CallumPalace
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I currently have an iPhone 5C and a Macbook Pro so everything works flawlessly in terms of how everything syncs.etc. Question is i can get a Galaxy S5 now or wait until next week for an iPhone 6. On paper the S5 beats Apple again and i'm now stuck which device to get.

i want an S5 due to the large beautiful screen but then i have the issue of crossing platforms and running everything through Google which is no issue. However I do want to stay loyal to Apple and get an iPhone 6. I'll be upgrading via my contract and expect to pay around £40-50 per month which is fine as i can afford it and i see this as 'my treat for the month' so I'm not really fussed in money terms.

Then again I did consider the HTC One M8... ffs I can't decide, I hate technology more than I love it.
St. Brynjar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CallumPalace)
So I currently have an iPhone 5C and a Macbook Pro so everything works flawlessly in terms of how everything syncs.etc. Question is i can get a Galaxy S5 now or wait until next week for an iPhone 6. On paper the S5 beats Apple again and i'm now stuck which device to get.

i want an S5 due to the large beautiful screen but then i have the issue of crossing platforms and running everything through Google which is no issue. However I do want to stay loyal to Apple and get an iPhone 6. I'll be upgrading via my contract and expect to pay around £40-50 per month which is fine as i can afford it and i see this as 'my treat for the month' so I'm not really fussed in money terms.

Then again I did consider the HTC One M8... ffs I can't decide, I hate technology more than I love it.
If you're considering migrating to Android and are motivated by a beautiful screen then I'd seriously suggest checking out the LG G3 - it's QHD screen is the best on the market bar none.
Camoxide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That dimpled back though

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhT1WSPIAAA9Jt1.jpg:medium
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by St. Brynjar)
If you're considering migrating to Android and are motivated by a beautiful screen then I'd seriously suggest checking out the LG G3 - it's QHD screen is the best on the market bar none.
Not seen the G3 in person but I'd be very surprised if it's nicer than the S5. AMOLED is bloody gorgeous. I love how the colours are so vibrant and warm, and the black levels put LCD to shame. it's a shame such few phones have this tech.

As you sound like a huge Apple fan, wait at least to see the 6/+ in person. There will be some good integration with Yosemite too.
SandmanMMA
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Galaxy note edge.
Jay018
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What year would you like to be in? 2012 or 2014 (in terms of the tech side..) if 2014 id go wit the Galaxy, if you want to be 2 years out of sync with what phones have, by all means go with the iPhone.
_Dreamville_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Personally, I'd recommend the HTC One M8. Since that's not an option for you apparently, you may want to read this.. https://zshnz.wordpress.com/2014/09/...ally-worth-it/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Camoxide
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you've got a Mac i'd recommend an iPhone for that cross platform integration which will be even stronger when OSX Yosemite comes out.

If you still fancy an Android phone I'd recommend something like the HTC ONE M8 over the galaxy. Or even have a look at the OnePlus One.
rickfloss
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Wait till the battery result tests come out

Dont get the 6, poor ram size and therefore the stupid issue of browser pages refreshing everytime you switch a page-(very bad if your on a train or have bad signal)

Note 4 , Htc one m8 or the LG G2
rickfloss
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by St. Brynjar)
But that comes at the expense of battery life, which imo is a bad trade off.
katiiiiie
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Galaxy S5, the iPhone never really changes :confused:
Like_A_G6
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends on if you can get used to Android. If iOS works perfectly with you, stick with it. Best android phone atm would have to be the LG G3, and as for windows, well the Nokia Lumia 930 seems to have glowing reviews.
Audiology-Med
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

If your getting the s5 for the big screen, then get the iPhone 6 plus, if you afford 40-50 for a contract then you should be able to afford it, as its screen bigger than the s5 at 5.5 inches with a better resolution and colour production compared to past iPhones
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wait for the next Nexus obviously. Neither is worth the money.
CVK Abhiroop
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think if you jump over to android, the first thing you'll miss is your integration to your mac, like itunes and stuff, but if you are ok with that and are pro-customisation then go ahead with android! I think the S5 is pretty good, and my friends recently have been getting that HTC one m8 which looks really good tbh haha. I have an S4, and the S5 didnt really seem like a jump so if i had to choose, id pick the HTC
inc0gnito
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
On paper the S5 or in any case other flagships don't beat the iPhone 6. Most people that know nothing about phones think it's a numbers game (with CPU capacities, battery and RAM etc.) what you've got to realise is, Apple don't need multi cores (more than 2 at least) because their hardware is optimized to work with the software. Android doesn't bridge the gap between software and hardware and so you run into a lot of "unexpected" errors. Take it from me, I've tried and used every single OS from a variety of vendors since '08. Besides you lose the cross compatibility between your mac and handled if you switch to android,(totally up to you).If you need any further help or recommendations, if you do decide to go android, don't hesitate to PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jay018
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by inc0gnito)
On paper the S5 or in any case other flagships don't beat the iPhone 6. Most people that know nothing about phones think it's a numbers game (with CPU capacities, battery and RAM etc.) what you've got to realise is, Apple don't need multi cores (more than 2 at least) because their hardware is optimized to work with the software. Android doesn't bridge the gap between software and hardware and so you run into a lot of "unexpected" errors. Take it from me, I've tried and used every single OS from a variety of vendors since '08. Besides you lose the cross compatibility between your mac and handled if you switch to android,(totally up to you).If you need any further help or recommendations, if you do decide to go android, don't hesitate to PM.

Apple are actually playing catch up on the software/ hardware front, how can they be better? As theres nothing to show that they are better with the software on the devices. As ive never had any issue with software/ hardware with the Androids ive owned over the years, i would say that there is no issue with either.
inc0gnito
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jay018)
Apple are actually playing catch up on the software/ hardware front, how can they be better? As theres nothing to show that they are better with the software on the devices. As ive never had any issue with software/ hardware with the Androids ive owned over the years, i would say that there is no issue with either.
Have you used and compared both OS's side by side for a prolonged period exceeding a few minutes or seconds? Android by far has better features to offer in some cases, whilst apple excels in others. As for your statement of "playing catchup", well, apples sales and earnings over the previous few Q's can speak for themselves.

CVK Abhiroop
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you used and compared both OS's side by side for a prolonged period exceeding a few minutes or seconds? Android by far has better features to offer in some cases, whilst apple excels in others. As for your statement of "playing catchup", well, apples sales and earnings over the previous few Q's can speak for themselves.

Ive used iOS for a couple of years, and occasionally use it on my mom's iPhone 5, and now I own an s4 as I said, and honestly I think iOS just makes your life easier if you have Mac OS. As a windows user, i think we dont get as many benefits from using a iphone, infact sometimes the drag and drop seems more convenient to me haha but this could just be me though
Jay018
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

No because it is harder to use than an android. But the thing about apples earnings, is yes they might be more, but they charge so much more for a device than android manufacturers and their sales are acutally down comapred to android, by about 20% and also i dont see why they cost so much more than an android considering that they have much less in them compared to one of the latest android devices.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (255)
57.17%
I don't have everything I need (191)
42.83%

Watched Threads