The Student Room Group

Is my progress slow or average? Need little bit of advice, Thanks!

I have just completed my 11th hour driving lesson. I have been having 2 hour lessons once a week with one 1 hour lesson aswell.
I like my instructor he's funny and we both get along really well, both have similar interests in cars etc.
Anyway, he said my progress so far is quite good, he said i drive perfectly under his instructions but when left to my own devices i make mistakes like gear changing and constantly over steering/under steering and controlling speed coming to a stop with clutch/brake but i am slowly getting better at judging when to break to stop at lines etc.

So far i have driven around quiet estates and busy 30mph roads learning the basics of starting, stopping, pulling out, turning left/right from major roads to minor roads and minor roads to major roads, changing gears 1-4.
Anyway he said my progress is coming along nicely but i am the type of person that is never happy with my progress and always want to do better, is this progress actually coming along good in your opinion, should i be doing other skills such as roundabouts etc by now?

I know everyone is different with learning to drive as it is a completely new skill, i rarely stall, only stalled once throughout my lessons which i'm pretty pleased with.

Another thing is how can i better my steering, hes constantly saying "look where your going and you'll go where your looking". I'm always cutting corners and often drift a bit close to the kerbs and the middle of the road.

Sorry its long, i just want a little bit of advice.
Thanks!!
I took countless lessons/hours even before I took the test (50+). I failed first time with 3 minors and 1 serious (attributed mostly to nerves); and passed second times with 3 minors.
Just take your time, and do your test when you feel ready. Everyone is different; though there are some guidelines up regarding how much time is recommended on the road before hand.
Reply 2
Original post by hellodave5
I took countless lessons/hours even before I took the test (50+). I failed first time with 3 minors and 1 serious (attributed mostly to nerves); and passed second times with 3 minors.
Just take your time, and do your test when you feel ready. Everyone is different; though there are some guidelines up regarding how much time is recommended on the road before hand.

Hi Dave, Yeah i understand everyone is different, i don't really feel nervous during my lessons anymore, its beginning to become a 2nd nature to me just the occasional mistakes which i can easily fix. I think once my steering has improved ill be fine, i'm forever turning to much or not enough, starting to become annoying, guess it just takes a while to get that spacial awareness of the car on the road i guess!
Thanks!
Reply 3
My instructor is always telling me that I just need to get used to the width of the car, and after the 14 or so lessons I've had it's much easier for me to judge where in the road the car is and how close I am to the curb or middle of the road. After a 7ish week break from driving I'm now finding this a bit more difficult.

Please excuse my rambling, haha. I guess I'm just trying to say you will get used to it in time. Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 4
Yeah thats what hes saying to me aswell, guess it is just getting to grips with the size of the car and getting my bearings for it! That sounds perfect, im going into my 12th/13th hour tomorrow so fingers crossed i start judging steering better. Just want to be driving now, i'm so eager to drive!
Best of luck to you aswell, hope you find it better soon!
thanks for the reply, much appriciated :smile:

QUOTE=wrenny;50309119]My instructor is always telling me that I just need to get used to the width of the car, and after the 14 or so lessons I've had it's much easier for me to judge where in the road the car is and how close I am to the curb or middle of the road. After a 7ish week break from driving I'm now finding this a bit more difficult.

Please excuse my rambling, haha. I guess I'm just trying to say you will get used to it in time. Best of luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending