Waka Flocka
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I did terrible at GCSE maths and English at school got Ds for both. I'm 23 now and really need to get a C in both.. unsure whether it would be easier to get a C if I took higher...? I'm self studying btw.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Grade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In Foundation you need more marks to get a C (70-80%)
In Higher you need less marks to get a C (25-30%)

However, the C grade questions in Foundation Paper are quiet easier than the C Grade Questions in Higher.

The first few questions which come up in higher papers are usually the last few questions which come up in Foundation.

I'd say try Foundation if your wanting a C. If you want to aim higher than C then do Higher.
I suggest you do one of each and see which one you did better on.
The one you do better on you should do.

You only need roughly about 30 marks for a C in higher.
ckfeister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well, it depends really...

Higher Tier English is completly different then Foundation English... same goes for Maths

So, there a balance of yes and no's.

Yes - Easier to get a C
No - harder answers
Yes - You could get attracted to higher tier and get higher then C in both
No - May get a D and in foundation C is like a D in higher (saw that in my experiance)

So, what I would do is go for all higher tier's then go higher then C and if you get an A* or an A you could get bigger wages in the future as your a higher achiever.
Waka Flocka
Rep:
?
(Original post by ckfeister)

Higher Tier English is completly different then Foundation English... same goes for Maths

Yes - Easier to get a C
No - harder answers
No - May get a D and in foundation C is like a D in higher (saw that in my experiance)

So, what I would do is go for all higher tier's then go higher then C and if you get an A* or an A you could get bigger wages in the future as your a higher achiever.
yeah I think I'll go for higher.. all I gotta do now is sort out how to enter as an external candidate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
KittyRe-play
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In my opinion higher is better because if you think about it you have more chance of losing marks and still getting a C whereas if you do foundation you will have to get most of the marks. When my friends retook their maths in year 11 some did foundation and the teacher even said that the foundation paper had some solid questions compared to higher. Just revise higher and revise it HARD CORE because doing foundation is no point. Good luck! :h:
KittyRe-play
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Waka Flocka)
yeah I think I'll go for higher.. all I gotta do now is sort out how to enter as an external candidate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Many schools and colleges offer GCSEs for private candidates you just have to find out which ones, oh and get some cash ready too because you have to pay (you probably knew that already lol)!
Waka Flocka
Rep:
?
(Original post by Grade)
In Foundation you need more marks to get a C (70-80%)
In Higher you need less marks to get a C (25-30%)

However, the C grade questions in Foundation Paper are quiet easier than the C Grade Questions in Higher.

The first few questions which come up in higher papers are usually the last few questions which come up in Foundation.

I'd say try Foundation if your wanting a C. If you want to aim higher than C then do Higher.
I suggest you do one of each and see which one you did better on.
The one you do better on you should do.

You only need roughly about 30 marks for a C in higher.

Yes - Easier to get a C
No - harder answers

(Original post by KittyRe-play)
In my opinion higher is better because if you think about it you have more chance of losing marks and still getting a C whereas if you do foundation you will have to get most of the marks. When my friends retook their maths in year 11 some did foundation and the teacher even said that the foundation paper had some solid questions compared to higher. Just revise higher and revise it HARD CORE because doing foundation is no point. Good luck! :h:
Can any of you link me to the most relevant book I should use for the Maths and English GCSEs on Amazon..

Posted from TSR Mobile
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can any of you link me to the most relevant book I should use for the Maths and English GCSEs on Amazon..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your choice of maths text book should match your choice of examiner. Although the maths specification is practically identical for all of the examiners, they each have their own style of exam questions. It's good to get used to that through practice questions in your text book as well as revising with past papers. Which examiners will you enter with?

Have you studied the material before? Do you need a text book or would a revision guide and practice workbook suffice?

P.S. If you don't already have a C in maths and English, why don't you take advantage of free part time maths and English gcse courses that should be available from your local adult education service.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Waka Flocka
Rep:
?
(Original post by gdunne42)
Your choice of maths text book should match your choice of examiner. Although the maths specification is practically identical for all of the examiners, they each have their own style of exam questions. It's good to get used to that through practice questions in your text book as well as revising with past papers. Which examiners will you enter with?

Have you studied the material before? Do you need a text book or would a revision guide and practice workbook suffice?

P.S. If you don't already have a C in maths and English, why don't you take advantage of free part time maths and English gcse courses that should be available from your local adult education service.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a degree etc not free for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Waka Flocka
Rep:
?
Right the situation is I can do GCSE Maths Higher with Edexcel and do English Language as an IGCSE.. please help me with a list of relevant work/text books which are up to date with the syllabus. I will be taking the exams in May/June.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ckfeister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go to CPGBooks and look for your exam board, get the complete set ones.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Right the situation is I can do GCSE Maths Higher with Edexcel and do English Language as an IGCSE.. please help me with a list of relevant work/text books which are up to date with the syllabus. I will be taking the exams in May/June.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like these for edexcel maths
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revise-Edexc...cel+gcse+maths
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revise-Edexc..._bxgy_b_text_y

If you want more than just revision materials then this book is worth a look. It's a good compromise between the detail of a full on text book for a 2 year course and the limited content of revision materials. It does have a few errors in the answers at the back of the book that can be a bit frustrating for a self studier.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Mathema...cel+gcse+maths

This book contains all and more than you would ever need
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Mathema...rds=gcse+maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ben4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd personally choose higher for English as I got a D when I was forced to do foundation english, but a few weeks later when allowed to do higher I got an A with minimal revision.
Emily'Rose
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did terrible at GCSE maths and English at school got Ds for both. I'm 23 now and really need to get a C in both.. unsure whether it would be easier to get a C if I took higher...? I'm self studying btw.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well if you do the higher paper you need less marks to get a C however the questions on the reading paper will be higher (I took them last year and they weren't to bad in the higher) and in the writing they expect you to show higher level skills in the sentence structures, devices you use, paragraphing ect. However in the lower reading paper the questions will be easier although you need to get nearly all of the marks which may be harder, they also expect less of your writing (don't know much about lower).
From this my advice would be to go for the higher paper as you will need less marks to get a C but you will need to study!
Mercea
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it is easier for you to get a C grade on the higher as will only need 30% to achieve this grade whereas on the foundation you will need like 70-75% for a C grade. The questions that are given on the higher paper are more demanding unlike the foundaton because the questions there are straight forward. I think you should try both papers and see which one will suit you best as they are there for a reason for example if you struggle at maths so much its better for you to stick with the foundation but not neccessarily and if you are okayish then the higher paper is right for you.

May i ask when you did your GCSES in maths ane engliah did you do the higher tier or the foundation?

Edit: The higher paper for maths is easier for a C grade than the foundation paper. The foundationtier paper for GCSE english language is easier than the higher paper. Plus you can still get an A grade(which is the maximim grade) overall for English language gcse when doing the foundation tier paper in our school. In short we do GCSE'S.
I am not sure about English IGCSE because we dont do this in our school.
Mercea
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Yes - Easier to get a C
No - harder answers

The bit in bold is so true.
Mercea
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ben4)
I'd personally choose higher for English as I got a D when I was forced to do foundation english, but a few weeks later when allowed to do higher I got an A with minimal revision.

LOL My English teacher said that the foundation tier is easier than the higher tier and i do agree with him.
Wandal
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have a degree etc not free for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
It might be.

I have a degree, last year I went back to college to do my GCSE English and Maths and I didn't have to pay. I did the higher paper in English and foundation in Maths.
Smileyface97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Higher paper is slightly harder than foundation and the minimum passing grade you can get is a D.
My advice is:
Do higher as C is the maximum grade at foundation.
Do a lot of past papers as the questions will be very similar each time.
Get the specification for the course you are taking. Tick of all the topics you understand and go over the topics you need to go over one by one.

Good luck!
Juan_316
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hey, 30 marks in the Higher paper exam in English Language can get a grade C? I thought it was 40-45 marks to get a C?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.85%
I'm not sure (32)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.34%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (328)
47.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed