The Student Room Group

Escaping Long-Term Unemployment

Scroll to see replies

I feel for you. I really do. I'm in a minimum wage job as I need the money for a masters in my chosen field but I don't think I'll last much longer. Just wanted to say hang in there, it'll get better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Quady
The civil service is more like 30:1, but given people will be applying for around six different organisations, its more like 5:1.

Not sure about your maths there but I doubt it's >300:1, at least.
Reply 22
Original post by SignOnSimon
Not sure about your maths there but I doubt it's >300:1, at least.

No maths involved, its in the annual recruitment report:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/359237/Annex_-_2013_Annual_Report_data_FINAL.pdf

Page 1, second table. 37.9:1 (or 38:1 is you round it)

Not sure where your figure comes from...
Reply 23
Original post by PoliticsGrad4044
I would welcome any comments from people who have been in a similar position/words of encouragement/suggestions.

I've posted here before and got trolling comments pointing out I took a useless degree. Please no comments like that. As I've said below I regret taking a degree but what is done is done.

Degree Success

I graduated with a First in Politics from a top 20 university and a reference describing me as “easily in the 10 ten students in the year group academically”. Had a brilliant time but by final year I felt I had outgrown the trappings of student life didn’t want a Masters and couldn’t afford one anyway.

Following that I did an internship for an MP which was useful for the CV but was a bit limited in terms of the responsibilities I was given.

So far so good? But after that I really struggled to get anything.

Signing On

After struggling to get anything for a number of months I swallowed my pride and signed on. My local job centre is in a pretty working class town. They said I spoke “posh” and it was clear that middle-class uni graduates were not their usual clientèle. I signed on next to someone with an obvious drug dependency and was threatened with a “sanction” of my benefits if I didn’t sign up to something called Universal Jobs Match.

I went from being a confident positive university graduate to someone whose self-esteem had been trampled on and the consequence was that my interview performance was being impaired as I was so desperate to sign off. Eventually I signed off realising that UKJCP were hindering rather than helping my job search.

Volunteering

To pick myself up I started volunteering with a local charity shop. The other volunteers my age are someone repeating their GCSE English and Maths and someone with moderate SEN on a Seetec welfare-to-work programme. Decent people but I can’t help but think ‘how on earth have I ended up here?’.

With a First from a Russell Group university and straight A grades at A-level/GCSE I stick out like a sore thumb. It was initially useful in terms of getting me back into a routine but I’ve been there too long and have needed to move on for some time. It is a world away from graduate level employment and frankly a bit of a dead end after a while.

I am particularly keen to move on given that their head office at Angel rejected me without even offering me an interview for a temp role.

Impact of unemployment

I know a sob story gets you nowhere but the impact of what has become long-term unemployment is not pretty in terms of loss of friendships and my own sense of self-worth. I’m frankly embarrassed about my situation and my social media pages have all been closed for the past six months so I don’t have to field embarrassing questions about what I’m currently up to.

It is pathetic but I miss going for a beer of a Friday night in London like I did when working in Parliament. Beyond the obvious financial consequences of not having a job it is also pretty isolating.

Interviews

I’ve had a few interviews for public affairs roles. I’ve been bombarding W4MP the jobs board for politics type roles but very little is coming back and I am starting to think maybe that is just too difficult to break into. “Lack of experience” is coming up again and again whether that is the real reason for rejection or just their way of fobbing me of. I was recently rejected for a minimum wage internship and this is having already done one internship before and gained a first!

More internships?

Being honest with myself the idea of being a perpetual intern isn’t that appealing and there is a part of me that would prefer the “stability” of some minimum wage retail job in Debenhams or Marks and Sparks as opposed to being a here-today-gone-tomorrow intern again worrying about where I’ll be in six months. There is something infantilising about internships after a certain age I want to finish learning to drive something impossible when you don’t know whether you will be earning 3 months down the line.

Perhaps I was just an arrogant graduate but there was a time when I would have considered minimum wage retail roles as not what I spent 20k on a degree for. Now I would be delighted with one seeing I’m essentially doing the same thing but for free at the moment.
I deeply regret getting my degree but you can’t turn back the clock. The “overqualified” tag is a problem I didn’t work during my degree so removing my degree leaves a three year CV gap something even worse in employer’s eyes than the degree itself.

Conclusion

In some sense this is a typical tale of student with perfect academic record who has had trouble adjusting to the real world. I was initially gob-smacked realising that a degree meant so little in the real world. :biggrin:

Inexperienced when applying to graduate level jobs. Overqualified when lowering my sights.

In any case long term unemployment covered up with travel and voluntary work makes all employers more risk averse.

The economy is starting to improve and excuses about the recession become less easy to maintain.

I feel like I'm hitting my head against a brick wall. :mad:

LOL! I don't usually read these long sob story posts but yours was a giggle from start to finish. I love when things go wrong for people who think because of their fortunate upbringing, they're automatically better than those born on council estates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango
LOL! I don't usually read these long sob story posts but yours was a giggle from start to finish. I love when things go wrong for people who think because of their fortunate upbringing, they're automatically better than those born on council estates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was it Angela Carter said - comedy is tragedy that happens to other people...

I won’t be commenting on this thread any more as I don't wish to be trolled but…

I was brought up in a council house. We took advantage of right to buy on rather favourable terms which meant we went from paying rent at the council offices to paying a mortgage.

My point that was perhaps lost on you is that going from being lauded as one your department's brightest graduates at a "posh" rah-ish RG uni to signing on next to someone with an evident drug addiction is a bit of a culture shock.
(edited 9 years ago)
To bump this thread months later - Well what happened to me?

I’m now doing the public affairs work at a cancer charity. A role that matched the rather odd path I took in the years after university.

As you can tell from some of the comments on here unemployment impacts on the way others perceive you. This is the worst part of unemployment as it ultimately the perceptions of other people that decide whether you become employed again unless you go self-employed I suppose.
I could write a treatise on how the recession impacted on us as family but ultimately you can’t understand something like that without living it first-hand.

The fact that I am no longer active in party politics seemed to be something of a sticking point at a number of interviews in my failed attempts to get into a number of politics related jobs even in consultancies where that should not have really been an issue.

Why they kept asking? Honestly?

I am not really tribal enough for *party* politics. Certainly less tribal than my student days. Any job where you are having to justify not being the same person who you were aged 18 probably isn’t right for you. I’m not Peter Pan…
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi
Please understand my situation before reading this. I'm a PoC with autism (a disability) and for most of my life I've had to endure racism and unfavourable treatment in my life due to my disability in the UK and I'm completely burnt out as nothing I do seems to help me get a job.I live in a small town without essential support services for people like me or no jobs.My family situation is complicated to say the least so I can't get help from them,I'm not particularly well off,in fact I had to claim ESA in order to access the Job Centres job seeking services in my case,when I'd rather not have to claim this.I struggle with depression and anxiety problems as well as not being able to talk myself into a job through networking or through interviews.I sometimes feel like self-harming but thankfully never went through with it as too depressed to even follow that through.I can't afford to move to London where all the jobs are but am basically in a desperate position now,living at home isn't going well for me,in fact my life is unbearable due to these multiple factors.

Anyway enough of the introduction and to my main topic.I went to university (started in 2009 and graduated in 2012) to get a degree in Video and film production,my careers service failed me as they never told me key info at the right time,and when I chased them up,they fobbed me off repeatedly,my peers and some staff weren't overly kind or welcoming to me.After my graduation I found myself abandoned by everyone I ever thought was a friend in life,overwhelmed with a sense of betrayal I pushed on alone to try and find work by signing up to 10 different job boards I knew of,applied for countless jobs,work experience and internships and only got 5 work experiences in 4 years despite countless applications since 2012,I called people they put the phone down on me,I got abuse from some receptionists in the industry (TV),I was recently trolled by a TV professional (I filed a complaint with their company TwentyTwenty Productions and this is under investigation since last week) when simply asking for the same help I saw her give to another person on a Facebook group.

Short list of things I did to get work:applied for countless work experiences,jobs,internships,volunteering placements with charities,attended training courses,networked with 4 people who gave me a chance at networking events but the rest didn't want to talk to me,even though I on a smile during these events,applied for ESA to make use of the Job Centres facilities to try and find work,setup as a freelancer since 2013 but no clients whatsoever and burnt out.

I struggled to figure out Facebook until last month when I finally signed up to it as I struggle with all social media due to not knowing how to talk to people due to autism and when people see that I have autism (easy for people to tell simply because of how I write-I get trolled or excluded from social groups/networks) I face worse treatment on there.

I still can't get employers to love my work and know the real me (kind,generous,hard working,talented,Outgoing-when depression doesn't interfere with my life that is) after trying so hard since 2012.I'm also trying to make a feature film raising autism awareness worldwide with my unique approaches but it's costing me a fortune to make.

I was invited for 20 interviews but only 5 of those gave me work experience in the last 4 years and none of them gave me jobs after this.I'm broken,depressed,worn out,hurt and looking for a way out of all this.

I'm looking for someone who can network with me to give me work in TV as I can't imagine doing anything else in life (well maybe except banking) as well as support from others.

I need help guys,I really do and I don't know where else to turn so I'm posting this here.
Original post by PoliticsGrad4044
I would welcome any comments from people who have been in a similar position/words of encouragement/suggestions.

I've posted here before and got trolling comments pointing out I took a useless degree. Please no comments like that. As I've said below I regret taking a degree but what is done is done.

Degree Success

I graduated with a First in Politics from a top 20 university and a reference describing me as “easily in the 10 ten students in the year group academically”. Had a brilliant time but by final year I felt I had outgrown the trappings of student life didn’t want a Masters and couldn’t afford one anyway.

Following that I did an internship for an MP which was useful for the CV but was a bit limited in terms of the responsibilities I was given.

So far so good? But after that I really struggled to get anything.

Signing On

After struggling to get anything for a number of months I swallowed my pride and signed on. My local job centre is in a pretty working class town. They said I spoke “posh” and it was clear that middle-class uni graduates were not their usual clientèle. I signed on next to someone with an obvious drug dependency and was threatened with a “sanction” of my benefits if I didn’t sign up to something called Universal Jobs Match.

I went from being a confident positive university graduate to someone whose self-esteem had been trampled on and the consequence was that my interview performance was being impaired as I was so desperate to sign off. Eventually I signed off realising that UKJCP were hindering rather than helping my job search.

Volunteering

To pick myself up I started volunteering with a local charity shop. The other volunteers my age are someone repeating their GCSE English and Maths and someone with moderate SEN on a Seetec welfare-to-work programme. Decent people but I can’t help but think ‘how on earth have I ended up here?’.

With a First from a Russell Group university and straight A grades at A-level/GCSE I stick out like a sore thumb. It was initially useful in terms of getting me back into a routine but I’ve been there too long and have needed to move on for some time. It is a world away from graduate level employment and frankly a bit of a dead end after a while.

I am particularly keen to move on given that their head office at Angel rejected me without even offering me an interview for a temp role.

Impact of unemployment

I know a sob story gets you nowhere but the impact of what has become long-term unemployment is not pretty in terms of loss of friendships and my own sense of self-worth. I’m frankly embarrassed about my situation and my social media pages have all been closed for the past six months so I don’t have to field embarrassing questions about what I’m currently up to.

It is pathetic but I miss going for a beer of a Friday night in London like I did when working in Parliament. Beyond the obvious financial consequences of not having a job it is also pretty isolating.

Interviews

I’ve had a few interviews for public affairs roles. I’ve been bombarding W4MP the jobs board for politics type roles but very little is coming back and I am starting to think maybe that is just too difficult to break into. “Lack of experience” is coming up again and again whether that is the real reason for rejection or just their way of fobbing me of. I was recently rejected for a minimum wage internship and this is having already done one internship before and gained a first!

More internships?

Being honest with myself the idea of being a perpetual intern isn’t that appealing and there is a part of me that would prefer the “stability” of some minimum wage retail job in Debenhams or Marks and Sparks as opposed to being a here-today-gone-tomorrow intern again worrying about where I’ll be in six months. There is something infantilising about internships after a certain age I want to finish learning to drive something impossible when you don’t know whether you will be earning 3 months down the line.

Perhaps I was just an arrogant graduate but there was a time when I would have considered minimum wage retail roles as not what I spent 20k on a degree for. Now I would be delighted with one seeing I’m essentially doing the same thing but for free at the moment.
I deeply regret getting my degree but you can’t turn back the clock. The “overqualified” tag is a problem I didn’t work during my degree so removing my degree leaves a three year CV gap something even worse in employer’s eyes than the degree itself.

Conclusion

In some sense this is a typical tale of student with perfect academic record who has had trouble adjusting to the real world. I was initially gob-smacked realising that a degree meant so little in the real world. :biggrin:

Inexperienced when applying to graduate level jobs. Overqualified when lowering my sights.

In any case long term unemployment covered up with travel and voluntary work makes all employers more risk averse.

The economy is starting to improve and excuses about the recession become less easy to maintain.

I feel like I'm hitting my head against a brick wall. :mad:

I am in a pretty identical situation and trying my best to get out of it with no luck. It's 2017 and still, nothing. I am a 2013 graduate with a little under a year's experience in work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending