The Student Room Group

Do people usually stock their food on move in day?

When you move in, on your own or with help from parents, do you go do a big food shopping that day.

If not, what do you do or plan to do?

Where I will live, the big stores are 15mins bus ride away BTW.

Scroll to see replies

Last year I think pretty much everybody in my accommodation (myself included) either did a big shop before arriving, or just after arrival, as I expect most do. This year I'm planning to take just a few things with me and then put in a large (hopefully prenatally subsidised) order online for everything else I need for a few weeks (then topping up necessary things from the shops on campus as necessary before the next big order).
Reply 2
Original post by Jammy Duel
Last year I think pretty much everybody in my accommodation (myself included) either did a big shop before arriving, or just after arrival, as I expect most do. This year I'm planning to take just a few things with me and then put in a large (hopefully prenatally subsidised) order online for everything else I need for a few weeks (then topping up necessary things from the shops on campus as necessary before the next big order).

I was also thinking to do a big one online once I get there. But the next day is some start of freshers and there is a fair in the morning So won't i miss the fair or the delivery person if i do one or the other
Only if I haven't spent it all on stationary.
Reply 4
I took a load of stuff with me (shopped at home first) and then went to the nearest supermarket to then just get stuff to fill the fridge/freezer. There wasn't a big one within a good walking distance so it was handy with my mum and the car. During the year though I just did a few online orders to do it.
Did a big food shop the same day I moved in. Milk them parents one last time
I always take little bits that will get me through the first few days - frozen meals etc - Then I'll go to Aldi a couple of days later to get my "big shop" of real food. It's cheaper.
I remember having done a big shop a few days before for non-perishables, and then bought perishables (just milk I remember) from a corner shop straight after moving in.
Reply 8
Planning on making the most of Sainsbos £15 off £60 online shopping voucher. I don't live far from my new Uni so I'll get it delivered to my house and take it with me (saves the hassle of wondering where/if a van can deliver to my halls). A lot of people go for a shop with their parents to take advantage of 1) having a car 2) extra people to carry bags 3) guilt tripping parents into buying the shop
Reply 9
I'm hoping all my future house mates will have only bought the basics and will go on the 30min expedition with me to Asda to do the first shop :biggrin:
Gonna do a big shop the day before I move in
My friend and her flatmates are doing joint shops online, planning meals etc. Quite a good idea tbh, saves a lot more money.
Reply 12
Original post by rockrunride
I remember having done a big shop a few days before for non-perishables, and then bought perishables (just milk I remember) from a corner shop straight after moving in.

Original post by Beatlemania
I always take little bits that will get me through the first few days - frozen meals etc - Then I'll go to Aldi a couple of days later to get my "big shop" of real food. It's cheaper.

Original post by OohBurn
I'm hoping all my future house mates will have only bought the basics and will go on the 30min expedition with me to Asda to do the first shop :biggrin:

I also wanted to do a big shopping at Lidls but where I am going, there isn't a lidl. I' also tried look around the area to where I live and there barely any corner shops.

when ever I buy meat I have to take the bus to the the town area (bus costs money)

Im so used to having loads of shops and Co-op around me
Reply 13
I'm probably going to drag my friend who is helping me unpack with me to go shopping to get my fruit and veggies in. I'm bringing some dried and tinned stuff with me like rice, pasta, lentils and beans and such so it is only really my fresh produce that I need to get. :biggrin: (I eat a lot of fruit and veg haha)
Original post by jumjum
I also wanted to do a big shopping at Lidls but where I am going, there isn't a lidl. I' also tried look around the area to where I live and there barely any corner shops.

when ever I buy meat I have to take the bus to the the town area (bus costs money)

Im so used to having loads of shops and Co-op around me

Are you going to a major City? They'll be an Aldi around somewhere. I've been using Aldi for the past two years, and will do the same this year. Haven't got everything - tea etc I'll just get from another supermarket - but for the basic stuff like chicken and vegetables I just use Aldi.

£10 shopping there can last me a week.
Reply 15
I always did a big food shop on the first day of term. Take advantage of the parents car (and perhaps money) whilst it's around =)
Reply 16
Original post by Beatlemania
Are you going to a major City? They'll be an Aldi around somewhere. I've been using Aldi for the past two years, and will do the same this year. Haven't got everything - tea etc I'll just get from another supermarket - but for the basic stuff like chicken and vegetables I just use Aldi.

£10 shopping there can last me a week.

Leicester, there is an Aldi and sainsbury only

I Need a proper butcher to buy my meat.
Reply 17
Original post by tillytots
Did a big food shop the same day I moved in. Milk them parents one last time

Pretty much this

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did a shop but not a major one just all bits and bobs and so I could get used to the place and then few days after we as a house after we had got comfy with each other did a massive shop together. Much easier and cheaper.
If you're parents are helping you move in then I'd absolutely make use of them and their wallet. It seems a bit mean but on the other hand, I'm sure they'll want to see you all settled in properly rather than getting in a state about food.

For future shops, it might be worth getting a delivery and maybe getting housemates involved in that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending