Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Statement from the Department for Transport
Statement from the Department for Transport
Designs for Metric and Improved Signage

1: Supplementary Plates
Supplementary distance plates These show the distance to something. Metres are to be used up to 3000 m and kilometres from there on. The use of the SI symbols "m" and "km" are language-independent and thus eliminate the need for a Welsh translation in Wales.
Supplementary duration plates These show for how far something lasts. Note the condensed font which will be an option to save space.

2: Direction Signs
Advance direction sign This shows the distance to destinations along various roads at an upcoming junction. Note that the "km" legend will be placed above the numbers where there are multiple lines of text.

Direction sign This is placed at the junction itself. The "km" legend is above the numbers where there are multiple lines of text or alongside where there is only one. Note that distances less than 1 km will use metres, and distances up to 5 km may use .5s of a kilometre.

Advance direction sign (grade separated junction) type 1 This is used when the junction is more than 1 km away.

Advance direction sign (grade separated junction) type 2 This is used when the junction is less than 1 km away. Note the new symbol for a motorway junction.

Advance gantry sign This is used up to 2 km from the junction.

Gantry sign This is used at the exit, with the arrows representing lanes.

Motorway interchange sign This is used before a junction with another motorway. Again note the new symbol.

3: Route Confirmation Signs
Route confirmation sign To be used after a junction. Note the inclusion of the Euroroutes E30 and E03.

4: Expressways
Start and end of expressway regulations These are used to mark the start and end of expressway regulations (the same as motorway regulations with the exception of allowing learner-drivers) on A-roads built to motorway or near-motorway standard.

Start of expressway regulations with road number This is to be used when joining the expressway from another road.

Advance warning of expressway regulations This is to be used in advance of the start of the expressway to allow prohibited traffic to find an alternative route.

5: Services
Advance signage for services This is to be used when further than 3 km from the services.

Advanced signage for services with next services This shows the next services along the current route and connecting routes.

Final sign for services with next services This is the final sign before the services with the distance to the next services.

6: Restrictions
Height restriction This is to be used at the hazard.

Image Image
Advanced warning of height restriction This is to be used before the hazard, possibly with a supplementary distance plate.

Width restriction This is to be used at the hazard or with a supplementary distance plate before the hazard.

Length restriction This is to be used at the hazard or with a supplementary distance plate before the hazard.

Weight restriction This is to be used at the hazard or with a supplementary distance plate before the hazard. Note the use of the lower-case "t" - the correct symbol for tonnes.

Image Image
Examples of restrictions on direction signs

7: Road Works
Advance warning of lane drop Note the curved arrow used to show lanes merging.

Advance warning of lane drop and width restriction The potentially confusing "ANY VEH" is removed and the restriction put on rather than ahead of the arrow.

Weight restriction in outside lane
This uses the new language-independent supplementary notation.

8: Speed Limits
Speed limit signs Note the use of the "km/h" legend and the condensed font.

Speed limit ends This replaces the current national speed limit sign and signals a return to the national speed limit.

Minimum speed limit starts and ends

Advisory speed limit starts and ends This is for use with hazards and now includes clarification on the end of the hazard.

Urban area starts and ends This signals the start and end of the 50 km/h urban speed limit and gives the name of the settlement. The end sign signals a return to the national speed limit.

Reduced speed limit zones These are for use within urban areas. 30 km/h will be the standard for primary schools and 40 km/h for secondary schools.

End of reduced speed limit zone This signals a return to the 50 km/h urban limit.

Road markings 50 km/h road markings will appear at the start of every urban area.

9: Time
Parking restriction The 24-hour clock will become standard.

Parking restriction

miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Great work on the signs! :yy:
talentedlobster
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wooo, let's just use another set of arbitrary values, that still have just as many flaws as the previous system and spend money on it. Srsly, if you really want to reform to better units then we need to measure in units that mean something, like light-years, but as people are opposed to seeing signs which have x10 to the minus whatever on I say leave it alone.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by talentedlobster)
Wooo, let's just use another set of arbitrary values, that still have just as many flaws as the previous system and spend money on it. Srsly, if you really want to reform to better units then we need to measure in units that mean something, like light-years, but as people are opposed to seeing signs which have x10 to the minus whatever on I say leave it alone.
Why are light-years so much more meaningful than metres?
Birchington
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No-one from the government has answered my questions on the costs of implementing this.

For that reason, it's a no.
talentedlobster
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by O133)
Why are light-years so much more meaningful than metres?
Light years are more meaningful because they actually are based on something that can be measured rather than having a length of metal in a science lab behind bars which is exactly 1 metre (until the metal erodes), but that comes at the price of really really small numbers.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by talentedlobster)
Light years are more meaningful because they actually are based on something that can be measured rather than having a length of metal in a science lab behind bars which is exactly 1 metre (until the metal erodes), but that comes at the price of really really small numbers.
The metre is now defined as "the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299,792,458 of a second", it's only the kilogram that still uses a piece of metal in a lab.

(Original post by Birchington)
No-one from the government has answered my questions on the costs of implementing this.

For that reason, it's a no.
Not a huge amount of money as it will all be done as part of the natural life-cycle of the signs. Speed limit signs are the exception, although I did do an estimate for the cost of that during the metrication debate and I'm not going to do it again.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by O133)
The metre is now defined as "the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299,792,458 of a second", it's only the kilogram that still uses a piece of metal in a lab.
Hurrah for physics!
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As this was non-binding i abstained but i'm really not sure of the need for this even though i commend the work.
Faland
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
The Ayes to the right: 20
The Noes to the left: 11
Abstentions: 7

The Ayes have it, the Ayes have it! Unlock!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.36%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.87%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.01%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.53%

Watched Threads