The Student Room Group

Help with Edexcel FP2 Second Order Differential Equation substitution question

Use the substitution z = sinx to transform the differential equation

cosx(d^2y/dx^2) + sinx(dy/dx) - 2ycos^3x = 2cosx^5x

into the equation (d^2y/dz^2) - 2y = 2(1 - z^2)

This isn't really about how to do such a question in general, more a probably embarrassing gap in my understanding of differentiation.

So I realise that all terms in x must be transformed. Focusing first on the non-differential ones

sinx is easy enough, sinx = z.
cosx is (1-z^2)^(1/2)
It follows that cos^3x and cos^5x are (1 - z^2)^(3/2) and (1 - z^2)^(5/2) respectively.

dy/dx will = dy/dz * dz/dx. But we have z as a function of x, z = sinx and so dz/dx = cosx = (1 - z^2)^(1/2)

Therefore dy/dx = dy/dz(1 - z^2)^(1/2).

But now the problem comes with d^2y/dx^2.
How do I differentiate dy/dz with respect to x? dy/(dzdx) doesn't really seem to get me anywhere if that's the technical representation..
So I tried d^2y/dx^2 = (d^2y/dz^2)(dz^2/dx^2), but knowing that the relationship dy/dx = dy/du * du/dx is a consequence of the chain rule, rather than anything to do with fractions or the like, I doubt/don't know whether this extends to the second order differentials. After working through the consequences of said assumption (namely, d^2y/dx^2 = -sinx(d^2y/dz^2)), the needed equation did not drop out.

So yeah, assuming that that is incorrect - if not, then I guess I must have gone wrong afterwards, and if so that can probably be corrected by more thorough working, so please tell me if that's the case - how else could I get d^2y/dx^2 into terms of just y and z? And even if it isn't the best way to do it, how exactly would you differentiate (dy/dz) with respect to x?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42

into the equation (d^2y/dx^2) - 2y = 2(1 - z^2)

This isn't really about how to do such a question in general, more a probably embarrassing gap in my understanding of differentiation.

So I realise that all terms in x must be transformed. Focusing first on the non-differential ones

cosx is (1-z^2)^(1/2)
It follows that cos^3x and cos^5x are (1 - z^2)^(3/2) and (1 - z^2)^(5/2) respectively.

dy/dx will = dy/dz * dz/dx. But we have z as a function of x, z = sinx and so dz/dx = cosx = (1 - z^2)^(1/2)

How do I differentiate dy/dz with respect to x? dy/(dzdx) doesn't really seem to get me anywhere if that's the technical representation..

USe the chain rule

d2ydx2=dydx=ddx(dydz1z2)=\displaystyle \frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=\frac{dy'}{dx}=\frac{d}{dx}\left (\frac{dy}{dz}\cdot \sqrt{1-z^2}\right ) =

=d2ydz2dzdx1z2z1z2dzdx\displaystyle =\frac{d^2y}{dz^2}\cdot \frac{dz}{dx}\cdot \sqrt{1-z^2} -\frac{z}{ \sqrt{1-z^2}}\cdot \frac{dz}{dx}
Reply 2

cosx is (1-z^2)^(1/2)

So I tried d^2y/dx^2 = (d^2y/dz^2)(dz^2/dx^2), but knowing that the relationship dy/dx = dy/du * du/dx is a consequence of the chain rule, rather than anything to do with fractions or the like, I doubt/don't know whether this extends to the second order differentials. After working through the consequences of said assumption (namely, d^2y/dx^2 = -sinx(d^2y/dz^2)), the needed equation did not drop out.

So yeah, assuming that that is incorrect - if not, then I guess I must have gone wrong afterwards, and if so that can probably be corrected by more thorough working, so please tell me if that's the case - how else could I get d^2y/dx^2 into terms of just y and z? And even if it isn't the best way to do it, how exactly would you differentiate (dy/dz) with respect to x?

The bold bit certainly isn't true.

You basically want to be using dw/dx = dw/dz * dz/dx which is true for any function w - in particular w can be dy/dx which you should already have worked out in terms of z.

cosx is (1-z^2)^(1/2)

Did you manage to sort this out in the end?
Reply 4
Original post by KeithHayward
Did you manage to sort this out in the end?

5 months later !!! ...

(the thought matters)
Original post by TeeEm
5 months later !!! ...

(the thought matters)

Lol a bit late :wink: Only asking because i'm doing this question as we spk and I cant get it to fall out?
Reply 6
Lol a bit late :wink: Only asking because i'm doing this question as we spk and I cant get it to fall out?

no worries
:smile:
Original post by TeeEm
no worries

Any hints then?
Reply 8
Any hints then?

once the MOTD is over

(spurs supporter here)
Original post by TeeEm
no worries

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1423348854.778926.jpg

I'm not aloud to do the very last part am I? The dsquaredy/dzsquared ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm
once the MOTD is over

(spurs supporter here)

Haha fair enough haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1423348854.778926.jpg

I'm not aloud to do the very last part am I? The dsquaredy/dzsquared ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1423349393.266397.jpg

Keep getting this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1423349393.266397.jpg

Keep getting this

Posted from TSR Mobile

your differentiation is wrong

has your teacher covered this type of differentiation/
Original post by TeeEm
your differentiation is wrong

has your teacher covered this type of differentiation/

It's just the chain rule, which part is wrong?
Reply 14
It's just the chain rule, which part is wrong?

the second derivative differentiation
Original post by TeeEm
the second derivative differentiation

How do I differentiate dy/dx when I have 3 variables then? :confused:

Use the chain rule within the chain rule perhaps?
Reply 16
How do I differentiate dy/dx when I have 3 variables then? :confused:

Use the chain rule within the chain rule perhaps?

can you tell me what your answer would have been for this?

d/dt( t3 dy/dx)
Original post by TeeEm
can you tell me what your answer would have been for this?

d/dt( t3 dy/dx)

(t^3)(d^2y/dx^2)(dy/dt)+(dy/dx)(3t^2)
Reply 18
(t^3)(d^2y/dx^2)(dy/dt)+(dy/dx)(3t^2)

this should be dx/dt
Original post by TeeEm
this should be dx/dt

Ok... I get that...

Quick Reply

Latest