The Student Room Group

Chemistry seems hard?

I had my first lesson of chemistry today and it doesn't seem like the subject for me. I chose to do maths, FM and physics as well.

Is economics considered a "soft" subject and is it easier than chemistry?

Also will those 4 options, maths, FM, physics and economics overlap too much and will I be looked down on if I were to change chemistry for economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry is often considered hard. However, no-one can say whether you'll find economics harder, because difficulty depends on the person.

Economics is not considered soft, and you wouldn't be looked down on for switching to it.
Reply 2
Well if you keep on chemistry you leave yourself able to medicine at university if you desire. Then again, I'm sure there are some courses require economics.

I would say stick with it for at least a week and ten decide. I think one day is too short a time scale to make your mind up.all we got done in a day was get our books! :smile:
Original post by Jelly150
I had my first lesson of chemistry today and it doesn't seem like the subject for me. I chose to do maths, FM and physics as well.

Is economics considered a "soft" subject and is it easier than chemistry?

Also will those 4 options, maths, FM, physics and economics overlap too much and will I be looked down on if I were to change chemistry for economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Economics is not easy mate.I find Economics easier(Got an A at AS levels).You need to understand everything(unlike Chemistry where you can learn most of the stuff).
Reply 4
Original post by Skill Twix
Economics is not easy mate.I find Economics easier(Got an A at AS levels).You need to understand everything(unlike Chemistry where you can learn most of the stuff).

Yh. I was actually planning on dropping chemistry in the second year. And if I was to do economics, I would either drop that or physics. But I'm really stressed now and have to decide quickly because I don't want to go in to economics and have missed a lot of the content.
What exactly do you study in economics? Is it somewhat similar to history? And do you mind maybe giving me some exam questions that come up in economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Mr.bob
Well if you keep on chemistry you leave yourself able to medicine at university if you desire. Then again, I'm sure there are some courses require economics.

I would say stick with it for at least a week and ten decide. I think one day is too short a time scale to make your mind up.all we got done in a day was get our books! :smile:

I would have dropped that anyway. So medicine wouldn't have been an option. And it's just, even at GCSE I wasn't too great at it and didn't fully understand things. Eg. "Moles" etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by PythianLegume
Chemistry is often considered hard. However, no-one can say whether you'll find economics harder, because difficulty depends on the person.

Economics is not considered soft, and you wouldn't be looked down on for switching to it.

I see that you have done chemistry AS and A2. How difficult is AS chemistry? I was actually planning on dropping chemistry after AS. In you honest opinion, is it better that I change it for economics since it fits in well with my other subjects and it isn't considered as "hard" as chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
I see that you have done chemistry AS and A2. How difficult is AS chemistry? I was actually planning on dropping chemistry after AS. In you honest opinion, is it better that I change it for economics since it fits in well with my other subjects and it isn't considered as "hard" as chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well AS doesn't even have logarithms, assuming the syllabus hasn't changed much since I did it, so you should be safe from the worst of the maths. I refer you to my first post with regards to difficulty - it's subjective, although many people consider it one of the hardest A-Levels.
Reply 9
You don't need economics to do an economics degree, you do need chemistry to do a chemistry degree.

If you want to keep your options open for science based degrees stick with chemistry, its not that bad. You can still do economics either way.
Reply 10
Original post by owhite96
You don't need economics to do an economics degree, you do need chemistry to do a chemistry degree.

If you want to keep your options open for science based degrees stick with chemistry, its not that bad. You can still do economics either way.

I understand. However, i really don't want to come out with a low grade in chemistry. I really want to study maths at degree level and chemistry was only there to fill in my fourth AS subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh. I was actually planning on dropping chemistry in the second year. And if I was to do economics, I would either drop that or physics. But I'm really stressed now and have to decide quickly because I don't want to go in to economics and have missed a lot of the content.
What exactly do you study in economics? Is it somewhat similar to history? And do you mind maybe giving me some exam questions that come up in economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry.You can still catch up.It's not that hard,It's not that easy.You need to understand everything.It's not similar to History.It basically shows consumer preferences and what governments would do if there was a deficit,surplus etc.What board are you following?I am doing the CIE board.I'll illustrate some examples then.
In my board,there is a multiple choice based paper and a paper where you have to answer questions(answers can be quite lengthy or short depending on the question).The first part is usually a case study.In the second part,they give questions like this(There are two parts)!
2 (a) Explain whether you would expect the price elasticity of supply of an agricultural product,
such as rice, in a market to be elastic or inelastic. [8]
(b) Discuss the extent to which a government can increase the supply of an agricultural product
to an economy in the short-run and in the long-run. [12]
However,you can also use this youtube channel to help you out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/EconplusDal
PM me if you've got any questions

Quick Reply

Latest