The Student Room Group
Reply 1
No need for a laptop. Although a personal computer would be useful.
Reply 2
aerith_strife
Hi, how useful/neccessary is it to buy a laptop to help out with biochemistry studies? I'm still two-minded, and i don't want to be buying a new laptop when i don't really end up needing it.

Is alot of the work carried out on computers?

Not "necessary" as such but it is very very useful, for checking your emails, finances through your student portal (dunno if every uni gives their students a student portal?) and for work, of course. I imagine with Biochemistry they will require you to write reports and have graphs etc, and for Neuroscience anyway, they encouraged you to word-process your work and use Excel for the graphs and for certain pieces of essay coursework we were told to email it in. And if you're anything like the typical student, it's likely that you'll be leaving work to the last minute and cramming it all in at 3am, in which case, you really don't wanna be trekking to and from the library at such a time. Library computer rooms are opened 24-7 though I think, but then if you're cramming work you don't wanna risk having 20 other students already hogging all the computers there are cus they've also all left it til the last minute :rolleyes:

Basically what I'm saying is - it's very handy. But it's not absolutely necessary. I have a laptop and I know I would've died without it cus I started all my coursework at like 3am and worked straight through the night in time for 10am lol and I did my research on Google. Of course you can argue that without my laptop I would've been forced not to leave it to the last minute though. Lol.
Reply 3
I would say its a useful thing for any uni student to have! You don't want to be trekking down to the computer room (which may be like a 30 min walk away from your residence) every time you want to check your email or go on TSR or write up a report. I don't think I knew anyone last year who didn't have a laptop or PC.
Reply 4
its whether you want it or want to spend the money on something else.
Reply 5
not a must, but having a laptop will be very helpful
Reply 6
:biggrin: thanks all

Latest

Trending

Trending