Computer Science / Electrical Engineering salary after degree - which is best?

Watch
cswizard
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello everybody, firstly I just want to say I am so sorry for this long message but I have posted in another section also, but i am posting in this section because the courses I am interested in will come in this field and also you will all have a lot of knowledge in these fields.

I am 29, and have been working full time in dead end jobs and have decided to take the big step into going back to University Image
Mainly to better my life, and hopefully gain some good education, and aim to be on a much better salary than what I am on now (15k)

I am torn between two completely different degrees which are either Computer Science, or Electronic and Electrical Engineering.
I have done a lot of research into both courses, e.g. what they consist of which is ALOT of hard work, both heavily focused on Maths and more Physics in EEE.
From what I understand, both courses may cover similar topics such as Algorithms and programming. I understand EEE is more practical and CS more theory based looking at software rather than hardware.

I have achieved all my GCSE's, and would say I am stronger in Maths than Science however from what I have read (correct me if I am wrong) but it appears a career in Electrical Engineering is more rewarding (financially and demanding) than Computer Science?

I am not going to lie, I would like to succeed in either of the degrees hopefully with a one year placement and look to eventually, after experience, be on a good salary, because thats what I am aiming for. I would like to aim for a career which pays better but I am torn between the two courses.

May I also add, I have spoken to the Unis I am interested in which both offer degrees in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering, and next week I either start an Access to HE in Computing OR Engineering Technology.

The problem is that the Unis are advising me that if i want to study Computer Science at Uni, then they require me to study the Access to Computing course but if I want to study Electrical Engineering then I must take the Access to Engineering and Technology.

The modules for each course are listed below:

Access to HE in Computing:

Module: Computing Fundamentals Credits

Computer Systems 6
Event Driven Programming 6
Systems Analysis 6
Software Design & Development ( VB.NET) 3

Total - 21 Credits

Module: Computing

Relational Databases 3
Desktop Support 3
Installing, Configuring & Maintaining Systems 3
Mobile Computing 3
Networking 6
Website Development 3
Mathematics for Computing 3
Total - 24 Credits

Module: Skills for Learning and ICT 15 Credits

Total 60 Credits

The computing course will also have an additional module which is Advanced Mathematics.
Unis are requesting I get distinctions in Advanced Maths, maths for computing, and all the programming modules to gain access to the Computer Science degrees. They have stated if I do this course I cannot gain entry onto any of the Electrical Engineering degrees, even the Computer Science combined with EE.

The modules for the Access to Engineering course is:

MATHEMATICS MODULES (LEVEL 3)

3DM1 - Unit 1 Foundations in Mathematics: Introduction to Mathematical Topics
3DM2 - Unit 2 Theories and Perspectives in Mathematics: Building Mathematical Skills
3DM4 - Unit 4 Practical Skills in Mathematics: Examined Mathematical Skills

Total of 15 Credits

FURTHER MATHS MODULES (LEVEL 3)

3DFM - Further Mathematics

Total of 6 Credits

ENGINEERING SCIENCE MODULES (LEVEL 3)

3DES1 - Unit 1 Foundations in Engineering Science: Engineering Science Concepts
3DES2- Unit 2 Theories and Perspectives in Engineering Science: Principles of Electrical Science
3DES3- Unit 3 Topics and Themes in Engineering Science: Engineering Experimentation and Investigation
3DES4- Unit 4 Practical Skills in Engineering Science: Mechanical Engineering Technologies

Total of 21 Credits

PHYSICS MODULES (LEVEL 3)

Unit 1- Foundations in Physics: Basic Mechanics
Unit 2- Theories and Perspectives in Physics: Heat, Materials and Atoms
Unit 3- Topics and Themes in Physics: Oscillations and Waves
Unit 4- Practical Skills in Physics: Electricity, Fields and Electromagnetism

Total of 21 Credits

SUSTAINABLE ENERGY ENGINEERING (LEVEL 3
)

3DSS4 - Sustainable Energy Engineering (Standalone Unit)

Total of 6 Credits

HE Toolkit - 3 credits

As you can see, the Access to Engineering is heavily Maths and Physics focused, thus why the Unis are saying I must do this for access onto the EEE courses but if I do this Access course they will NOT allow me entry onto Computer Science!!!

So to conclude guys, I have like less than a week to decide which Access course to take, one will lead me to Computer Science, one to EEE.

I really dont know which career will be more rewarding, as after all, this is all for my future to gain a better life...

Also as this is the Careers thread, I am guessing some of you reading this have had or are having a career in the Computer Science / I.T field - whether that be a programmer, software developer, or any other roles.
So maybe you can advise me what degree you did, and if you would advise it?

I am not asking anybody to enclose their salary of course lol, but just an estimation of what path to take to gain a rewarding career please.

Thank you

Jay
Vibenation
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cswizard)
Hello everybody, firstly I just want to say I am so sorry for this long message but I have posted in another section also, but i am posting in this section because the courses I am interested in will come in this field and also you will all have a lot of knowledge in these fields.

I am 29, and have been working full time in dead end jobs and have decided to take the big step into going back to University Image
Mainly to better my life, and hopefully gain some good education, and aim to be on a much better salary than what I am on now (15k)

I am torn between two completely different degrees which are either Computer Science, or Electronic and Electrical Engineering.
I have done a lot of research into both courses, e.g. what they consist of which is ALOT of hard work, both heavily focused on Maths and more Physics in EEE.
From what I understand, both courses may cover similar topics such as Algorithms and programming. I understand EEE is more practical and CS more theory based looking at software rather than hardware.

I have achieved all my GCSE's, and would say I am stronger in Maths than Science however from what I have read (correct me if I am wrong) but it appears a career in Electrical Engineering is more rewarding (financially and demanding) than Computer Science?

I am not going to lie, I would like to succeed in either of the degrees hopefully with a one year placement and look to eventually, after experience, be on a good salary, because thats what I am aiming for. I would like to aim for a career which pays better but I am torn between the two courses.

May I also add, I have spoken to the Unis I am interested in which both offer degrees in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering, and next week I either start an Access to HE in Computing OR Engineering Technology.

The problem is that the Unis are advising me that if i want to study Computer Science at Uni, then they require me to study the Access to Computing course but if I want to study Electrical Engineering then I must take the Access to Engineering and Technology.

The modules for each course are listed below:

Access to HE in Computing:

Module: Computing Fundamentals Credits

Computer Systems 6
Event Driven Programming 6
Systems Analysis 6
Software Design & Development ( VB.NET) 3

Total - 21 Credits

Module: Computing

Relational Databases 3
Desktop Support 3
Installing, Configuring & Maintaining Systems 3
Mobile Computing 3
Networking 6
Website Development 3
Mathematics for Computing 3
Total - 24 Credits

Module: Skills for Learning and ICT 15 Credits

Total 60 Credits

The computing course will also have an additional module which is Advanced Mathematics.
Unis are requesting I get distinctions in Advanced Maths, maths for computing, and all the programming modules to gain access to the Computer Science degrees. They have stated if I do this course I cannot gain entry onto any of the Electrical Engineering degrees, even the Computer Science combined with EE.

The modules for the Access to Engineering course is:

MATHEMATICS MODULES (LEVEL 3)

3DM1 - Unit 1 Foundations in Mathematics: Introduction to Mathematical Topics
3DM2 - Unit 2 Theories and Perspectives in Mathematics: Building Mathematical Skills
3DM4 - Unit 4 Practical Skills in Mathematics: Examined Mathematical Skills

Total of 15 Credits

FURTHER MATHS MODULES (LEVEL 3)

3DFM - Further Mathematics

Total of 6 Credits

ENGINEERING SCIENCE MODULES (LEVEL 3)

3DES1 - Unit 1 Foundations in Engineering Science: Engineering Science Concepts
3DES2- Unit 2 Theories and Perspectives in Engineering Science: Principles of Electrical Science
3DES3- Unit 3 Topics and Themes in Engineering Science: Engineering Experimentation and Investigation
3DES4- Unit 4 Practical Skills in Engineering Science: Mechanical Engineering Technologies

Total of 21 Credits

PHYSICS MODULES (LEVEL 3)

Unit 1- Foundations in Physics: Basic Mechanics
Unit 2- Theories and Perspectives in Physics: Heat, Materials and Atoms
Unit 3- Topics and Themes in Physics: Oscillations and Waves
Unit 4- Practical Skills in Physics: Electricity, Fields and Electromagnetism

Total of 21 Credits

SUSTAINABLE ENERGY ENGINEERING (LEVEL 3
)

3DSS4 - Sustainable Energy Engineering (Standalone Unit)

Total of 6 Credits

HE Toolkit - 3 credits

As you can see, the Access to Engineering is heavily Maths and Physics focused, thus why the Unis are saying I must do this for access onto the EEE courses but if I do this Access course they will NOT allow me entry onto Computer Science!!!

So to conclude guys, I have like less than a week to decide which Access course to take, one will lead me to Computer Science, one to EEE.

I really dont know which career will be more rewarding, as after all, this is all for my future to gain a better life...

Also as this is the Careers thread, I am guessing some of you reading this have had or are having a career in the Computer Science / I.T field - whether that be a programmer, software developer, or any other roles.
So maybe you can advise me what degree you did, and if you would advise it?

I am not asking anybody to enclose their salary of course lol, but just an estimation of what path to take to gain a rewarding career please.

Thank you

Jay
If you going to choose a subject, choose it for the right reasons. Not the financial rewards. A degree is 3 years of your life. Its a commitment. You could end up going for a degree and dropping out in the first year because it was "financial rewarding". Think about your other options, no one can do it expect for yourself. I was in your position, my choice ended up being do Business Information Technology degree. I would say if you can't get into computer science degree program. Go for Computing. If you into the business side of things, maybe go for IT management for business which is endorsed by multiple employers and has a high success and employment rate. If you into engineering and like the idea of getting your hand dirty, making and using hardware. There is Computer Systems Engineering, Electric engineering, networks. However they will still be learning software in it as well. Call up universities and do course enquiries and call up the lecturers and give it a go. Stick with Computing access course for now. Its still possible to do engineering based degree dependant on grades. Most of my mates that done IT in college, manage to do EE degree in uni so all hope not lost.
cswizard
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I fully appreciate what you are saying Vibenation, i am intrigued by both subjects and I cant help but look at the financial incentives also, after all I would like to better my life after struggling so much. Oh great, have you graduated and what are you doing now?

I really am swaying towards the Computing Access course due to my love for computing as a whole, and the maths modules and programming will also be interesting, however I just know the Uni's wont make me offers for Engineering degrees with it.

Aston uni had a course - BEng Electronic Engineering & Computer Science - i e mailed the head of the dept and he said I would have to do Access to Engineering, yet if I just did Computer Science, I have to do Computing :s

Oh wow, you say your friends did I.T at college and now do some EE courses? Could you elaborate on this - e.g. which I.T courses did they do, and where or what exactly are they studying now?

Thanks
Vibenation
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cswizard)
I fully appreciate what you are saying Vibenation, i am intrigued by both subjects and I cant help but look at the financial incentives also, after all I would like to better my life after struggling so much. Oh great, have you graduated and what are you doing now?

I really am swaying towards the Computing Access course due to my love for computing as a whole, and the maths modules and programming will also be interesting, however I just know the Uni's wont make me offers for Engineering degrees with it.

Aston uni had a course - BEng Electronic Engineering & Computer Science - i e mailed the head of the dept and he said I would have to do Access to Engineering, yet if I just did Computer Science, I have to do Computing :s

Oh wow, you say your friends did I.T at college and now do some EE courses? Could you elaborate on this - e.g. which I.T courses did they do, and where or what exactly are they studying now?

Thanks
Yeah I fill in you with everything you need to know.

No I haven't graduated. I am going into my 2nd year now in my course. I am also aiming for placement next year to keep myself one step ahead. I made mistakes in my first year that I regret and meant I didn't do as well I should have but I learnt my lesson and use my experience from first year to perform better into my second year.

First year on most degree is to teach you from the basics and be a repeat of you already learnt in college. Everyone I know got the same opinion and looking at most programmes. So don't stress if you ever get into uni.

A few that I know, which I mention had done Level 3 BTEC course in IT and manage into different types of courses. One that I know done Electric Engineering, a few done Network management degree, one of them got into Interactive media degree. One of them even got into Aerospace engineering. I got offered Engineering foundation year back in 2011 but decided to take a gap year and redeveloped myself. I had thought about what degree I wanted to do. I kept going back on forth between Network based course or Computer Science until I thought I would much rather do Business and IT instead and if I wanted to do another subject afterwards then do Postgraduate course in another subject in few years time.

Most universities would let you go on Engineering based degree, although they could be strict so they offer Foundation year for people that don't have the right subject. So foundation year might be another option. Bad thing is that an extra year at university. Don't limit your option when it comes to applying university. Consider a wide range, most ex-poly like Huddersfield university, Sheffield Hallam etc are very vocational based and might have great faculties and reputation in the subject you interested in. Research is key here.
wyw
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What do you consider a good salary?
I do not know the salary of an Electrical Engineer after graduation but for Computer Science it varies dramatically, majority of them being £22k+.

Top tech companies usually pay £27k+ , investment banking technology pays £38k+ - like it said, it varies dramatically. Some of my friends in investment banking tech earn £38k, others earn £42k and I know one who earns £50k - this is just starting salary alone.

Tech companies like Accenture, IBM, Microsoft, Google, Twitter - they pay £30k+ depending on position. I know one who works for one of these companies and their starting salary is £50k.

Big4 Tech and banks, their salary is usually £27k+ too.

Smaller companies, i would say £22k-23k

Also don't believe the non-sense people keep blabbing about - how the University you majored in determines what kind of salary you will earn after graduation.
For Computer Science especially, institution plays a very small part. If you are smart, creative and show ambition, you can land a job at an Investment Bank. During University, work on your own projects, possibly creating apps or developing websites - maybe work on some open source projects. This will catch the attention of employers and you will surely land yourself a very good paying job after graduating.

I hope this helps, this is my view as a Computer Science graduate.
I do not know any Electrical Engineers so can't help you on that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (720)
33.85%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (911)
42.83%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (403)
18.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.37%

Watched Threads