The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Is Moss Side that bad?

So I'm starting university in a few days; earlier this month I had to find accommodation as I didn't want to stay at the halls. I found a couple of ads and finally decided what house I wanted to live in and signed a 6 month tenancy agreement. It's in Moss Side. I didn't really know anything about where to/not to live in Manchester and now after reading about Moss Side I'm scared I'll get in trouble whenever I want to go back home from uni/town. I thought that the house being close to the uni meant it would be a safe area.
But still, is Moss Side that bad or is there no reason to be that scared of it?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If you want me to be honest with you I've heard it is one of the worst places in Manchester but don't let it ruin your university experience. I'm sure everything will be fine. There is bad places in every city. When you move in you will see what places are to avoid etc so I'm sure everything will be good you just get a lot of gangs around there I believe. I watched this video no youtube of mossside not to long ago. I believe it's not as bad as it use to be now either. Hope everything goes well for you and you enjoy university, I'm sure you will!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTX-s5eGtLw
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
You'll be absolutely fine lol. It isn't even that bad any more, just kept its reputation. Plenty of students live in Moss Side.
U WILL B FINE. TRUST ME I live in moss side n there's nothing bad the reputation has changed but u gotta be careful when u are talking on the phone cause they can snatch it from you. Enjoyyy:yy::top::top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by octionut
So I'm starting university in a few days; earlier this month I had to find accommodation as I didn't want to stay at the halls. I found a couple of ads and finally decided what house I wanted to live in and signed a 6 month tenancy agreement. It's in Moss Side. I didn't really know anything about where to/not to live in Manchester and now after reading about Moss Side I'm scared I'll get in trouble whenever I want to go back home from uni/town. I thought that the house being close to the uni meant it would be a safe area.

just go there and let you presence be known and make people aware you're not one to be ****ed with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Moss Side is okish during the day, at night you may hear gunshots and endless sirens but you'll get used to it
Its bark is worse than its bite - a lot of its reputation comes from the 1980s when things genuinely were dreadful, but there has been a lot of police work and a lot of investment since then, and it is a lot better than it once was.

I'd still not be keen on my 18 year old child moving there though - do make sure you always get a taxi home at night, and get contents insurance too.

Mind, I'd be just as concerned by the 6 month tenancy thing - you may find that your landlord decides to evict you then, so you'll find yourself having to move home midway through the academic year.
Original post by Anonimity
Moss Side is okish during the day, at night you may hear gunshots and endless sirens but you'll get used to it

I'm sorry but thus a liee u don't hear gunshots at night anymore in moss side
Original post by Origami Bullets
Its bark is worse than its bite - a lot of its reputation comes from the 1980s when things genuinely were dreadful, but there has been a lot of police work and a lot of investment since then, and it is a lot better than it once was.

I'd still not be keen on my 18 year old child moving there though - do make sure you always get a taxi home at night, and get contents insurance too.

Mind, I'd be just as concerned by the 6 month tenancy thing - you may find that your landlord decides to evict you then, so you'll find yourself having to move home midway through the academic year.

Ur talking about history.. And now moss side has changed I live there n ino the differences better
Original post by prudence290497
Ur talking about history.. And now moss side has changed I live there n ino the differences better

As I said, it's a lot better than it once was.

In any case, I spent two years living on the edge of Moss Side, so it's not like I'm unfamiliar with the area....
Original post by prudence290497
I'm sorry but thus a liee u don't hear gunshots at night anymore in moss side

Keep telling yourself that love, but 11 of my hall mates got mugged in the first month, couple of dead bodies found. Moss Side is ok if you're black, if you're white you're a target. At least Peace FM is good.
Original post by Anonimity
Keep telling yourself that love, but 11 of my hall mates got mugged in the first month, couple of dead bodies found. Moss Side is ok if you're black, if you're white you're a target. At least Peace FM is good.

Absolute B.S

Posted from TSR Mobile
The school I went to was there, its not that bad an area
Original post by Waka Flocka

What? Peace FM is great
Reply 14
I don't know what to believe anymore xD. Thanks all for the replies; anyway, I'm moving in tomorrow, I'll see how everything goes and hopefully I'll be okay. :biggrin:
Reply 15
octionut

It should be fine. In fact, living in a residential area is usually safer as you're less likely to be targeted for being a student. I actually lived inside Moss Side itself for two years. The worst thing that happened to me is not getting my alley key back from a guy who lent it.

The only thing I'd emphasise is not to make yourself a target. Lock windows and doors, set the house alarm and keep your belongs out of view when your house is unoccupied. Moreover, maintain a good awareness of your surroundings late at night and try to avoid walking around in the late evening or early morning.

This is not specific to Moss Side or Manchester, but to big cities in general.

Cheers

Darren

It's not as bad as it used to be, but there is still crime. Stay safe, lock your doors when you leave the house. There are still burglaries!
No.. Da Moss has changed considerably over the decades. I can remember when it was a place where white men were looked at if they passed through. There were shabeens and pubs where only black men drank. I also remember the days of Gunchester, the gun fights between the Gooch gang and other factions in Cheetham hill and Salford. It has all been swept away. Moss side is multicultural and has many new modern buildings and new housing. Sure there are still old school afro-caribbean residents who have been in the area for decades and there are new immigrants but the old days are all gone.

There are still pockets of iffyness but then you get that everywhere..
I don't know what to believe anymore xD. Thanks all for the replies; anyway, I'm moving in tomorrow, I'll see how everything goes and hopefully I'll be okay. :biggrin:

what was it like in the end ?
Reply 19
Total ********, you are 20 years out of date

Latest