UrBusted
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys,
I go to a selective grammar school in London and have started thinking about my future. I'm now in Year 9 and am wondering if you guys can help me. First of all, I am wondering if you could help me which university to go to and what GCSE's I will need to pick to get there. I am into computer science and am starting to learn code, also love history lots (modern history) and wrote a few page essays about World War One, Two, Cuban Missile Crisis, VietnamWar and the Kennedy Assassination.
Here is a list of things I need your help on:
What University I should go to, to eventually get a job in the computing sector?
What GCSE's do I need to do to get into that university?
Should I think about doing an internship and if so, which one would be best?
In what order, which programming languages should I learn?
Thanks for your help
-UrBusted
sophiaaax
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your GCSE choices have no impact on your university application. The only thing that is generally looked at is what you managed to achieve.
In terms of which university you want to go to, it really depends on how well you do in your exams. Any Russell Group uni would be great.
tiredbean
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Like the last reply said, uni only really care about A-Levels because if you're doing A Levels, you must be working to a good enough level. However for your GCSE's I would pick an ICT course and history, just to get into the basic level- I did Media at GCSE level and now doing Media as an A Level and some of the stuff I've learnt has already helped me out in class(What you do in GCSE will be a foundation to your A Level work). Also, I do believe also to do certain ICT courses(At my college anyway) you have to get a B in maths) Don't worry about uni yet, just get good enough GCSE's and do good in your A Levels and it be fine!! Good luck for the future
Krollo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Re programming, I'm very much a Python guy. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
kelefi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
languages wise,

1)python will ease you into to programming.
2)Java will give you more skill
3)C, time for the real stuff!
dinglebells
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
dont take ict, take computer science.
ask the teacher what language ur school will be teaching and try learn that language and get a good grasp of it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (126)
18.1%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.59%
Not great so far... (250)
35.92%
I want to drop out! (128)
18.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed