BP comes out against Scottish separation, says oil revenues will not last beyond 2050 Watch

Chindits
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
BP today came out against Scottish independence and backed warnings by the oil industry’s most eminent businessman that Alex Salmond’s economic case for separation relies on highly inflated estimates for North Sea tax revenue.

Bob Dudley, BP Group chief executive, said Sir Ian Wood’s assessment that the North Sea would be all but spent by 2050 was correct and used Scots to vote No. His opposite number at Shell also backed the estimate.

Sir Ian Wood, who has been praised by both David Cameron and Mr Salmond as the industry's foremost figure, warned Scottish voters were using their hearts rather than their heads in weighing up the independence debate
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-warnings.html

It's going from bad to worse for the Scots as businesses and world renowned leaders are saying this is a BAD idea.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No **** Sherlock. Unless of course you buy into the N56 think tanks assessment that there's more oil than you can shake a stick at.

Global oil company's opinion versus a think tank set up by an active SNP supporter.

I wonder who's telling the truth.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
not surprising.. Big buisness hate this.

Was talking to some of the managers from RBS/Natwest (not that high up the chain) and they were saying it would be a disaster for big buisness..

Anything that brings in risk, doubt, or worry to investors is going to be bad (atleast short term)

Im not saying if its good/bad in practise.. but the problem is that investors just do not know, and uncertainty is bad in these cases.
James222
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
People on the left who support the SNP are fools.

Look at Salmonds close relationship with murdoch and trump. He is no anti corporate saviour of the working class.

Scotland has lower living costs than England which means a independent scotland would have lower minimum wage, pensions and unemployment support.

Scottish Financial Services and Defence Industry would move South ASAP and it would be years before the scots could join the EU(with out any British Opt outs)

A SNP scotland would be a nasty place to live, booing and intimidation of political opponents. You dont see Labour or Green Party activists being attacked in Tory Heartlands do you.

If scots want left wing govt they get that with devo max anyway
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by James222)
Look at Salmonds close relationship with murdoch and trump.
It's hard to name a politician that isn't up Rupe's backside.

I always thought this whole oil debate was stupid. Is oil production not already a shadow of its former self? Typical SNP policy, back the economy up on a dwindling finite resource.
Everglow
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So many Scots won't give a rat's ass about this because all they actually care about is making a point that they don't need Westminster blah blah blah. I really question how many of them actually realise the likely horrible ramifications of independence, like this.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
not surprising.. Big buisness hate this.

Was talking to some of the managers from RBS/Natwest (not that high up the chain) and they were saying it would be a disaster for big buisness..

Anything that brings in risk, doubt, or worry to investors is going to be bad (atleast short term)

Im not saying if its good/bad in practise.. but the problem is that investors just do not know, and uncertainty is bad in these cases.
Posted this yesterday..

Today RBS come out and say they would move to england after indipendance..

...spot on :cool:
James222
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 60065)
It's hard to name a politician that isn't up Rupe's backside.

I always thought this whole oil debate was stupid. Is oil production not already a shadow of its former self? Typical SNP policy, back the economy up on a dwindling finite resource.
I know its hard
But Salmond like to portray him self as whiter than white and nothing like the corrupt english westminister politicians.
He is just another politician he is no scottish ron paul
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So the oil will last until I'm 65?

How long until Saudi is out of oil? Texas? Who will have significant oil past 2050?
Huskaris
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So that's 34 years of Scottish Independence then, then they'll come back cap in hand, and of course, we will give in.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Huskaris)
So that's 34 years of Scottish Independence then, then they'll come back cap in hand, and of course, we will give in.
Like all the other countries which got their independence.
swanderfeild
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
"This is yet another scaremongering plot by the evil westminister!11!!!" - Salmond probably

At this point I actually want Scotland to vote yes, just for priceless look on Salmond's face when concerns raised now which he has been dismissing as 'scaremongering' comes back to bite him in the back.
pane123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wish people would stop referring to Scots as "they". Not all of "us" want independence, you know.
Chindits
Rep:
?
Not only that, but the potential revenue of the existing oil has been 'inflated' by Salmond and his gang.
drbluebox
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This will so quickly become a biased debate saying that people who are pro independance do not know how good they have it staying in UK and the ones that say no are leeching off England like pretty much any independance debate
MagicNMedicine
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The thing with this is you can use it either way depending on whether you support or oppose it.

If there's a referendum on the EU you will have all the big businesses coming out saying it would be madness for us to leave the EU, and they would relocate if Britain left the EU.

But the papers and Eurosceptics will just say "we shouldn't be held to ransom by big business, they are only thinking about their own interests"
Chindits
Rep:
?
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
The thing with this is you can use it either way depending on whether you support or oppose it.

If there's a referendum on the EU you will have all the big businesses coming out saying it would be madness for us to leave the EU, and they would relocate if Britain left the EU.

But the papers and Eurosceptics will just say "we shouldn't be held to ransom by big business, they are only thinking about their own interests"
Not really in that we operated out of the EU perfectly well, so have a clear understanding of what it would entail.

Here we have a scenario in which the last time they had a go on their own, they came back cap in hand a broke people. We accepted them into the union and now they want to have another go, despite the fact that the weight of opinion by industry experts, economists and the like suggest Scotland would be worse off as an independent nation.

The idea that at this moment when you've got the likes of Russia and China flexing muscles that Scotland should choose to duke it out internationally on its own, perplexes me as to their complete naivete. Unless of course they're happy to be a non-entity in this world on par with Kosovo and Malta.
MagicNMedicine
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chindits)
Not really in that we operated out of the EU perfectly well, so have a clear understanding of what it would entail.
The UK economy has moved on a bit since 1973 and businesses warn us about leaving the EU for a reason.

If we were operating perfectly well back then why not restore union powers to the level they were then?
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pane123)
I wish people would stop referring to Scots as "they". Not all of "us" want independence, you know.
I'd imagine 'they' tends to refer more specifically to people with the independence dream, the people of the opinion we should be independent. If we do go independent and everything goes to ****, we can look down on most people though.

And even if it did refer to Scots in general, that would mean a majority of us, because a majority have to agree to it. So it wouldn't be far from wrong either way. That said it wouldn't be nice to be alienated by someone from England, Wales or NI even if we're on the same side as them.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pane123)
And I think we'll find out next week that you hold a majority opinion on it.

A rather sinister rant here from a SNP grandee.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/5810496
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (272)
53.97%
18-20 years old (no) (67)
13.29%
20-25 years old (yes) (85)
16.87%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
1.79%
25-30 years old (yes) (26)
5.16%