The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

No Student Visa?

Firstly, [OIUHAFDIUGHP82G2PYGFWPYGSIFGDSGFSV.

As you can probably tell, I'm not in a great mood. Apparently, there's a good chance that I won't be getting my student visa in time for my flight on the 14th. I am in a state of panic. What's going to happen if I don't have it in time? Will I not be allowed into the UK? Will I miss freshers week? Shoot me now. Or tell me that I have nothing to worry about- that they'll somehow magically admit me through customs.

:frown:
Reply 1
Chris I'm so sorry! :frown: Firstly, I would call the British Consulate in Canada, explain your situation, and ask if there is anything you can do to have a visa by Sept 14th. Is it possible that you could visit them and have your visa done that day? I think that the British Consulate is in Ottawa. Also, my visa came pretty quickly and didn't take nearly as long as they said it would. When did you send for one? It might come sooner than you think. I'm sure that you will make freshers week!!!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/UKVisasDoINeedAVisa?url=%2Fservlet%2FFront%3Fpagename%3DOpenMarket%2FXcelerate%2FShowPage%26c%3DPage%26cid%3D1006977149962&purpose=Visitor%2Ftourist&nationality=Canada&location=Canada

^if you are coming home in december, it seems that you can stay the first three months without a visa. so, you could re-enter after christmas break wih your student visa. that seems like it would work, but i would definitely run it by someone at the british embassy.
Reply 3
mishy1121
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/UKVisasDoINeedAVisa?url=%2Fservlet%2FFront%3Fpagename%3DOpenMarket%2FXcelerate%2FShowPage%26c%3DPage%26cid%3D1006977149962&purpose=Visitor%2Ftourist&nationality=Canada&location=Canada

^if you are coming home in december, it seems that you can stay the first three months without a visa. so, you could re-enter after christmas break wih your student visa. that seems like it would work, but i would definitely run it by someone at the british embassy.

ohh good idea! That sounds like it would work. :smile: Definitely call them, and maybe ask if you could check the status of your visa application, because it might be on it's way.
Reply 4
Yeah, if you don't get it in time just "visit" until Christmas, or if you're planning to travel elsewhere before that, get your visa fedexed to you so that you can get it stamped when you re-enter. I'm sure you'll be fine.. I have a friend who "visited" Cornell for her first few weeks because the American consulate was so slow with her visa.
Reply 5
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice and reassurance. *crosses fingers that things will work out*
Reply 6
Wow, my visa and passport have been lost in the mail. Doesn't look like I'll be there at least for the first few days of freshers :frown:

This is the worst thing ever.
Reply 7
What the hell, how did that happen? As in did they receive it and it was lost on the way back or on the way there?
Reply 8
Thats bad, is it your fault or theirs, if its theirs I think you should be properly compensated to the huge effect it will have on your education, as well as the cost of a new passport :wink:
what!?!? so are you flying [today!?] or not?

[edit] okay, lol, its not yet the 14th in Canada, lol, time diffs

Chris that is awful! pulls strings, dear lord cry even, someone might take pity. i HATE red tape, thats ****
Reply 10
It's unbelievable.... I find out tomorrow at noon if they've located it. Fingers crossed that I'll make freshers!! AHH!!
Reply 11
you should make as huge a deal about it as possible, i'm talking tantrums and all :smile: that's so DUMB that they could lose something that important, hopefully they find it soon and you won't have to miss very much of fresher's... you've still got a bit of time left to sort everything out :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending