Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    I think one of the major achievemets of the church must be that it attempts to encourage forgiveness, thus doing all it can to eliminate retarded revolting attitudes like the one you're expressing (unless you're joking in which case ignore this). Vengeance ain't the way to go sweetheart, and neither is glorying in brutality.
    *cough* crusades *cough*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Imperator)
    WTF is wrong with you catholics. You dont even consider the bible correct?!

Euf i just read the rest of this thread. Depressing really.
    Yes. The bible is a book of mostly made up stories and hear say'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Yes. The bible is a book of mostly made up stories and hear say'.

whoa. I'm glad you dont represent the true current of Christian thought.

the Bible is a transcription of the rememberances of the Disciples of Christ, God's Prophet. It still has many valid points, but for ultimate truth one must of course turn to the actual full Word of God, the Qur'an.

But for the Bible to be disparaged in such a way by someone who seems an ardent Christian....

ReputationRep:
    whoa. I'm glad you dont represent the true current of Christian thought.

the Bible is a transcription of the rememberances of the Disciples of Christ, God's Prophet. It still has many valid points, but for ultimate truth one must of course turn to the actual full Word of God, the Qur'an.

But for the Bible to be disparaged in such a way by someone who seems an ardent Christian....
    Dear god, not another Islamic psycho, get yourself on the debate page and make another thread about the Qur'an.

I am a realist.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Joey_Johns]Of course, but by giving them money you are only aiding a gang leader take advantage of your willingness to give it. QUOTE]

This is true. Actually if you live in a big city in an LEDC, you develop 'city eyes' and you generally manage to live with the poverty. Sometimes you are really affected, for me that's more when I see someone very elderly who really is suffering. Middle-class parents are often very frightened to let their kids out of sight in case they are kidnapped, maimed and forced to live on the streets.

ReputationRep:
    Dear god, not another Islamic psycho, get yourself on the debate page and make another thread about the Qur'an.

I am a realist.
    thought you were a christian.

ReputationRep:
    OK. So, if i understand correctly:

1) religion that teaches modesty, helping others, not selling yourself, and keeping respectability is "filthy"
    2)we're not supposed to debate social issues?! wtf, i'm not sure if that's sarcasm or autism.

(big shout out to autists, i actually like em, apologies for the slant)
    Please re-read with your sense of humour turned on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faboba)
    I got it; my first reaction was how very 'Oxbridge', turning anything into more meaningful debate...hmm these stereotypes!

ReputationRep:
    sorry, but u turned it off by calling religion 'filthy'

know how to be funny.

ReputationRep:
    sorry, but u turned it off by calling religion 'filthy'

know how to be funny.
    I don't believe you even have a sense of humour. Faboas brand of humour is called sarsasm, lighten up.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe you even have a sense of humour. Faboas brand of humour is called sarsasm, lighten up.
    "sarsasm" has an alienlike-interestingness to it

ReputationRep:
    I love sarcasm, if you knew me, you'd know that. And you might, next year, in St. Johns, if I decide to come. The problem I had with his/her post is that he/she started off with an insult to an institution I hold very dear. An insitution I believe should be above jokes and sarcasm. If only the 2nd part of the post was visible, I would not have said anything.

ReputationRep:
    correct me if im wrong but catholics beleive in sex for precreation only and do not believe in contraception?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockindemon)
    correct me if im wrong but catholics beleive in sex for precreation only and do not believe in contraception?
    Indeed. In real life though such beliefs cannot be implemented, even some of the higest ranking catholics in the world admit that.

ReputationRep:
    OK. So, if i understand correctly:

1) religion that teaches modesty, helping others, not selling yourself, and keeping respectability is "filthy"
    2)we're not supposed to debate social issues?! wtf, i'm not sure if that's sarcasm or autism.

(big shout out to autists, i actually like em, apologies for the slant)
    OK, that entire post was sarcastic! It's not meant to be disrespectable in any way. Don't be so sensitive.

ReputationRep:
    I love sarcasm, if you knew me, you'd know that. And you might, next year, in St. Johns, if I decide to come. The problem I had with his/her post is that he/she started off with an insult to an institution I hold very dear. An insitution I believe should be above jokes and sarcasm. If only the 2nd part of the post was visible, I would not have said anything.
    :rolleyes:

Very well... if you need the joke EXPLAINED....

The humour of the post hinges upon the understanding that religion is NOT a filthy subject but rather a particularly idealistic and abstract one. The idea was to juxtapose the subjects of religion and the poor in the third world ( both important, high brow topics ) which the thread had moved onto with the thread's original topic of 'how much sex can you get at Cambridge' and the issue which was quickly brought up; 'are boarding school girls yummy little tarts or not' both typically low-brow, materialistic issues. The reason it was funny is the mismatching of the labels for each of them; calling the high-brow low and the low-brow high. A good deal of sarcastic humour relies on this twisting of expectations and it's by far and away the easiest way to be funny. It doesn't even require any real thought. What it does require is that the audience notices the difference between what one would expect the subjects to be labelled as, and what they ARE being labelled as.

Don't take this the wrong way... but is English your first language?

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:

Very well... if you need the joke EXPLAINED....

The humour of the post hinges upon the understanding that religion is NOT a filthy subject but rather a particularly idealistic and abstract one. The idea was to juxtapose the subjects of religion and the poor in the third world ( both important, high brow topics ) which the thread had moved onto with the thread's original topic of 'how much sex can you get at Cambridge' and the issue which was quickly brought up; 'are boarding school girls yummy little tarts or not' both typically low-brow, materialistic issues. The reason it was funny is the mismatching of the labels for each of them; calling the high-brow low and the low-brow high. A good deal of sarcastic humour relies on this twisting of expectations and it's by far and away the easiest way to be funny. It doesn't even require any real thought. What it does require is that the audience notices the difference between what one would expect the subjects to be labelled as, and what they ARE being labelled as.

Don't take this the wrong way... but is English your first language?

hahaha

I guarantee you I speak English better than you . And I also assure you that I had no problem understanding the intent behind the joke. The issue that prompted me to make that post, and by now it's long been purely academic, is that I was initially offended by it. Let me tell you that even sarcasm, or more aptly, ESPECIALLY sarcasm, can be heavily insulting at times. While I hold no grudge against you, I just wanted to explain the reasoning behind my decision not to take your post as a light hearted joke. I hope I'm being clear here, I am in no way, shape, or form "mad" at anybody for anything.

I am curious though: were my previous posts not enough indication of my fluency in english? I mean, I usually tend to solicit responses such as "you use so many different words" rather than questions on my nationality. This is a Cambridge board though, maybe smart people are a bit slower than the rest

haaa. yes. Well. It's midnight here and I have exams tommorrow morning. 5 AM it is.

But yeah, if you would indulge my curiosity and tell me what else, aside the apparant issue of me not understanding the joke, prompted you to suggest a disability on my part in relation to English?

ReputationRep:
    i think the sarcasm was coming into play again here mate...

hiroki

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Oh, don't start that again! For the record, we finally met each other yesterday and in a very understated way acknowledged that we knew who each other was. Nothing too exciting for you

Angry phase....well...exam stress, family stress (Grandma is very ill, so much so that I am going home this weekend to see her, otherwise I might not get to) and men. I should be over the men issue by now (entirely different one from before), but it still annoys me a bit.

I shall try to be happy!

I can't believe you actually met him........how did this happen? And did he look at all as you expected? Come on....details!

Sorry about your Grandma

PS Women never get over the Men Issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hiroki)
    i think the sarcasm was coming into play again here mate...

hiroki
    ha....**** I'm getting so retarded coz of these exams then..

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.