~amethyst~
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello,

i was wondering whether universties would still consider me and allow me to do mpharm if i had to retake a couple of units from AS exams to get A grades for A-level. I'm not talking about retaking a year, just a couple of exams which i got a B in.

I wanted to apply cardiff, warwick, bath, reading, ucl, portsmouth.

Which unis are top for pharmacy and would you recommend? I want to go to one where i can get a job straight away, and also offers placements
awesomearps
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ~amethyst~)
Hello,

i was wondering whether universties would still consider me and allow me to do mpharm if i had to retake a couple of units from AS exams to get A grades for A-level. I'm not talking about retaking a year, just a couple of exams which i got a B in.

I wanted to apply cardiff, warwick, bath, reading, ucl, portsmouth.

Which unis are top for pharmacy and would you recommend? I want to go to one where i can get a job straight away, and also offers placements
Yes uni do accept people who resat AS exams...I personally resat 3 and I still got in. I also know plenty of other people who did the same so don't worry about that!
Well the top uni for pharmacy according to uni league tables is Nottingham...I personally applied to Aston, de montfort, Liverpool john Moores, reading and Wolverhampton and I got an offer from all five...you'll just have to ring up unis and do your research!
If you have any other questions then just quote me! I'll be happy to help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Itsmonique
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by awesomearps)
Yes uni do accept people who resat AS exams...I personally resat 3 and I still got in. I also know plenty of other people who did the same so don't worry about that!
Well the top uni for pharmacy according to uni league tables is Nottingham...I personally applied to Aston, de montfort, Liverpool john Moores, reading and Wolverhampton and I got an offer from all five...you'll just have to ring up unis and do your research!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know that some uni's ask for a B in gcse English, but I got a C. Will I still be able to get offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
awesomearps
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Itsmonique)
I know that some uni's ask for a B in gcse English, but I got a C. Will I still be able to get offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aah which English did you get a C in...literature or language? Tbh I think you'd have to look at the entry requirements and ring up the unis cos I'm not too sure and some unis may let you in if you did really well in other gcses..but don't take my word for it the best thing to do would be to ring up the unis and explain your situation...most of them are very helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
h.os
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I retook my AS levels (The whole year) and applied for Bath, Cardiff, UCL, Reading, Portsmouth for pharmacy. I received offers from all the uni's and they were the same offers that were being offered to people that didn't retake. I firmed bath and insured Portsmouth.

I got AAC at AS after retaking and ABC at A2. (A in economics, B in maths, C in chemistry).

My bath offer was AAB and my Portsmouth offer was 320 UCAS points (so basically ABB).

Evidently I didn't get the grades they wanted but they still let me in. I'm guessing it's because my personal statement was good. I'm going to start my first year of pharmacy at Bath in a week or 2
~amethyst~
Rep:
?
(Original post by h.os)
I retook my AS levels (The whole year) and applied for Bath, Cardiff, UCL, Reading, Portsmouth for pharmacy. I received offers from all the uni's and they were the same offers that were being offered to people that didn't retake. I firmed bath and insured Portsmouth.

I got AAC at AS after retaking and ABC at A2. (A in economics, B in maths, C in chemistry).

My bath offer was AAB and my Portsmouth offer was 320 UCAS points (so basically ABB).

Evidently I didn't get the grades they wanted but they still let me in. I'm guessing it's because my personal statement was good. I'm going to start my first year of pharmacy at Bath in a week or 2
Ah thats a relief, and thats so lucky for you! I really want to get into Bath so i hope i can get the grades. What was your personal statement like? I'm having trouble starting and ending mine, i'm scared they won't interview me if it isn't at a high standard. Also how were the interviews at bath?
~amethyst~
Rep:
?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks for your reply which uni did you pick at the end? Are you happy with your choice?
h.os
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah thats a relief, and thats so lucky for you! I really want to get into Bath so i hope i can get the grades. What was your personal statement like? I'm having trouble starting and ending mine, i'm scared they won't interview me if it isn't at a high standard. Also how were the interviews at bath?
I put a lot of time into my personal statement so it was pretty good

The interviews for pharmacy depends on the uni. For UCL and Portsmouth I received an offer without an interview. For the other 3 I had to do an interview though. The thing with bath is that if you get called to an interview you've basically already got the offer. Like 95% of the people that interview are given an offer so you don't need to stress over the interview at all
~amethyst~
Rep:
?
(Original post by h.os)
I put a lot of time into my personal statement so it was pretty good

The interviews for pharmacy depends on the uni. For UCL and Portsmouth I received an offer without an interview. For the other 3 I had to do an interview though. The thing with bath is that if you get called to an interview you've basically already got the offer. Like 95% of the people that interview are given an offer so you don't need to stress over the interview at all

Do you still have your personal statement? Would you mind pm me it since i have no clue what to do? I'm not going to copy anything obviously since UCAS can find out and it's cheating, but i just wanted an idea of what they are looking for. Also did you have any work experience? Oh okay, is portsmouth a good uni for mpharm? Also do you know what Cardiff is like?
h.os
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you still have your personal statement? Would you mind pm me it since i have no clue what to do? I'm not going to copy anything obviously since UCAS can find out and it's cheating, but i just wanted an idea of what they are looking for. Also did you have any work experience? Oh okay, is portsmouth a good uni for mpharm? Also do you know what Cardiff is like?
I'll have a look to see if I can find my PS. Yeah I did have work experience. 1 in a hospital (not related to pharmacy directly but it was a good way to show that I was able to communicate well with patients) and also in 2 other pharmacies. I'm from London so it was pretty easy for me to find work exp. since there was just so many opportunities available.

I dunno if portsmouths good for MPharm, I only picked it cos most of my closest friends were going there and I'd rather go somewhere where I know I'm gonna have a good time.

I went to Cardiff for the interview but I stayed over the night before cos the interview was really early the next morning. I was with a friend so we decided to go clubbing LOL (probably not the best idea when you have an interview the next day). Luckily the interviewer was really nice so the interview went well even though I had a diiirttyyy hangover. The uni's close to the main town part of Cardiff, so it was actually pretty good. There's a few clubs around, and a huge shopping centre. It's not as good as London obviously but it's not too bad at all.
Itsmonique
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aah which English did you get a C in...literature or language? Tbh I think you'd have to look at the entry requirements and ring up the unis cos I'm not too sure and some unis may let you in if you did really well in other gcses..but don't take my word for it the best thing to do would be to ring up the unis and explain your situation...most of them are very helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
C in English Lang and B in English lit. I went to the open day at Nottingham uni and spoke to the head of school for pharmacy and said that I should consider retaking English Lang to get it to a B or higher as that is the minimum requirement, but my school now does the Cambridge IGCSE English qualification so I'm not sure what to do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
awesomearps
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Okay thanks for your reply which uni did you pick at the end? Are you happy with your choice?
I got into Aston (my firm choice) and i'm very excited about going there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
awesomearps
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Itsmonique)
C in English Lang and B in English lit. I went to the open day at Nottingham uni and spoke to the head of school for pharmacy and said that I should consider retaking English Lang to get it to a B or higher as that is the minimum requirement, but my school now does the Cambridge IGCSE English qualification so I'm not sure what to do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aah I see your problem...have you tried explaining your situation to your teachers??? If not then maybe go and redo it at a different school else?? I can't really help you much on this...sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Actuponit
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey guys I really want to study pharmacy at uni but I didn't do chemistry in year 12. I'm in year 13 now and considering to carry on with sociology which i got A in and biology which I got B in and do both as and a2 chemistry exams in the summer. However firstly I do not know if this is doable as it will be very difficult and secondly do you think unis will hesitate to give me an offer as I haven't sat my AS exams yet. My first choice is Aston and second is Birmingham. I really don't want to stay another year or do a foundation year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.23%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.35%
Not great so far... (251)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.66%

Watched Threads