Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MentallyIll)
    I can't believe you actually met him........how did this happen? And did he look at all as you expected? Come on....details!
    I knew what he looked like and who he was before, so no surprises there. He was doing something with computers at the May Ball ticket collection thing the other night, and he realised who I was (had to hand over college ID to get your ticket). No big deal at all

Sorry about your Grandma
    Tis ok, I went to see her yesterday and it was quite shocking to see just how bad she's got in the 3 weeks since I came back to Cambridge. She can't even talk any more as it takes up too much energy, but she is still aware of what's going on and can listen to us and so on. No idea how long this is going to go on for though

PS Women never get over the Men Issue
    I know. My head knows that and knows I should get on with more important things, but try telling that to my subconscious! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    im looking forward to coming and meeting some new girls, but i reckon most of them with be like...."no i must study" and that sounds reli stereotypical and demeaning, lol, sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockindemon)
    im looking forward to coming and meeting some new girls, but i reckon most of them with be like...."no i must study" and that sounds reli stereotypical and demeaning, lol, sorry
    Hell can you blame them? With the exception of fresher's week I doubt I'll be able to escape from studying this side of Christmas. Talk about feeling like you're fighting out of your weight class.

ReputationRep:
    hahahahahahaha

sigh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I knew what he looked like and who he was before, so no surprises there. He was doing something with computers at the May Ball ticket collection thing the other night, and he realised who I was (had to hand over college ID to get your ticket). No big deal at all
    It was pretty crazy, we processed 380 tickets or so in an hour and a half that night, was non-stop! I was just generally there to makesure the systems worked because another (compsci) mate is tickets and security and I wrote the script that did the adding of barcodes to the system and checking on people's purchasing status. I'll likely be around looking after them while everyone is entering the ball too, then I get to go in and enjoy the rest of it.
    The most difficult thing was trying to spell people's surnames properly, which was one of the main reasons for the ID thing. Was practically in a trance after that first night, the other two evenings it was less busy fortunately.

But we meet at last... <insert evil bond villain laugh>

anyhow... revision, sorry learning needs to be done. Empor!

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)

Did you not know who I was before then then? I read in the "about" forum that you thought I was my college sister, which quite obviously I'm not. I mean, my Clareifornication count is still minuscule compared with hers!

And so will you be. But seriously, for those fortunate enough, there is ample time and opportunity for relationship stuff whilst here.

ReputationRep:
    Did you not know who I was before then then? I read in the "about" forum that you thought I was my college sister, which quite obviously I'm not. I mean, my Clareifornication count is still minuscule compared with hers!
    She is also called Helen isn't she? I think I just inferred incorrectly, but I knew it was only a guess so I didn't take it to seriously.
    ...and no I didn't know before.

Right sleep time now I've done some revision, picking my room in the morning (yay)! St. Andrews/Giles here I come.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    She is also called Helen isn't she? I think I just inferred incorrectly, but I knew it was only a guess so I didn't take it to seriously.
    ...and no I didn't know before.

Right sleep time now I've done some revision, picking my room in the morning (yay)! St. Andrews/Giles here I come.
    No - my sister is not called Helen.

Good luck with the room ballot tomorrow! I haven't got mine till Friday, fingers crossed for Castle House...and I'm off to bed too, before steeplechase in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    It was pretty crazy, we processed 380 tickets or so in an hour and a half that night, was non-stop! I was just generally there to makesure the systems worked because another (compsci) mate is tickets and security and I wrote the script that did the adding of barcodes to the system and checking on people's purchasing status. I'll likely be around looking after them while everyone is entering the ball too, then I get to go in and enjoy the rest of it.
    The most difficult thing was trying to spell people's surnames properly, which was one of the main reasons for the ID thing. Was practically in a trance after that first night, the other two evenings it was less busy fortunately.

Alaric.
    :mad: :mad: :mad: This is just not the romantic encounter I had imagined :mad: :mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    :mad: :mad: :mad: This is just not the romantic encounter I had imagined :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Sorry to disappoint Make up your own if you like, just keep it to yourself

ReputationRep:
    The above runs through my mind too often

Helen, who writes Clareifornication these days?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliette)
    The above runs through my mind too often

Helen, who writes Clareifornication these days?
    Nobody knows...well, the editor does, and a few others. I don't have a clue, though I know one of the people who wrote it last year. Did you used to be at Clare then or something?

ReputationRep:
    No, but i vaguely knew a girl who was writing it last year. So glad it isn't normal for colleges to print columns like that!!! General gossip's enough to deal with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliette)
    No, but i vaguely knew a girl who was writing it last year. So glad it isn't normal for colleges to print columns like that!!! General gossip's enough to deal with
    No other colleges have a gossip rag as quick and vicious as that? *is feeling slightly offended by them at the moment* However, it can be quite funny, though the whole pulling league concept scares me.

ReputationRep:
    lol, im used to the gossip going round after a 6th form party so i dont reckon it would be too much of a problem. no1s going to disown u over things lol

ReputationRep:
    lol, im used to the gossip going round after a 6th form party so i dont reckon it would be too much of a problem. no1s going to disown u over things lol
    No, this is true. Gossip at my school was much nastier, as the fabricated bits involved would get a lot worse as they went along. Clareifornication is fairly light-hearted and never spreads any malicious stuff (I don't think), they're just not always too complimentary :mad:

ReputationRep:
    No, this is true. Gossip at my school was much nastier, as the fabricated bits involved would get a lot worse as they went along. Clareifornication is fairly light-hearted and never spreads any malicious stuff (I don't think), they're just not always too complimentary :mad:
    our college gossip rag is checked by Welfare first i think..& people can get stuff taken out if they're really bothered..but it's just fun really.

although some of the out of context quotes are normally disturbing!

ReputationRep:
    Ours is most definitely not checked, but there's not really anything damaging in there most of the time I don't think. Think you should be able to look at it here though you will need Acrobat to read the actual mag. Most of it won't make sense if you're not at Clare though.

ReputationRep:
    So several things to say. The first is, to Joey_Johns, where's the recording of 'Domine' from? It's beautiful, I've heard it sung by my school chapel choir, but only once. The words are indistinct, I can make out the 'domine' at the start and something possibly about saving. It's irritating to say the least, attempting to practise AS Latin on a song you can't hear!

To revert to the lowbrow 'sex is better with virginial boarding school girls' - How so? I can understand the herpes/she can't understand that you're completely shite angle, but why is this a good thing? Don't you bugger the two of you up sex-wise, then? Although my school is only partially boarding, I find that at private school, (comparing to the Catholic school down the road, and the state school up the road, we're well covered in this area) there's a greater set of ingenues, much more experienced in matters sexual. A friend of mine regaled us with tales just after she turned fourteen. In fact, predominantly, my year group has moved on from the general 'sex is fun! yay!' mentality, and is far more focused on relationships.

And the girls' high school twenty minutes away - they're hardly virginial. They screw all the nastier specimens around our school as they have no real taste.

And for the church topic, to prove that I'm not just interested in the thread for the catchy title, :rolleyes: I find the older, possibly more pretentious services to be that much more beautiful. When the litany is sung, and Latin is used, and the traditional Lord's Prayer, 'forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation', it gives me that much more of a thrill of being sheltered by the ancient tradition of the church.

And being a stereotypical 'stiff upper lip, no touching unless absolutely necessary' English bod, I loathe the 'peace be with you' shaking hands, and hugging that goes on ecstatically at services these days. I get up and walk out.

So for all the pretentions and hypocracies of the old church, it's still quite beautiful, flawed or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilde_Oscar)
    So several things to say. The first is, to Joey_Johns, where's the recording of 'Domine' from? It's beautiful, I've heard it sung by my school chapel choir, but only once. The words are indistinct, I can make out the 'domine' at the start and something possibly about saving. It's irritating to say the least, attempting to practise AS Latin on a song you can't hear!

To revert to the lowbrow 'sex is better with virginial boarding school girls' - How so? I can understand the herpes/she can't understand that you're completely shite angle, but why is this a good thing? Don't you bugger the two of you up sex-wise, then? Although my school is only partially boarding, I find that at private school, (comparing to the Catholic school down the road, and the state school up the road, we're well covered in this area) there's a greater set of ingenues, much more experienced in matters sexual. A friend of mine regaled us with tales just after she turned fourteen. In fact, predominantly, my year group has moved on from the general 'sex is fun! yay!' mentality, and is far more focused on relationships.

And the girls' high school twenty minutes away - they're hardly virginial. They screw all the nastier specimens around our school as they have no real taste.

And for the church topic, to prove that I'm not just interested in the thread for the catchy title, :rolleyes: I find the older, possibly more pretentious services to be that much more beautiful. When the litany is sung, and Latin is used, and the traditional Lord's Prayer, 'forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation', it gives me that much more of a thrill of being sheltered by the ancient tradition of the church.

And being a stereotypical 'stiff upper lip, no touching unless absolutely necessary' English bod, I loathe the 'peace be with you' shaking hands, and hugging that goes on ecstatically at services these days. I get up and walk out.

So for all the pretentions and hypocracies of the old church, it's still quite beautiful, flawed or not.
    Domine salvum fac regem
    et exaudi nos in die qua invocaverimus te
    Gloria Patri et Filio
    et Spiritui Sancto
    Sicut erat in principio
    et nunc et semper et in saecula saeculorum
    amen.

First latin I learnt. Can't be bothered listning to it again, but some of the words might have been modified by the Jay's.

If you like that buy one of these:

http://www.ampleforthcollege.york.sc.../sound/cds.htm

The monks are rather more honed at Ampleforth, and the choir is one of the best in the country.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.