The Student Room Group

Background reading...

Hi, so I've been doing A levels for around 2 weeks now and every single teacher keeps saying to me 'ensure you background read!' So my question is.... Is background reading really necessary? I've been writing notes and reading over my notes made in lessons, so I remember everything I've learnt so far and I plan to do this for the rest of the year with everything we're taught, will no background reading hinder my potential of reaching a high grade?

(I'm studying biology, geography and psychology)

Kind regards,
Ben
It won't hinder you
But it will probably help you get a higher grade

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did psychology, during AS I did no background reading and still managed a high A. During A2, I did a bit of background reading and got an A overall. For psychology, it's only really useful in the A2 because you're doing essays and I think knowing a bit more can make the essays flow better and seem less like a regurgitation of the textbook example essays, but since AS is mainly short answers I'd say wider reading isn't needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Some subjects can help, others not so.

Either ways, a little wont be completely harmful. Especially if the exam credits outside knowledge. (But yeah like the above dude says, dont bother for psycho. It will be useless)

Quick Reply

Latest