The Student Room Group

Resits for Medicine?

Hi,
I'm now an A2 student and I got pretty crap AS results .. I got CDDD with C in psychology and D's in Chem, Bio and Maths. I know I'm going to have to work really hard so get As for medicine but I was wondering what unis will say? I couldn't revise near exams because of a death of a close family member and I had problems at home with my parents constantly arguing so I really hated being at home. Anyways I didn't tell school because they would've thought I was making excuses and I didn't want all the hassle.
Now I'm completely stressed with what to do. I've always wanted to do Medicine, I've got loads of work experience too its just my grades. I'm going to be retaking a lot of AS modules alongside my A2 but will any unis even consider me because of the retakes? I'm not applying this year, I'm going to apply in 2015 after I get my results. Can anyone help me out about universities willing to accept me? How do I cope with all these exams? I'm really panicking and I don't want to give up on Medicine.
Sorry for the long post, I will be grateful to anyone who answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Okay well firstly, universities dont mind if you resit AS modules with your A2 exams. They only mind if you resit a whole year and therefore take 3 years to do your a levels instead of the usual 2.
Realistically, universities usually ask for AAA-A*AA. Unless you're sure you can get 3 As, i'd consider doing some form of a life science degree (which can be pharmacy, neurscience, psychology etc) and they applying for graduate entry medicine, which is 4 years rather than 5. A high proportion of medical students enter medical degrees after having done another degree, so its not rare and universities certainly dont frown upon it.
If you had official extenuating cirmcumstances, the universities might lower their offers
Original post by Cpie21
Hi,
I'm now an A2 student and I got pretty crap AS results .. I got CDDD with C in psychology and D's in Chem, Bio and Maths. I know I'm going to have to work really hard so get As for medicine but I was wondering what unis will say? I couldn't revise near exams because of a death of a close family member and I had problems at home with my parents constantly arguing so I really hated being at home. Anyways I didn't tell school because they would've thought I was making excuses and I didn't want all the hassle.
Now I'm completely stressed with what to do. I've always wanted to do Medicine, I've got loads of work experience too its just my grades. I'm going to be retaking a lot of AS modules alongside my A2 but will any unis even consider me because of the retakes? I'm not applying this year, I'm going to apply in 2015 after I get my results. Can anyone help me out about universities willing to accept me? How do I cope with all these exams? I'm really panicking and I don't want to give up on Medicine.
Sorry for the long post, I will be grateful to anyone who answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Moved to Medicine forum :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending