Whats the difference between a vain person and a narcissist?

Watch
username1039383
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Just asking
iheartplums
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I suppose anybody can be vain whereas narcissism can be classed as an actual disorder...I think?
username1039383
Rep:
?
(Original post by iheartplums)
I suppose anybody can be vain whereas narcissism can be classed as an actual disorder...I think?
Oreally? So its one step ahead of vanity?
Pretentious Pete
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Narcissism is the pursuit of gratification from vanity, or egotistic admiration of one's own attributes, that derive from arrogant pride.

Narcissism can also develop into 'Narcissistic Personality Disorder' (NPD) which is a personality disorder in which a person is excessively preoccupied with personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity, mentally unable to see the destructive damage they are causing to themselves and to others in the process.

In comparison, vanity is just the excessive belief in one's own abilities or attractiveness to others.
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
a vain person cares a lot about their looks

a narcissistic person admires themselves
username1039383
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arithmeticae)

a narcissistic person is admires themselves
So does a vain person
interstitial
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Secretnerd123)
So does a vain person
isn't vanity mostly about appearance tho?
username1039383
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arithmeticae)
isn't vanity mostly about appearance tho?
Yeaah. I dislike vain people. Confidence is good but being too into your looks is a bit much
Vixen47
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A vain person cares/thinks too much about themselves. If you criticise them they'll feel offended but they won't care because they'll tell themselves that you're wrong and you don't know what you're talking about. These people have a deep sense of insecurity. Example: Johnny Bravo or any of the popular girls you see on TV and in movies. Think Mean Girls.

A narcissist cares/thinks too much of themselves and will go out of their way to make you feel the same way about them. If you criticise them or if they think you're criticising them they will turn your life into a living hell in order to feel superior again. These people have a deep sense of inferiority. Example: My sister's mother-in-law is a narcissistic *****. She borrowed thousands from my parents and my other sister and when we asked for her to pay it back (we knew she had more than enough so she could have easily paid it back) the woman started a war with us because she started feeling inferior. She couldn't stand that she had to borrow from someone who was in a better position financially and this brought out the cracks in her superiority complex. She really had a go at us but what she basically said was "how dare you ask me for your money back?" She tried to maintain a level of control (a false sense of superiority) by making it seem like we were the ones in the wrong for asking for our money back. When she realised she wouldn't get her way she paid us back (literally one day after we asked) and never stepped foot in our house or had a nice conversation with my parents again. It's been 9 months I think and to this day if my parents try to make peace (which they have sooo many times!) she brings up the subject to remind us of what we did because it feeds her ego and gives her the illusion of superiority. Another example if you watch Once Upon A Time: Regina as the Evil Queen in Once Upon A Time seems like a narcissist. I'm debating whether or not Regina (as Henry's mum) is because she seems more like an incredibly extreme case of borderline personality instead of narcissistic personality. If you don't watch the show then never mind.
bittr n swt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
One is in excess the other isn't and is in the real world
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (97)
13.6%
I'm not sure (32)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (223)
31.28%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.38%
I'm not a current university student (344)
48.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise