Project Management Apprenticeship

Watch this thread
qr95
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Has anyone worked as a project manager? I have no relevant qualifications or experience. But the job seems interesting and my skills are suited to the job description. Anyone give me tips for the interview. And more importantly what is it like working as a project manager. Thanks.
zKlown
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by qr95)
Has anyone worked as a project manager? I have no relevant qualifications or experience. But the job seems interesting and my skills are suited to the job description. Anyone give me tips for the interview. And more importantly what is it like working as a project manager. Thanks.
I went for an interview to be a project co-ordinator (basically assisting the manager). They offered me another job instead lol.

But yeah from what I've seen, a knowledge in the area you wanna work in helps, so if you go on an interview, make sure you stock up on the knowledge of the sector you'll be working in.

There's a lot of deadlines and adjusting to things going wrong, you've got to be very organised. You've got to try satisfy many people at once who may have conflicting interests.

Be prepared to put in the hours too. It's something that comes with experience and I'd say it's more down to the determination/personality of the candidate rather than qualifications.

This is just from an outside view though having worked alongside them.
qr95
Rep:
(Original post by zKlown)
I went for an interview to be a project co-ordinator (basically assisting the manager). They offered me another job instead lol.

But yeah from what I've seen, a knowledge in the area you wanna work in helps, so if you go on an interview, make sure you stock up on the knowledge of the sector you'll be working in.

There's a lot of deadlines and adjusting to things going wrong, you've got to be very organised. You've got to try satisfy many people at once who may have conflicting interests.

Be prepared to put in the hours too. It's something that comes with experience and I'd say it's more down to the determination/personality of the candidate rather than qualifications.

This is just from an outside view though having worked alongside them.
Thanks for replying. I don't know much about project management but I'm going to do my research. Could you give me a bit more information on what type of work a junior project manager might do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
zKlown
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by qr95)
Thanks for replying. I don't know much about project management but I'm going to do my research. Could you give me a bit more information on what type of work a junior project manager might do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not really because it's not actually my job and it would depend on the sector you work in but I'll tell you what I can.

I work in the telecommunications sector (railway signalling, works on rail etc). The project co-ordinator (or junior project manager as you put it) spend time preparing task briefs for the guys who go out and carry the work out. They also obviously do the tasks that the project managers don't have time to do. They also attend meetings with their project manager and supply them with relevant information.

Basically their job seems to be to make the project manager's job easier whilst learning a bit about the role itself so that one day they could maybe be a manager.

Don't take me word as gospel, like I said before, this isn't my job, I'm in logistics but I do deal with project managers.
qr95
Rep:
(Original post by zKlown)
Not really because it's not actually my job and it would depend on the sector you work in but I'll tell you what I can.

I work in the telecommunications sector (railway signalling, works on rail etc). The project co-ordinator (or junior project manager as you put it) spend time preparing task briefs for the guys who go out and carry the work out. They also obviously do the tasks that the project managers don't have time to do. They also attend meetings with their project manager and supply them with relevant information.

Basically their job seems to be to make the project manager's job easier whilst learning a bit about the role itself so that one day they could maybe be a manager.

Don't take me word as gospel, like I said before, this isn't my job, I'm in logistics but I do deal with project managers.
Thanks alot! Been a great help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (52)
16%
The paper was reasonable (163)
50.15%
Not feeling great about that exam... (79)
24.31%
It was TERRIBLE (31)
9.54%

Watched Threads