FPatel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Okay, I'm a soon to be second year student and I failed the French that isn't part of my degree but we have to pass to move on to the next year, I think I've passed one of the exams (worth 10 credits) but I've failed the other (10 credits) What happens if I have failed it? Do I have to redo the entire year because of a French exam? I've got a 2-1 right across the board on everything else.

A friend of mine at the same uni is in a similar boat but has failed a module part of their course, is it the same for them too?
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
More information about undergraduate examination guidelines can be found here. From my experience at Aston I only failed one module, there are a number of things that can happen:

1) Because it's an optional language module you just progress to the next stage of study anyway and this only effects your optional language qualification and not your whole degree.

2) If you have only failed one module by a margin of 2% you're available for condonement, which basically bumps the grade up to the 40% you need to pass.

3) Refereed examinations, normally when you fail more than one module or by more than 2%, you retake said exams in September and the highest you can achieve is 40%.

4) Deferred examinations, you've submitted an exceptional circumstances form to explain why your exam performance was effected. You retake the exam in September or submit a similar piece of coursework, which is not capped so you can score up to 100%
FPatel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Aston University)
More information about undergraduate examination guidelines can be found here. From my experience at Aston I only failed one module, there are a number of things that can happen:

1) Because it's an optional language module you just progress to the next stage of study anyway and this only effects your optional language qualification and not your whole degree.

2) If you have only failed one module by a margin of 2% you're available for condonement, which basically bumps the grade up to the 40% you need to pass.

3) Refereed examinations, normally when you fail more than one module or by more than 2%, you retake said exams in September and the highest you can achieve is 40%.

4) Deferred examinations, you've submitted an exceptional circumstances form to explain why your exam performance was effected. You retake the exam in September or submit a similar piece of coursework, which is not capped so you can score up to 100%

Okay, I've done a referred examination for one 10 credit module and a deferred exam for the other 10 credit module. I think I've passed one of those, but I'm unsure on the other.

I was told at the start of the year that it's not a core module, but it is compulsory to pass it to move onto second year. If I fail the exam I've just resitted the other week then what happens then?

My friend has failed a core module and was given an essay to write, they are worried the essay wasn't up to scratch. What happens if that essay also fails to pass?
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by FPatel)
Okay, I've done a referred examination for one 10 credit module and a deferred exam for the other 10 credit module. I think I've passed one of those, but I'm unsure on the other.

I was told at the start of the year that it's not a core module, but it is compulsory to pass it to move onto second year. If I fail the exam I've just resitted the other week then what happens then?

My friend has failed a core module and was given an essay to write, they are worried the essay wasn't up to scratch. What happens if that essay also fails to pass?
I'm pretty sure if you fail a referred exam it goes to the exam board and then they will make an individualized decision, either another retake, resitting the module, resitting the year or being asked to leave the university. All of this should be outlined in the undergraduate exam guidelines. Don't let that worry you and good luck with your retake for now though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Aston University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (34)
9.44%
I don't think they'd understand (55)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (139)
38.61%
There's nothing they could do (106)
29.44%

Watched Threads