einna3494
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm a student in the US planning on studying abroad for the spring semester in Wales. I'm having a hard time choosing between Cardiff and Swansea University and I was wondering if anyone had advice or pros and cons on one vs the other. I am a junior studying engineering. I'm looking for a school that has a good night life, beautiful campus, and a town/city with good food/things to do, etc. Can someone tell me the overall atmosphere between the two universities?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks so much!

-A
TheNote
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd have to say both cities will have good night life and food as well as things to do, they are cities after all. Swansea has the better campus in terms of beauty since Cardiff is a city university while swansea university is bassically by the sea.

You seem to be interested in everything other than the course you will be doing which will be taking up the majority of your time there, maybe you should be concetrating more ont he course you want rather than the location, the location normally doesn't mean **** all, in the end you will make friends, meet new people and enjoy your time there. You should choose a university for it's course and reputation and not for it's surroundings. People who choose a course for their surrounding are normally people who don't actually care about their degree.
Mojojojo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know Swansea is meant to be really good for engineering, but I have a friend who absolutely hated the place and left because of it at the end of the year to restart at another university. I'm going to Cardiff and it worried me with how much she detested it, but she told me that Cardiff is absolutely fine and just never to go anywhere apart from it! I've visited Swansea and thought it looked fine, but I suppose it's different living there, and she got really bad flatmates so that probably skewed her opinion on the place.
einna3494
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheNote)
I'd have to say both cities will have good night life and food as well as things to do, they are cities after all. Swansea has the better campus in terms of beauty since Cardiff is a city university while swansea university is bassically by the sea.

You seem to be interested in everything other than the course you will be doing which will be taking up the majority of your time there, maybe you should be concetrating more ont he course you want rather than the location, the location normally doesn't mean **** all, in the end you will make friends, meet new people and enjoy your time there. You should choose a university for it's course and reputation and not for it's surroundings. People who choose a course for their surrounding are normally people who don't actually care about their degree.
Although grades and academics are a high priority to me, (If I wanted to slack in school I wouldn't be studying to become an engineer) these are really the only topics covered while trying to obtain information about study abroad universities through my university here in the US. They only tell you about the facts and statistics, which is helpful and great, but doesn't let me know about the social side of going abroad. If I'm going to leave my country for six months, I want to make sure I pick a school where I can get the most out of my experience, which is why I'm asking for advice from people who actually know the area. I want to make sure I have a good social aspect from the university I choose because I could get just as quality of an education here in the states. Thanks for you concern though. I'll try to not let people such as yourself shine a negative light on my study abroad experience.
einna3494
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mojojojo)
I know Swansea is meant to be really good for engineering, but I have a friend who absolutely hated the place and left because of it at the end of the year to restart at another university. I'm going to Cardiff and it worried me with how much she detested it, but she told me that Cardiff is absolutely fine and just never to go anywhere apart from it! I've visited Swansea and thought it looked fine, but I suppose it's different living there, and she got really bad flatmates so that probably skewed her opinion on the place.
Yes I've heard its a great engineering school, which is nice to hear. Horrible roommates can ruin any experience, hopefully that was why she didn't like it there! I loved the pictures of Cardiff and the city atmosphere that it has, but I also like the idea of being close to the ocean. I'm land locked in Iowa so living by any body of water seems like a nice change Thanks for your input!
fursey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You might find this helpful, it came out earlier today!

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29174074

Posted from TSR Mobile
bmc
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No argument, Cardiff's a great place, but Swansea has a few things going for it too:

Top class College of Engineering
What Uni "University of the Year"(WhatUni.com)
Top 10 for the Student Experience in UK (Lloyds Bank)
Top 20 for Student Satisfaction (National Student Satisfaction Survey)
Top 20 for graduate employability (Times/ Sunday Times)
Shortlisted for University of the Year 2014 (Times Higher Education - the UK universities' trade journal)
Engineering to be located in state of the art £450 new campus September 2015 ( located on the beach)
Premiership football (soccer) a short bus ride from the university
Award winning (Best in Europe / Top 10 in world) beaches a few miles west of the university
Surfing beaches begin a few minutes drive away
Some of the best ice cream you'll ever eat
Friendly locals

Thinking about the atmosphere/environment is quite right. Even the most academic and scholarly student only spends a certain amount of time in labs, going to classes and writing assignments; the rest of your time, you're living in a particular city/town etc. and it's important to choose a place that will suit you as a person ( this said from the perspective of someone who's spent a fair bit of their career ( I am very old) advising and guiding people who chose the wrong place to study at first time round)

Good luck with the decision making!
Mojojojo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by einna3494)
Yes I've heard its a great engineering school, which is nice to hear. Horrible roommates can ruin any experience, hopefully that was why she didn't like it there! I loved the pictures of Cardiff and the city atmosphere that it has, but I also like the idea of being close to the ocean. I'm land locked in Iowa so living by any body of water seems like a nice change Thanks for your input!
Cardiff has the bay area if that's anything? It's not too hard to get to but the beach in Swansea would be closer if you lived in Swasnea, Just bear in mind that it won't really be hot enough for the beach most of the time!
gingerlucy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm from Wales and live by Cardiff. I have been to a Cardiff open day and loved it! It's in the Russell group so it's well respected and the night life is great!
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I live in Cardiff so I'll obviously be choosing Cardiff over Swansea in this decision :lol:

Nightlife yeah
Beauty... Well yeah there are really nice places, and can always have a visit up somewhere like Swansea one day
Foods good

So I'd choose the Capital city
Gales
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would always go for Cardiff. I'm from the area, in fact I was born in Swansea. I know both cities pretty well but Cardiff blows Swansea out of the water in almost all areas. The nightlife is better, more cultural things on offer, the city itself is architecturally more aesthetically pleasing and it over all has a nicer vibe.

Swansea is a nice place, I personally hate the city centre as I don't find it at all pleasant. At best I would say walking through the city centre is a reasonably dull experience. Boarded up shops, drug-takers and elderly people is what I always come across whenever I go. The natural beauty around Swansea is a lot better than that around Cardiff though. If you're into the outdoors the uni is right by the beach, there is easy access to the Gower peninsular which is one of the most beautiful areas in the whole of the British isles and you have access to Mumbles, which is a small, lovely little seaside village (and others such as Tenby in Pembrokeshire aren't too far away). Despite this you always have Penarth near Cardiff if you want to go to the beach.

As a foreigner, I would recommend not going to Swansea. As a local it is a city I tend to avoid. Cardiff is a safer bet.
Gales
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by einna3494)
If you're concerned about being near the ocean, Cardiff is also by the sea. It doesn't have a beach, although it does have a bay and there are beautiful beaches nearby in the Vale of Glamorgan and Bridgend CBC.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (359)
45.39%
No (84)
10.62%
I'm not old enough (348)
43.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed