Is it possible to get all A's...

Watch this thread
VonDoom
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
At AS doing;
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Maths

The subjects combined are very complicated and there is a lot to learn, at GCSE I got A*s in Physics and Chemistry and high As in Maths and Biology.
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Is it possible? Yes.
Is it going to be easy? HELL NO.
Scienceisgood
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Breadth of knowledge required for GCSE = this much <---->
Breadth of knowledge required for A level = this much <--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Big difference between A level and GCSE.
VonDoom
Rep:
(Original post by Scienceisgood)
Breadth of knowledge required for GCSE = this much <---->
Breadth of knowledge required for A level = this much <--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Big difference between A level and GCSE.
Biology is just a massive memory test.
Chemistry is pretty easy so far with the electronic arrangements, will get harder soon as usual >.>
I will change RS to Physics soon, Physics is just... I don't know why but I have liked it for a long time.
Maths, I need to get 100/100 in C1, and then complete every question in the maths books to get a definite 90 UMS overall.
steellotus
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
If you've chosen that combination of subjects, You must already be fairly intelligent-BUT AS LEVELS ARE VERY HARD!
I've just done them, got AABB. My friend did that combination and got 4 As but you need dedication- and basically start revising NOW.

Good Luck!
Scienceisgood
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by VonDoom)
Chemistry is pretty easy so far with the electronic arrangements, will get harder soon as usual >.>
I will change RS to Physics soon, Physics is just... I don't know why but I have liked it for a long time.
Maths, I need to get 100/100 in C1, and then complete every question in the maths books to get a definite 90 UMS overall.
All I will say is Biology and Chemistry (don't know about physics) but, for AQA to say the least, they are HEAVY on exam technique, you may know how it all works but knowing it and putting it on paper and a way which fits the mark scheme (tends to be INCREDIBLY specific) is too different things entirely.
Scienceisgood
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Also, if doing AQA, MEMORISE this table before starting A2, I IMPLORE you as you will need to know all these reactions inside out for Unit 5!
Reactions of TMs (1).pdf
MidnightDream
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
It's absolutely possible if you're willing to work hard (especially for Bio I've heard it's just one massive memorisation festival)
Scienceisgood
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by steellotus)
If you've chosen that combination of subjects, You must already be fairly intelligent-BUT AS LEVELS ARE VERY HARD!
I've just done them, got AABB. My friend did that combination and got 4 As but you need dedication- and basically start revising NOW.

Good Luck!
If doing AQA chemistry at A2, I would recommend using/learning the table I just attached in some spare time before unit 5 chemistry.
Is a pain in the ass but, the whole of section B is basically built around that table...
Scienceisgood
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Oh yeah, a few resources I made a couple of years ago to help others while I was myself doing A levels. =)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2#post40242662

I made threads on the following;

AQA Biology units 1, 2, 4 and 5,
Chemistry Unit 1 and 2.

Good luck.
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
[cackles into the depths of hell] oh, my sweet summer child.

I can tell you now, when it came to do my mock back in January, I could have recalled the entirety of one of the textbook topics from memory*. The mock came, I got a D.

They are so finicky on exam technique. You can answer an entire question correctly, but because you forgot to mention one bit, you lose half the marks. The questions are occasionally vague, and it's easy to recall science that is correct, but not what they're looking for. Biology is not a memory test at AS.

To answer your original question, yes you can get all A's, but it's difficult.
Nobody in my sixth form got an A in AS Chemistry this year. I worked for hours upon hours on Physics, and got a D. You might be able to do it, but it'll be hard.
Trainz
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Biology annoyed me the most out of those four followed by chemistry. If you're good at maths, then you won't find physics to be too troublesome, at least that's how it was for me.

To answer your question, it's definitely do-able. I did worse than you at GCSE in those four and still managed.
SamTheMan95
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
At AS doing;
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Maths

The subjects combined are very complicated and there is a lot to learn, at GCSE I got A*s in Physics and Chemistry and high As in Maths and Biology.
Effort put in=Grades received (unless you have an especially bad day in the office.
Scienceisgood
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SamTheMan95)
Effort put in=Grades received (unless you have an especially bad day in the office.
Yeah, reality isn't entirely like that...
Some people revise their asses off and still only got a D or C... (sometimes even worse)
SamTheMan95
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, reality isn't entirely like that...
Some people revise their asses off and still only got a D or C... (sometimes even worse)
I believe everyone is capable of getting A's. It's a shame that people limit themselves with the "i'm not smart enough" arguement. If you're not naturally gifted, then work twice as hard.
oxkittyxo
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I did!
Pretentious Pete
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Judging by the ridiculousness of the question asked, I'd seriously question your choice to pursue A levels.
VonDoom
Rep:
(Original post by Pretentious Pete)
Judging by the ridiculousness of the question asked, I'd seriously question your choice to pursue A levels.
I find that I am capable and able to do these A levels, the worry is that my friends keep telling me that the combination is too much work.

I am right now doing Chem, Bio, Maths and RS.
RS looks like more work than Physics.
I like Physics more than RS, but only chose RS because I thought I was good at it then got a B in it >.>
I cannot be bothered with anymore essay based subjects.
Scienceisgood
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I find that I am capable and able to do these A levels, the worry is that my friends keep telling me that the combination is too much work.

I am right now doing Chem, Bio, Maths and RS.
RS looks like more work than Physics.
I like Physics more than RS, but only chose RS because I thought I was good at it then got a B in it >.>
I cannot be bothered with anymore essay based subjects.
Just remember like I said, A levels are a completely different game to GCSE...
You may be good at GCSE, but, as many of my teachers said, it isn't uncommon for someone who gets an A in maths at GCSE to end up with a C at A level.

Actually, it's more or less the norm with a few exceptions. :mad:
fortunaisland
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Just remember like I said, A levels other game than GCSE...
You may be good at A level, but, as many of my teachers said, it isn't uncommon for someone who gets an A in maths at GCSE to end up with a C at A level.

Actually, it's more or less the norm with a few exceptions. :mad:
I got an A* at GCSE and ended up with a C at A-Level! I worked hard too, I just didn't get along with core 4 or stats 1. Thank goodness my other subjects played much more to my strengths - I'm more of an essay person
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (9)
34.62%
Take a gap year (6)
23.08%
Resit my exams (6)
23.08%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (3)
11.54%
I don't know yet (1)
3.85%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
3.85%

Watched Threads