course could teach me on my own because I am very self-motivated but I would need to pay for the software and a computer upgrade anyway and I wouldn't know if I was learning by best practises and ultimately it would be pretty lonely.

Main reason I'm worried about going is the debt. I already owe my parents some money since moving to London so I really don't want to have to owe them anymore or spend all the money that I'll be saving from my job now on something that isn't worth my time.

I know I've completely rambled but thanks to those who have read it all and any advice would be much appreciated!

THANK YOU!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest