This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hello.
I was just wondering if there is anyone who has just started A level Japanese or is studying any other qualification. i am really bored and i would also like to hear about what other people thought of the AS exam03.
From Louise xx
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
physics or maths any good?!?!?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Japanese language? Totally unworthy of my time.
Petrozzi
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
lol
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Anatowa Nihongoga Wakarimaska?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hai.
Watashi wa Nihongo ga wakarimasu.
Anata desu ka?
AS level shiken ga muzukashi desu ka?
Kanji ga wakarimasu ka?
Louise yori
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
Japanese language? Totally unworthy of my time.
Bah!

Anyway I would love to learn Japanese...my brother introduced me to anime a while ago which I greatly enjoy and I have picked up a couple of words/phrases etc etc...tis such a shame my school doesn't offer it as a course! *sigh*

My sister, who has a talent for languages which I unfortunatly lack, was hoping to do it at uni but there wasn;t a course available that had what she wanted (she is currently doing spanish and french and wanted to do spanish main and japanese...-I really am having trouble explaining!)

Ah well...goodluck with it
tweetsy85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm nowhere near ready for an Alevel in Japanese, but I did take a basic course!! So for anyone who's interested (and I apologise in advance for spelling mistakes but this is how an amateur like me pronounces these. any corrections are welcome)

Hello - konijiwa
How are you? - ganki deska?
I'm fine- ganki des
what's your name - oni-ma-o-wa?
my name is ____ - watashiwa _____ des
there it is - kor-e wa / sor-e wa
1- ichi
2- ni
3- san
4- yon (yawn)
5-go
6- rocko (rolling the r)
7- nana
8- hatchi
9- cue
10- jew

if anyone has other basic words... i for one would be interested
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I thought 4 was si (shi?) ...maybe I be wrong...just on an anime series my brother had they always did a work out...and it was like
"itch! ni! san! shi!..." or something

I really enjoy anime...and find I am picking up small bits of the language as I go...
rowei
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I would love to learn this language.
Unregistered1
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by rowei
I would love to learn this language.
Because? I would not touch this language with a 2 foot pole, even though having great advantage over complete beginners in learning it, considering that I know most of Kanji. Nowadays, Japanese has become obsolete for many careers. It was wise to consider learning it for the Asian market maybe 20 years ago. Now there's one other vastly dominating language worth learning, much more than Japanese. I think one should be able to guess, and I have said enough.
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I would love to learn Chinese and Japanese, cause it would probably come in really handy, not to mention that Chinese is, or will soon become, the most popular language on the internet, has the largest population, and is becoming a potentially extremely good market. I also lile languages, hence doing French, Spanish, German, and English GCSE. I've only continued with French though for AS, and plan to do it next year for AS.

Phil
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah but the all the chinese are behind a big ol' firewall that blocks alot of content of the internet. The chinese authorities are worried that they wil read negative stuff bout china being a communist state and dictatorship. So they bloke it off. thats why u dont get loads and loads of chinese ppl on the intenet as we no it. There are a billion of them and so there should be a major showing from them.
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Didn't actually know that, only reason I knew chinese was big on the net, was because saw an ad for it a while back, by Andersen consulting I think, or something like that.

Phil
Vin
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Ollie
yeah but the all the chinese are behind a big ol' firewall that blocks alot of content of the internet. The chinese authorities are worried that they wil read negative stuff bout china being a communist state and dictatorship. So they bloke it off. thats why u dont get loads and loads of chinese ppl on the intenet as we no it. There are a billion of them and so there should be a major showing from them.
PHIL has touched upon my point in my earlier post exactly (I was Unregistered1). However, learning one orthographic language is already very, very time consuming, notwithstanding the need to master all of reading, writing, listening and speaking to a considerable standard for one's career. I would say, "investing" in one Asian language and perfecting it would be rather useful over learning two to a lesser standard.

Besides, the Japanese market nowadays and for the past ten years has been in a complete shambles; I would never want to invest or make a venture there.

On the political side, this is true about the Chinese government - about the blockage and censorship, with the Internet being one of the forms of communication being affected. Though, have you considered the more "internal", less obvious dictatorship in Japan? Yes, in a certain degree it's more open than China, but still, internal censorship and domination over foreign business are still prevalent, equally if not more than China. For example, many international firms opening branches in Japan all require partnership with local firm giants, which in China does not happen at all. Thus, on the commercial side which only matters, China is worth considering much more than Japan, notwithstanding its rapidly booming market.

Foreigners would never want to tred on sensitive boundaries of its "dictatorship" but instead focus on the capitalist side of things, i.e. commercial deals and business. Here, it is relatively open, and is virtually all that matters really.
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Mind you, China is evolving (all be it extremely slowly) into a more capitalist and democratic statem, an example of this can be found by the way in which the chinese government actually listened to protestors in Hong Kong, rather than making a reapeat of Tianumen Square. Agreed, this is HK, and not mainland China, but this does still show that the chinese government is at least listening to some of its citizens, and China's economy is forecast to grow exponentially fast.
However, I do agree that the work involved in learning Chinese or Japanese, is too much to even consider at the moment.

Phil
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was under the impression English/American English was the most used internet language at present...misinformation?
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i wasnt aware that there was american english, and i also throught i was the most used language onthe net
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think, but again am not sure, that Chinese is the most used langauge, though according to ollie, the reason you don't see much chinese, is due to restrictions imposed by the chinese government.

Phil
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i thought that the most used language in teh world was spanish, not chinese because there are many forms of it
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (163)
15.45%
Uncertainty around my education (172)
16.3%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (103)
9.76%
Isolating with family (71)
6.73%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (39)
3.7%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (91)
8.63%
Loneliness (106)
10.05%
Financial worries (48)
4.55%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (97)
9.19%
Exposure to negative news/social media (74)
7.01%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (91)
8.63%

Watched Threads