Dsg_19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I want to study dentistry at uni, but unfortunately i didn't get the right grades in my AS levels. I got A in maths, B in chemistry, B in Biology. Im going to be predicted A*BB respectively, which is not good enough. I was wondering whether i should apply for biomedical science or pharmacy, and would I get into a decent uni with these grades.

Also, I haven't done any pharmacy work experience, would my dentistry work experience be enough for either pharmacy or biomedical science?

lois griffin
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dsg_19)
I want to study dentistry at uni, but unfortunately i didn't get the right grades in my AS levels. I got A in maths, B in chemistry, B in Biology. Im going to be predicted A*BB respectively, which is not good enough. I was wondering whether i should apply for biomedical science or pharmacy, and would I get into a decent uni with these grades.

Also, I haven't done any pharmacy work experience, would my dentistry work experience be enough for either pharmacy or biomedical science?

Do you intend to apply for Dentistry in the long term i.e. as a postgraduate? If so, then given that GEP is so competitive, I would be tempted to work my socks off this year (give up social life, if necessary!) and do resits if necessary to get AAA and apply for 2016 entry with achieved grades Although you would have to take a gap year, it would be less expensive and less time consuming than doing a biomedical science degree first.
If you are seriously considering pharmacy then you need to do some work experience asap - not only to make a serious application but also to see if you actually enjoy it. I think you will have time because the pharmacy UCAS application deadline is much later than dentistry, though it will be difficult to fit in unless you could do Saturdays/October half term.
Dsg_19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by lois griffin)
Do you intend to apply for Dentistry in the long term i.e. as a postgraduate? If so, then given that GEP is so competitive, I would be tempted to work my socks off this year (give up social life, if necessary!) and do resits if necessary to get AAA and apply for 2016 entry with achieved grades Although you would have to take a gap year, it would be less expensive and less time consuming than doing a biomedical science degree first.
If you are seriously considering pharmacy then you need to do some work experience asap - not only to make a serious application but also to see if you actually enjoy it. I think you will have time because the pharmacy UCAS application deadline is much later than dentistry, though it will be difficult to fit in unless you could do Saturdays/October half term.
what do you mean by resists? Do you mean do my a levels over 3 years? Because I've researched and seen that only 2-3 unis accept resist done in 3 years?

Also, what about studying dentistry abroad in Europe. Are there places that do it all in English?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (93)
28.27%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.37%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.84%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
9.73%
No - I live at home during term anyway (98)
29.79%

Watched Threads