What would be YOUR ideal extracurricular programme? Watch

llys
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I was thinking about this because everyone opines about what should change in education, but actually maybe what happens outside of formal education is just as important. So what extracurricular activities do you think would make a child particularly well-rounded? With activities I don't mean normal family life, but things a child can do by himself or with other children purely for enjoyment that would also develop different parts of his brain. For example

- a favourite sport
- a favourite mind sport
- a musical instrument
- something arty: maybe a Nature Journal?
- something technical: Arduino? (combines programming and electronics)
- reading for pleasure
- a drama group maybe?
- gardening / growing food?

I am not for one second suggesting that every child should do all of these activities - that would completely defeat the purpose of extra in extracurricular. But I think these are quite fun activities from which a child might choose some, and which all develop skills that are maybe not developed in schools to the same extent. What do you think / What would you add to the list?
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I only went to one club in school (which was basically cut short and cancelled) it was science club.
I would have loved if we had like a medical club, or a club that focused on biology and medical science.
llys
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by SophieSmall)
I only went to one club in school (which was basically cut short and cancelled) it was science club.
I would have loved if we had like a medical club, or a club that focused on biology and medical science.
Wow, someone is interested in extracurriculars! :five:

School is all about academia already, so I would actually prefer my children (if I had any) to do something non-academic in their free time. Though I have thought in the past it would be quite fun to have a Herbology club. You could make known medicines from plants and do some serious chemistry to figure out and isolate the medically active ingredients.
ellefrancessa
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by llys)
I was thinking about this because everyone opines about what should change in education, but actually maybe what happens outside of formal education is just as important. So what extracurricular activities do you think would make a child particularly well-rounded? With activities I don't mean normal family life, but things a child can do by himself or with other children purely for enjoyment that would also develop different parts of his brain. For example

- a favourite sport
- a favourite mind sport
- a musical instrument
- something arty: maybe a Nature Journal?
- something technical: Arduino? (combines programming and electronics)
- reading for pleasure
- a drama group maybe?
- gardening / growing food?

I am not for one second suggesting that every child should do all of these activities - that would completely defeat the purpose of extra in extracurricular. But I think these are quite fun activities from which a child might choose some, and which all develop skills that are maybe not developed in schools to the same extent. What do you think / What would you add to the list?

massage club! had one of those in primary school and it was amazing! hahaha
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Student newspaper/magazine for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads