The Student Room Group

Stick with iOS or switch to an Android device?

Question of the century.
I've had my iPhone 5 for 2 years so I'm due an upgrade. I'm torn between sticking with what I know (iOS) and get the iPhone 6 or completely switching to a different platform and device.

I like iOS because it's so simplistic, and I like that they've made the iPhone 6 kinda look like most android devices (the shape of the phone).

If I could create my own phone, I would keep the iPhone 6 looking like it does, but add a micro sd card and removable battery (or increase battery life DRASTICALLY) and make iOS more customizable and less restricted.

The reason I've always stuck with iPhones is because I feel like Android is too confusing and unnecessarily difficult to use. I had the Galaxy S back when it first came out and though I did get used to using the phone, I didn't really like that it wasn't as neat, clean and simple as iOS is.

I want to branch away from Apple but I'm kind of scared to do so? I don't want to commit to a 2year contract and then realise I don't like the phone.

Anyone care to enlighten me a little more on which I should go for? I'm open to both, but iPhones are a little more familiar to me.
Try phones in store first, doing the things you usually use your phone for, then pick the system you prefer to use. Android really is no more difficult than iOS to use unless you want it to be and explore things like rooting, most people don't feel the need to do this and get on fine. A lot will have changed since your Galaxy S.

Looking at the stock Android options sounds like a good bet for you, namely the Nexus 5, Moto X and Moto G, and (sorta) the OnePlus One. Pure Android with no carrier skins is very simplistic at the heart of it and customisation can be done with launchers (change how the home screen works) and icon packs which you simply download like apps from the Google Play Store. There are even apps like Buzz Launcher which simply let you pick a theme and they apply all the changes for you automatically.
One thing I have noticed is that apps are generally better designed on iOS than Android but if that doesn't bother you then android won't need much of a learning curve. If you get something like what Gofre has suggested, it is very simple! I might add the HTC One M8 but if camera matters (a lot!!) then look away (it isn't bad, but there are better for the price or less!).
Reply 3
Original post by simpletech668
One thing I have noticed is that apps are generally better designed on iOS than Android but if that doesn't bother you then android won't need much of a learning curve. If you get something like what Gofre has suggested, it is very simple! I might add the HTC One M8 but if camera matters (a lot!!) then look away (it isn't bad, but there are better for the price or less!).

Thanks guys! I was thinking, if I were to switch to an Android device, it'd be the LG G3? I'm liking that one!? But then one reason I've gone off the iPhone was because of the shape (quite uncomfortable) but they've fixed that now.. so not sure!

Spoiler

Apple are the best for customer service - that much I know. And iOS really does, in my opinion, trump Android in every way except for it not using open source like its rival. You get a bit more customisability with Android, but you get a much nicer user interface with iOS which is unmistakably satisfying to use. You're guaranteed quality with iPhones - less so with Android phones which vary greatly in quality. Budget smartphones use Android nowadays - so it's not as sophisticated as iOS in many respects.

Android is decent, but I certainly think you get a better experience with iOS and Apple.
Well, these kinds of topics always lead to war flame. IMHO, I think it depends on your taste. If you want something simple, easy to use then go with iOS. If you want customizability then go with Android.
Oh and if you want to try Android, then I suggest you try it with Nexus phone. They have the best ROMs and also get update regularly.

If anyone compares Android phones vs iPhone, they should compare Android phones with the same price because Android's price varies hugely and we can't compare entry level phone with an expensive iPhone.
As I'm sure you can guess by my username, I much prefer Android. But that doesn't necessarily mean you will.

I find the Android experience a lot better than the iOS experience because I like the level of customisation you get, especially once you start messing around with custom ROMs and rooting your device. I also believe that, in general, the apps are cheaper. :tongue: The fact I can get extremely cheap yet decent Android phones (look at the Moto G, for example), is a huge plus as well.

However, I believe you should go with what you are most comfortable with. If you prefer iOS, as lots of people seem to do, then go ahead and buy the iPhone 6 (or 6 Plus, whichever you prefer). Or, if you fancy a little bit of a change, go ahead and buy the LG G3; it's a great phone too.
There are a few things to look at, if you are using iCloud for your calender and notes or reminders these things don't transfer over as easily as you'd imagine.

Buying another iOS device means you get to keep all your existing apps and you move almost seamlessly and drama-free between devices.

Generally feel that iOS feels more of a ready to use product where Android is a forever a work-in-progress.
A good quality Android phone is just as good if not better than an iPhone. A lot of people judge Android based on £50 rubbish that runs like a pig, once you go up to phones like the Nexus 5 and LG G3 they are much better.

One thing I will say is avoid Samsung - yes the phones are good but the quality is shocking.
I only have an android because I can root my phone and it's really developer friendly. iOS isn't which is a shame because I'd have used Apple products if there was any scope to play around with the infrastructure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by einnap101
Question of the century.
I've had my iPhone 5 for 2 years so I'm due an upgrade. I'm torn between sticking with what I know (iOS) and get the iPhone 6 or completely switching to a different platform and device.

I like iOS because it's so simplistic, and I like that they've made the iPhone 6 kinda look like most android devices (the shape of the phone).

If I could create my own phone, I would keep the iPhone 6 looking like it does, but add a micro sd card and removable battery (or increase battery life DRASTICALLY) and make iOS more customizable and less restricted.

The reason I've always stuck with iPhones is because I feel like Android is too confusing and unnecessarily difficult to use. I had the Galaxy S back when it first came out and though I did get used to using the phone, I didn't really like that it wasn't as neat, clean and simple as iOS is.

I want to branch away from Apple but I'm kind of scared to do so? I don't want to commit to a 2year contract and then realise I don't like the phone.

Anyone care to enlighten me a little more on which I should go for? I'm open to both, but iPhones are a little more familiar to me.

Well I got my new android yesterday (LG G2) and I can honestly say it's amazing. You can customise everything, even the keyboard, so if you hate the layout it really doesn't matter because you can change everything to make it look completely different. Also, the battery life is amazingly good so if you need a good battery life I'd consider this phone or another good android. As for simplicity, I haven't found my way around everything yet so I guess it could be an issue for you if you aren't keen on phones being hard to get your head around at first. Personally, I think iPhone 6 is over priced. Android users have had some of the features for years. The other iPhones barely changed, they were just bigger, faster, and had better cameras so the android market moved way ahead of them. It's up to you really, some people hate android but I love it and can't stand how over priced iPhones are considering how little features they have compared to android. Have a look at reviews for iPhone 6 and android devices on YouTube. I did loads of research before getting my phone and it really helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Thanks guys! I agree, iphone 6 (and 6 plus) is SO overpriced and if I was going to get it, it'd have to be sometime next year. I would like a change, and I'll obviously still keep using my iphone 5 so I'm not sure. My upgrade isn't for a while but even then I think I'll just wait it out till I'm 100%. I've literally been spending my life (this week) watching YouTube reviews! I kind of want every high end android phone and the iphone 6 but... I'm poor and that's pointless! Gotta decide haha!

I like listening to what you guys like and dislike about android/iOS, so keep em coming!

I'm most concerned about the speed of android phones, cos my iphone has always been super fast and it's a 2 year old phone, still going strong! Not sure if android phones are as good in that sense. (Haven't heard good things about the s5)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by simpletech668

Wait until Android L comes out with new Material Design... hopefully this will change once developers start experimenting with the full set of new API's.
Original post by JonnyXDA
Wait until Android L comes out with new Material Design... hopefully this will change once developers start experimenting with the full set of new API's.

I'm also looking forward to it, but I'm not sure all the developers will use it... The big ones mostly will and I'm kinda pleased that Google took the approach Apple has done for a while by releasing beta's so developers can make their apps with Material Design. But it will still not be as well integrated as iOS apps and that is only due to locking down the system which is why Android is popular. I don't know, we'll have to wait and find out!
Original post by Reluire

Spoiler

Apple are the best for customer service - that much I know. And iOS really does, in my opinion, trump Android in every way except for it not using open source like its rival. You get a bit more customisability with Android, but you get a much nicer user interface with iOS which is unmistakably satisfying to use. You're guaranteed quality with iPhones - less so with Android phones which vary greatly in quality. Budget smartphones use Android nowadays - so it's not as sophisticated as iOS in many respects.

Android is decent, but I certainly think you get a better experience with iOS and Apple.

You sound like someone who's never used an Android phone.
Original post by einnap101
I'm most concerned about the speed of android phones, cos my iphone has always been super fast and it's a 2 year old phone, still going strong! Not sure if android phones are as good in that sense. (Haven't heard good things about the s5)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Avoid any Samsung phone other than the Note 4. TouchWiz massively hampers performance and is a horrific skin.

You sound like you would suit a stock Android phone. As Gofre said; Nexus 5, either version of the Moto G, either version of the Moto X and the OnePlus One. It's so simplistic, clean, intuitive and more importantly it's customisable. Android has come leaps and bounds since Eclair/Gingerbread (which was what you would have used on the Galaxy S) - don't let that experience put you off.

Not to mention the fact that all of these phones are significantly cheaper than the new iPhone.

I'd suggest watching reviews/comparison videos by MKBHD, Pocketnow, Droid Life to get a better idea.
Also: seriously consider the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, that thing looks sick.

Quick Reply

Latest