Is the M100 Bachelor of Laws degree at Southampton respected (is it same as Law LLB)? Watch

penandpaper2014
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I see that Southampton offer what is known as the M100 'Bachelor of Laws' undergraduate programme. Is this essentially the same degree as what King's College London, Queen Mary's etc etc refer to as 'Law LLB'? All these degrees have M100 code in common so I assume this is correct? Can someone confirm?

And I am in a position where I am pursuing Medicine but am considering putting Law at Southampton as my 5th choice since I'd rather go into the legal profession than come out with a degree that I have no interest in. Is this wise?

I was initially considering doing Pharmacy as my 5th choice and then pursuing a conversion course (the GDL followed by the LPC), but we are looking at around 6 years of study in total (4 for pharmacy and give or take 2 years to do the GDL conversion course and then the LPC). Is it worth going through all of this or should I just put Law at Southampton as my 5th choice seeing as the minimum entry requirements seem relatively achievable (as I am eligible for the AAB requirement since I achieved the A* in the EPQ).

Does what university you go to matter in regards to law? Would a degree at Southampton for law be respected and sought after by the city (e.g. London) corporate law firms?? Or is Southampton not seen as a great uni amongst such firms?

Am I better off doing the conversion course route and pursuing law than going Southampton in order to secure a job at one of the city firms??

Thanks
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by penandpaper2014)
So I see that Southampton offer what is known as the M100 'Bachelor of Laws' undergraduate programme. Is this essentially the same degree as what King's College London, Queen Mary's etc etc refer to as 'Law LLB'? All these degrees have M100 code in common so I assume this is correct? Can someone confirm?

And I am in a position where I am pursuing Medicine but am considering putting Law at Southampton as my 5th choice since I'd rather go into the legal profession than come out with a degree that I have no interest in. Is this wise?

I was initially considering doing Pharmacy as my 5th choice and then pursuing a conversion course (the GDL followed by the LPC), but we are looking at around 6 years of study in total (4 for pharmacy and give or take 2 years to do the GDL conversion course and then the LPC). Is it worth going through all of this or should I just put Law at Southampton as my 5th choice seeing as the minimum entry requirements seem relatively achievable (as I am eligible for the AAB requirement since I achieved the A* in the EPQ).

Does what university you go to matter in regards to law? Would a degree at Southampton for law be respected and sought after by the city (e.g. London) corporate law firms?? Or is Southampton not seen as a great uni amongst such firms?

Am I better off doing the conversion course route and pursuing law than going Southampton in order to secure a job at one of the city firms??

Thanks
LLB is merely an abbreviation for bachelor of laws.
arguendo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
OP - as far as I understand, you would have to use the same personal statement for all of your UCAS choices, yes? I would imagine that this would be exclusively medicine, given that seems to be your first choice (as you're using it for four of your five choices), and as given how competitive med is, it would seem unwise to try and do a joint personal statement indicating interest in a totally different subject.

With that in mind - have you taken into account that law is a competitive course in itself? I would have serious doubts about the ability to get into a competitive law course with a personal statement entirely (or even mostly) focused on medicine, regardless of whether you meet the entry requirements for law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
penandpaper2014
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Can someone confirm whether Southampton is well respected for Law? They aren't in the top 10 in terms of league tables but since it is a Russell Group uni, I was expecting it to still be well valued among employers?

Or would I be better off doing a conversion course after pursuing a different degree elsewhere?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (77)
8.56%
No I am happy with my course choice (535)
59.44%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.22%

Watched Threads