The Student Room Group

Course changed from BTEC to City and Guilds

Basically, I returned to college for the second year of level 3 animal management last week to be told that we were no longer doing btec and we're now enrolled on a city and guilds course. We had no consultation or warning.
It seems that city and guilds is a lesser qualification and I'm seriously worried about my future prospects if I have this instead of a btec...
Please can you give me any positives and negatives you have for city and guilds vs btec as college seems to be spouting a load of lies at the moment! :mad:
Original post by teddybean
Basically, I returned to college for the second year of level 3 animal management last week to be told that we were no longer doing btec and we're now enrolled on a city and guilds course. We had no consultation or warning.
It seems that city and guilds is a lesser qualification and I'm seriously worried about my future prospects if I have this instead of a btec...
Please can you give me any positives and negatives you have for city and guilds vs btec as college seems to be spouting a load of lies at the moment! :mad:

I'm in a similarish situation and I think you're right... I'm not to keen on C&G

Posted from TSR Mobile
City and Guilds are a highly regarded and worthwhile qualification. In fact for Building, engineering and hairdressing courses, C&G were more popular with employers than Edexcel BTECs.
As BTECs have increased in popularity more students are aware of them and haven't heard of C&G.
In my own college, we have stopped BTECs this year and moved to other awarding bodies as BTECs have now introduced exams and and the marking and grading has got tougher.
This is probably why your college has changed.
I'm not sure about Animal management, but I think if you check, future employers will value it just as much as a BTEC.
Have a look at http://www.cityandguilds.com/qualifications-and-apprenticeships/qualifications-explained

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending