The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

A* in Further Maths and A in Maths?

On their website, it says they accept people who will be predicted A* in FM and an A in Maths as well as on the prospectus. However, when I e-mailed them and added it onto a query, they didn't even answer it.

Anyone know for definite if it is safe to apply with this? I'm considering Maths with Economics.
Original post by SteelCookie
Anyone know for definite if it is safe to apply with this? I'm considering Maths with Economics.

It depends on what you're predicted. The requirements seem pretty clear to me...
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
On their website, it says they accept people who will be predicted A* in FM and an A in Maths as well as on the prospectus. However, when I e-mailed them and added it onto a query, they didn't even answer it.

Not logical as FM is more difficult than Maths. Please check your source again. It should read A* in Maths and A in FM. Agree?
Reply 3
Original post by mattwilkins
It depends on what you're predicted. The requirements seem pretty clear to me...

Original post by GandalfWhite
Not logical as FM is more difficult than Maths. Please check your source again. It should read A* in Maths and A in FM. Agree?

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howtoapply/lseentryrequirements.aspx

Scroll down to A* Grade At A-Level

I've already achieved an A in Maths, I'm taking a gap year to take FM and achieve an A*. Or I may retake C4 to get the extra UMS for an A* if I hold an offer and they allow me to do it (which is extremely unlikely :P )
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howtoapply/lseentryrequirements.aspx

Scroll down to A* Grade At A-Level

I've already achieved an A in Maths, I'm taking a gap year to take FM and achieve an A*. Or I may retake C4 to get the extra UMS for an A* if I hold an offer and they allow me to do it (which is extremely unlikely :P )

This is completely different to what you asked but okay. It would help if you told us your entry requirements or at least the course.

Say your requirements are A* in Maths, AA in two sciences, they will accept instead A* FM, A Maths, AA in two sciences.

IMO that is a ridiculous compromise as it's twice the work and even harder to do that well in both but that's University for you.

In regards to your specific situation, I would not suggest doing what you said. If you got an A in maths the liklihood is that you will get around an A or B in FM, so will be a waste of a year. Retaking C4 is a better option but only if you really think you can get your grade high enough.

I think the best option is to look for other courses. Also unless you were planning a gap year anyway to do something worthwhile, doing a level retakes is IMO a waste of a year, and won't look good on your record.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Guess I don't have a shot at LSE :frown:
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Guess I don't have a shot at LSE :frown:

There are many other excellent universities like Warwick, UCL, Durham, Bristol, Kings, etc etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending