Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Veni Emanuel is a firm fav of mine, have fun translating, it should be easy for the AS latin pupil:

Veni, veni Emanuel!
    Captivum solve Israel!
    Qui gemit in exilio,
    Privatus Dei Filio.

Gaude, gaude, Emanuel
    Nascetur pro te, Israel.

Veni, veni o oriens!
    Solare nos adveniens,
    Noctis depelle nebulas,
    Dirasque noctis tenebras.

Veni, veni Adonai!
    Qui populo in Sinai
    Legem dedisti vertice,
    In Maiestate gloriae.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Veni Emanuel is a firm fav of mine, have fun translating, it should be easy for the AS latin pupil:
    Allegri's 'Miserere Mei' is hard to beat - however trite it is to say it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    Allegri's 'Misere Mei' is hard to beat - however trite it is to say it.
    Indeed, good choral techniques involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)

Veni, veni Emanuel!
    Captivum solve Israel!
    Qui gemit in exilio,
    Privatus Dei Filio.

Gaude, gaude, Emanuel
    Nascetur pro te, Israel.

Veni, veni o oriens!
    Solare nos adveniens,
    Noctis depelle nebulas,
    Dirasque noctis tenebras.

Veni, veni Adonai!
    Qui populo in Sinai
    Legem dedisti vertice,
    In Maiestate gloriae.
    Oh come, oh come emanuel. Release thy captive Israel...

I was in the chapel choir briefly. This is one of our favourites. Faaar too easy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilde_Oscar)
    And the girls' high school twenty minutes away - they're hardly virginial. They screw all the nastier specimens around our school as they have no real taste.
    Or perhaps you are just spotty, ugly and just generally undesirable to young ladies?

.............................So for all the pretentions and hypocracies of the old church, it's still quite beautiful, flawed or not.
    Indeed the Church is aestheticly pleasing, but sufficiently beautiful to justify the 'pretentions' and 'hypocracies'? I don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MentallyIll)
    Or perhaps you are just spotty, ugly and just generally undesirable to young ladies?

Indeed the Church is aestheticly pleasing, but sufficiently beautiful to justify the 'pretentions' and 'hypocracies'? I don't think so.
    Okay, as per the first, my name on here is a reference to my favourite author of the nineteenth century, trite as 'Importance' is, it's still amusing and witty. Anyway - the actual point is, I'm female. And not that way inclined, so I'm not particularly bothered if I'm undesirable to young ladies. Additionally, not spotty. Good genetics.

As per the second, I think it's a matter of enjoyment of the service, and disregarding the politics of the church on the whole. The purity of our choir's voices, on a sunny morning at Matins, when very few attend the service is incredibly intense, the Latin sung is pleasing to the ear, and I like the reverence and weight of the service, knowing that it's been listened to for hundreds of years. Yes, I could debate that the Latin I enjoy meant the service was unintelligible pre-English Bible, that the Church makes numerous errors, and is heavy-handed, but I prefer not to think of that at this moment in time. The problems with the church can far outweigh the good, but, as I was trying to say, it can *still* be beautiful - I personally meant to the ear, not aesthetically, but either way.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, as per the first, my name on here is a reference to my favourite author of the nineteenth century, trite as 'Importance' is, it's still amusing and witty. Anyway - the actual point is, I'm female. And not that way inclined, so I'm not particularly bothered if I'm undesirable to young ladies. Additionally, not spotty. Good genetics.

As per the second, I think it's a matter of enjoyment of the service, and disregarding the politics of the church on the whole. The purity of our choir's voices, on a sunny morning at Matins, when very few attend the service is incredibly intense, the Latin sung is pleasing to the ear, and I like the reverence and weight of the service, knowing that it's been listened to for hundreds of years. Yes, I could debate that the Latin I enjoy meant the service was unintelligible pre-English Bible, that the Church makes numerous errors, and is heavy-handed, but I prefer not to think of that at this moment in time. The problems with the church can far outweigh the good, but, as I was trying to say, it can *still* be beautiful - I personally meant to the ear, not aesthetically, but either way.
    Ok, I am convinced on both points

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MentallyIll)
    Ok, I am convinced on both points
    Gratified to know that I managed to persuade you. It is possible that going to the school I do, I have become indoctrinated with an enjoyment of tradition, and classical study - I'm taking Latin and Classics, so it's partly necessary to enjoy. I think if I didn't understand a church service in Latin, though, I'd still enjoy it. However- as when the person taking Latin grace at my house's dinner mispronounced everything horrendously, it becomes slightly less appealing to understand grace/hymns/services.

ReputationRep:
    Gratified to know that I managed to persuade you. It is possible that going to the school I do, I have become indoctrinated with an enjoyment of tradition, and classical study - I'm taking Latin and Classics, so it's partly necessary to enjoy. I think if I didn't understand a church service in Latin, though, I'd still enjoy it. However- as when the person taking Latin grace at my house's dinner mispronounced everything horrendously, it becomes slightly less appealing to understand grace/hymns/services.

Indeed. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    However- as when the person taking Latin grace at my house's dinner mispronounced everything horrendously, it becomes slightly less appealing to understand grace/hymns/services.
    A good reason to stick to Benedictus benedicat. Almost impossible to mispronounce.

ReputationRep:
    This was a French teacher, attempting an Italian accent, with hard 'v' sounds, without ellision, and getting stuck in the middle of a sentence. I cringed, all the way through. The cute guy next to me thought I was in pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    A good reason to stick to Benedictus benedicat. Almost impossible to mispronounce.
    I've mispronounced it on several occasions. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    my mate lives in cambs and seems to have had most of the uni (son't know which one...) football team including reserves and captains of most sports clubs.... hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucykins)
    my mate lives in cambs and seems to have had most of the uni (son't know which one...) football team including reserves and captains of most sports clubs.... hehe
    There is a slight difference between Cambridge sports teams and APU :confused: Football isn't important at Cambridge really. The first VIII, on the other hand

ReputationRep:
    must have been APU then so whats this about the first V111 eh??

ReputationRep:
    must have been APU then so whats this about the first V111 eh??
    I don't really know - it could have been Cambridge, but our football team isn't that prestigious. The comment about the first VIII is merely because rowing is much more high-profile, so someone sleeping with them would be more of a notorious "achievement" than the footie team. I'm not talking about myself! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I don't really know - it could have been Cambridge, but our football team isn't that prestigious. The comment about the first VIII is merely because rowing is much more high-profile, so someone sleeping with them would be more of a notorious "achievement" than the footie team. I'm not talking about myself! :eek:
    Eeeugh - rowers' rooms stink - tons of crusty kit everywhere!!!

ReputationRep:
    must have been APU then :P as much as i love her, the only word that poss describes her is "bicycle" as for rowers..... i was a rower once in my youth *sigh* (ok like last year :P) and the men stink..but there is something rather nice about watching these large muscly guys in their little suits on the rowing machines *swoon*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliette)
    Eeeugh - rowers' rooms stink - tons of crusty kit everywhere!!!
    I knowwwww - I've been in a prime example and it was not a pretty sight. Am living with said individual next year :eek: Some aren't so bad though *sigh*

Lucykins - erging is one thing; seeing them out on the river when it's a gorgeous day and everything is lovely is another Not all of them though :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    ... rowing machines
    You mean ergometer... :rolleyes:

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.