Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Njörðr)
    I've always liked geography and I've always fancied studying geology. I've looked into both degree pathways and they each have modules I really do not want to do. I hate maths, I only just got a C at GCSE... it's always been my worst subject so would picking the Natural Sciences pathway be a mistake?

I have constructed a pathway for each degree and colour coded it to show you what I mean; green means I want to do it, red means I don't. What would you do?

Environmental Sciences:

Environment: journeys through a changing world (U116)
    Exploring science (S104)

Environmental science (S206)
    Earth science (S209)

Ecosystems (S396)
    Science project course: environmental science practical project (SXE390)
    Oceanography (S330)
    The geological record of environmental change (S369)

Natural Sciences (Earth Sciences):

Exploring science (S104)
    Investigative and mathematical skills in science (S141)
    Topics in science (S142)

Earth science (S209)
    Environmental science (S206)

The geological record of environmental change (S369)
    Understanding the continents (S339)
    Oceanography (S330)
    Science project course: geosciences (SXG390)
    A lot of the modules are being phased out and replaced or merged with others. E.g. Ecosystems starts for the last time next Oct. Which means if you are starting from Level 1 you won't reach it in time even if doing full time study. The pathways and qualifications are currently being looked at in respect to new modules and combinations so it might all change. I would wait until the new prospectuses and guidelines are out personally before making a decision. It's what I'm doing as I'm finishing off a degree now but want to do a nat sci one using some credit transfer so I'm waiting to find out what the new modules are and the pathways.

ReputationRep:
    I am having the exact same thoughts at the moment. Currently studying S104, and had the aim to do Natural Sciences Earth Sciences but I am really not enjoying the maths so thinking of switching to Environmental Sciences... Argh! Decisions, decisions! I am just a bit concerned that Environmental may not be looked upon as favourably as Natural Sciences would be if I wanted to go on to do further research, because of the lacking in mathematical content? What are your thoughts on this now? Did you make up your mind?

ReputationRep:
    If maths was my weakness, I would be more inclined to take the pathway with extra level 1 maths as you will need it in later modules. Otherwise you will be scratching around half the time later on trying to teach yourself a subject you have little aptitude for. Maths is my best subject, so for me I'd be more interested in the other pathway although even then I might not take it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar boat to you at the moment, but haven't been able to find out the modules for the courses (so thanks for that!). I'm 100% Biology focussed, however.

Perhaps you could take an Open Degree instead of one of their chosen courses. This allows you total flexibility of the modules you choose, so you could remove your 'red' modules and replace them with other ones that interest you more. However, at this expense you lose the named degree. So for example you would be awarded with a BSc Open instead of a BSc Natural Science. But if you follow one of their premade degrees minus a couple modules here and there I don't see why you couldn't put BSc Open (Natural Sciences) on your CV etc.

I hope this helps! (I'm going through it too!)
    _____
    Chloe

ReputationRep:
    All lead to a new JSA claim

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As you've discovered, the OU doesn't do a straight Geography degree. Most wannabe geographers have a leaning towards either human or the physical side. If it's the physical side you're after then I'd recommend the Natural Sciences Earth Sciences pathway or Environmental Science pathway (will have far more human content but I think less than the Environmental Science degree).

If you like the human stuff and want minimal science then something like International Studies might be useful but many might consider that degree to have less weight than a science based degree.

I don't think that there's much of a problem with the Open degree. The less informed might turn their noses up but most responsible employers would take the trouble to read through your module list and see what you've covered in your studies and at what level. They'd have to do that for someone with a combo degree anyway. Any questions they have, they can ask at interview.

So bottom line, do what you think feels right and don't overly worry about what employers might think. If you're any good, you'll get a relevant job anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would opt for BSc Environmental Sciences or BA Environmental Studies, not an open degree.

But!!!
    You preferences may change after the year or two and you can still have an opportunity to change you qualification path without problems.
    Take these two modules at first and decide later.
    Environment: journeys through a changing world (U116)
    Exploring science (S104)

ReputationRep:
    Don't do environmental studies. Do Natural Sciences or Environmental Sciences. The former would be more akin to geology, than geography, but you can still go on to do geography with that degree. The latter would also be more akin to geology, but with less of a hard sciences bent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BestProfileName)
    Don't do environmental studies. Do Natural Sciences or Environmental Sciences. The former would be more akin to geology, than geography, but you can still go on to do geography with that degree. The latter would also be more akin to geology, but with less of a hard sciences bent.
    Yes, Environmental Studies is for those who want to study the Environment but with a social science bent. It's not a science degree hence the BA.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.